Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 03:14 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,716,443 times

Advertisements

I don't understand why people buy them... the only thing that would make me get in a dinky thing like that is SUPERIOR mpg's. These get, on average, mpg's in the mid 30's....!!!! Thats horrible for something that small!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 03:16 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,716,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
As ugly as they are, these cars make a great deal of sense in dense cities like San Francisco. I was driving around for 15+ minutes trying to find parking in lower downtown SF some time back and saw one of these smart cars fill a tiny parallel parking spot by parking perpendicular to the curb. The short length still made it a good fit and the car wasn't sticking out any more than a parallel parked truck or SUV. I'd kill to have a small car like that just for city driving.
That would certainly be convenient to park cars like that... however I think a lot of law changing would be needed.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:39 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times
I like them, but I have a couple of problems with them. The lack of a back seat is one, and the lack of a normal manual transmission is the other. I do like that the starting price is only about $12000 though. Of course, I still couldn't afford one even at that price, and I'd prefer an older Civic with a real manual transmission anyway. Mine and my brother's 91 hatchback often gets better gas mileage than the Smart car (record was 46 mpg mostly in town).

Old 12-30-2009, 04:46 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
I was watching some You Tube videos and these tonka toys are actually rear wheel drive. That makes them even more unable to deal with snow or ice.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:12 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times
For a small car, I'd prefer something like this:

http://english.auto.vl.ru/catalog_photos/daihatsu/move/daihatsu_move_14338.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-30-2009, 06:40 PM

29,469 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
I don't understand why people buy them... the only thing that would make me get in a dinky thing like that is SUPERIOR mpg's. These get, on average, mpg's in the mid 30's....!!!! Thats horrible for something that small!

I wonder how much they weigh ? I've got a 6800lb 4wd extended cab pickup that gets 21-22mpg.. I know it's no 30+ but the Smart just doesn't cut it. I do understand in large cities where parking could be an issue BUT if you live in a city like that don't most people walk or take public transit ?

Old 12-30-2009, 07:27 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,211,316 times
IMO, the Smart is about a $8,000 car. I've seen one disassembled and there isn't anything to them. A little 3 cyl engine, a clutchless manual and a hell of a lot of plastic. However if they sold them for $8K they couldn't build them fast enough. But they don't. The sell it for $13K - $17K and for that, there are a lot of other better options. It's really disappointing as it doesn't get that good of gas mileage considering it's size.

It costs so much because it's made in Western Europe where labor is high and the exchange rate to the dollar kills them. If Mercedes wants significant sales in North America, they are going to need to stick a factory in NA to build them.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:53 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,039,693 times
The Smart car would not work for me, I don't live in a crowded city (thank god!). I does not get that good of gas mileage and has limited passenger capability. It also, apparently, has a substandard transmission, at least as sold in the U.S.

But...

to trash this car because you do not understand it is a bit silly. It has its place for certain people in certain situations.

To say it is unsafe really shows an ignorance of the car:

"The smart fortwo meets or exceeds all federal government crash test standards, including a 5-star side crash rating, and the highest scores for front and side crashes from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. In addition, the vehicle’s safety management system is equipped with advanced crash avoidance (active safety) and crash protection (passive safety) systems that come standard on all models.

The highlight of the safety management system is the tridion safety cell. The safety cell is made from steel, half of which is high-strength material, especially in highly stressed areas. The cell is designed to keep occupants protected. The reinforced steel and the design of the car, including the wheel bases, allow the distribution of the crash energy.

The smart fortwo comes standard with four airbags (two full-sized front and two side for head and thorax protection). Other safety features such as Electronic Stability Program (esp®), Brake Assist and anti-lock brakes are also standard."

Old 12-30-2009, 08:32 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebat View Post
I don't know exact figures, but for the space/storage, and safety you sacrifice, they don't get as good mpg as you would expect.
My friend bought the Canadian version, had it upfitted for the US market, paying $30k in the process. He is a micro-car guy who wanted to get the vehicle before it was introduced. He is averaging approximately 50 mpg.

Most of my friends who bought the US version are averaging much closer to 40 mpg which is pretty depressing for that small of a car. Personally, you could get that out of a Yaris and you would have some storage room.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:42 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ963 View Post
I think you can actually get pretty similar mileage in a Civic, which is a "real car."
A Civic isn't particularly close, but the Fit comes pretty close, and the Fit is basically the new Civic since the Civic bloated itself out of its original target market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart