Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2010, 01:51 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,928,096 times

Advertisements

So for quite some time I've suffered from mild-to-moderate depression. Rather than being "sad," most of what I feel is overall malaise, apathy, and lack of motivation to get much done (I'm not self-harming or suicidal in any way). Coupled with the fact that I've been kind of unemployed for a bit, it has gotten worse and I'm sick of having it rule my life.

Anyhow, I figured before spending the $$ on therapy, or trying conventional anti-depressant drugs, I'd try SAM-e as I've heard good things about it with very little side effects.

I have to say, I know it's probably a placebo effect at the point as I've only been on it for a few days (400 mg each day, empty stomach) but the past few days have been the best feeling I've had in MONTHS. I can't wait to see how I feel after taking it for several weeks.

Anyhow, has anyone else here taken it? Just looking for general opinions and such.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 10:07 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,723,383 times
Yep, i have on and off over the years and i've perceived that it is beneficial, ie; that it's effective.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:20 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,253,321 times
Check your nutritional intake too. Those types of things are good for the quick fix, but those feelings could be from something in your diet. Since you are watching what you eat anyway, I thought you may find it something interesting to do for yourself. Also if you really kicked out a lot of unhealthy chemically addictive foods you should replace those with highly nutritious foods high in B vitamins. This will make you brain naturally dose out good feelings. It takes your brain much longer to self fix than your body.

Over exercise can cause depression/feeling tired. Undereating your cals makes it worse. I don't know if thats your case but since you were looking at what you are doing I thought it might be fun to stew with in deciding you next fitness & health steps.

Quick snapshot calculator: (includes calories and nutrients)
NutritionData BMI & Calories Burned Calculator

So if you track and see something is kinda low you can click on the nutrient links in that link for food type suggestions.

Vitamin Defiencies and Depression - Can Vitamins Help Depression

^^^ covers the b vitamin stuff

If you are experiencing a folic acid deficiency you can feel like you do, plus it can cause problems with digesting meat. Folic acid allows your body to make its own SAM-e (S-adenosyl methionine).

This low level of folic acid can happen from taking birth control (see link for info source). I thought you said you were on BC?
Yeh? Nah?

Old 04-01-2010, 03:20 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,928,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Check your nutritional intake too. Those types of things are good for the quick fix, but those feelings could be from something in your diet. Since you are watching what you eat anyway, I thought you may find it something interesting to do for yourself. Also if you really kicked out a lot of unhealthy chemically addictive foods you should replace those with highly nutritious foods high in B vitamins. This will make you brain naturally dose out good feelings. It takes your brain much longer to self fix than your body.

Over exercise can cause depression/feeling tired. Undereating your cals makes it worse. I don't know if thats your case but since you were looking at what you are doing I thought it might be fun to stew with in deciding you next fitness & health steps.

Quick snapshot calculator: (includes calories and nutrients)
NutritionData BMI & Calories Burned Calculator

So if you track and see something is kinda low you can click on the nutrient links in that link for food type suggestions.

Vitamin Defiencies and Depression - Can Vitamins Help Depression

^^^ covers the b vitamin stuff

If you are experiencing a folic acid deficiency you can feel like you do, plus it can cause problems with digesting meat. Folic acid allows your body to make its own SAM-e (S-adenosyl methionine).

This low level of folic acid can happen from taking birth control (see link for info source). I thought you said you were on BC?
Yeh? Nah?
OMG Pitt--you rock!

The thing that makes me think that it might not be overexercising is because I've had this feeling of depression from before I exercised at all. What was happening, though, is that I'd be so busy that I couldn't stop to think about whether I felt down or not. When I run, I actually get a bit of a 'boost' that temporarily makes me feel better...but unfortunately it only lasts like 2 hours after I finish.

At the moment I take folic acid but I'm going to up my dose, also because I've read that taking extra can help the absorption of the SAM-e and help it work better. Yes, I am on BC--which is the reason why I didn't consider St. John's Wort (interacts with it).

However, I do think I need to look into my B vitamin intake. I'm thinking of getting my blood tested to see if I have any sort of B12 deficiency or if I'm anemic, also.

So far, I've felt GREAT today though. So even if it's all in my head, it's definitely helping me!

Old 06-03-2011, 07:55 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,609,454 times
I'm also thinking of trying this. I worry that w/ anxiety/depression that I'll have trouble calming down if this works as an antidepressant. What does anyone use to relax? I have ativan but don't like using much. I drink red wine, etc. & this helps, but it is NOT the cure-all for anxiety. I need to treat the depressive effects, thus alleviating (maybe?) some of the anxiety related or caused by the depression. Thanks.

PS - If this thread's too old I'm sorry, & I'll thus make a new one or maybe someone could make my post a new thread? Thank you.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:30 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,419,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
I'm also thinking of trying this. I worry that w/ anxiety/depression that I'll have trouble calming down if this works as an antidepressant. What does anyone use to relax? I have ativan but don't like using much. I drink red wine, etc. & this helps, but it is NOT the cure-all for anxiety. I need to treat the depressive effects, thus alleviating (maybe?) some of the anxiety related or caused by the depression. Thanks.

PS - If this thread's too old I'm sorry, & I'll thus make a new one or maybe someone could make my post a new thread? Thank you.
I tried Sam-e back when it first came on the market. It started having an effect in a short amount of time, and at first I felt so good I couldn't believe it. Very upbeat and optimistic about everything. Then, also pretty quickly I swung over to the overstimulated/nervous/anxious side. Tried taking it every other day but still couldn't deal with it. That was so long ago though, I can't remember if that was before or after I figured out how much caffeine can cause anxiety (duh!). If I was drinking a lot of coffee then (I love coffee but have to really limit it) that might be why I couldn't tolerate the Sam-e.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:08 PM

665 posts, read 1,727,850 times
You can manufacture your own SAM-E by eating foods containing methionine and taking folate supplements.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:24 AM

837 posts, read 2,081,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I tried Sam-e back when it first came on the market. It started having an effect in a short amount of time, and at first I felt so good I couldn't believe it. Very upbeat and optimistic about everything. Then, also pretty quickly I swung over to the overstimulated/nervous/anxious side. Tried taking it every other day but still couldn't deal with it. That was so long ago though, I can't remember if that was before or after I figured out how much caffeine can cause anxiety (duh!). If I was drinking a lot of coffee then (I love coffee but have to really limit it) that might be why I couldn't tolerate the Sam-e.
I had a similar experience with using SAM-E about two years ago. During the first few weeks, I felt great. After a few weeks, I felt extremely anxious/irrational/irriatable, and luckily, my rational side kicked in and kept me in check. I began to feel my normal (pre-SAM-E) self after a few days.

If I remember correctly, my dosage of SAM-E varied from 800mg to 1600mg. At the time, various folks online (on other messageboards) kept saying that SAM-E does nothing unless you take at least 800mg. Looking back, that may have been too much for me.

I am on my second go-around with SAM-E, as I started up again a few days ago after some careful updated research. The difference is that I'm using 400mg/day (2x200mg tablets - once after waking up and one in the late afternoon - both on empty stomaches). If you read feedback posted on Amazon.com, Drugstore.com, etc., a lot of folks report that 800mg or more of SAM-E makes them feel wacky. Instead, the 200mg-400mg range actually works better. Each person's body reacts differently, so your mileage may vary.

Additionally, I am now taking a B-complex vitamin as a supplement to SAM-E. Reason for the B-complex is that various reports are saying that SAM-E's benefits are maximized when you take a B6, B12 and Folic Acid supplement. Again, I didn't take the B-complex during my first run but hope it will help this time around.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:03 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,790,281 times
I have not taken this but I've read that for those it helps, it really helps. But it's not for everyone and in some can make things worse. I'm assuming that if it worked for awhile and then doesn't, you probably have a level built up in your system--like taking iron pills--you take them when you need them and they correct an imbalance. But I'm just talking there--that's what it sounds like and I'd choose the nutritional route. Esp make sure you're getting the protein b/c it helps to make your neurotransmitters.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:02 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,023,874 times
I tried it once and it made me feel sick to my stomach and out of sorts. Ain't nobody got time for that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health