Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 01:28 PM

80 posts, read 96,048 times

Advertisements

I've had them hundreds of times. Mostly when I could see changes coming down the pipe that I thought would adversely effect me. The last time was when I was about to take my physical for my job. That was always a concern for me. The way I deal with it is to draw into myself and get into a deep dark fog, where I can see no way out, and then get pissed at myself for thinking all is lost and get a burst of confidence that usually pulls me through. Some people take medcine for depression, but I think that people should learn to cope with things, in a manner that suits them. I think drugs only mask things and whenever they come off of those drugs, then their problems will still be there. I look at the policies that were inforce awile back that the schools were druging their students for this A.D.D. whatever, and I wonder if that was to help the students or just to let the teachers off the hook for not instilling discipline. I have heard rumors that all those kids that have done these school shootings were on these drugs and had just stopped using them. I also heard that these drugs were never tested on kids to begin with, and no one actually knew how kids would react on them. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 09:47 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,992,795 times
Whatever works. Its not a one size fits all kinda problem regarding depression, and ways to treat it.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:13 PM

88,658 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Drugs alone are not really supposed to be the treatment for most cases of depression. Therapy, exercise, changes to one's lifestyle are all effective. The point of giving medication for depression is supposed to be a kick-start to helping a depressed patient in their therapy and in moving in the right direction. However, it seems as though a lot of people just take the medication, and that's it. You will start to feel alive again, but the underlying issues are still there.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:16 PM

88,658 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Whatever works. Its not a one size fits all kinda problem regarding depression, and ways to treat it.

Yes, good point. There is no one answer for every case.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:54 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,329,850 times
Depression...

Good title, cause it's broad...

I think mortality, makes many depressed...the fact that time is running out...

Time to accomplish things...that being 'poor' won't allow you too...

Watching others succeed, simply cause they have 'money' to do so...

Like that Royal wedding...both sons are pilots...do you know how many aspiring aviation buffs, would love to be born into a family that could afford to send you to pilot school, get you enrolled into the best military institution...and then fly the latest fastest jet??

That alone can trigger depression is some...what I would call a 'mini' dreppresed moment...

Depressed 'moment's arent to be confused or mixed with pro-longed depression...

Also, I have a relative who has Parkinsons disease...that to can bio-chemically spark depresion...

Our bodies are chemical factories...

And all feeling of joy, sadness, happiness, fear ect ect all come from chemically triggered hormones...

As we age, and those harmones begin to decline, many think they are 'depressed' cause they don't feel at 45 what they did at 16....

Also, there's drug induced depression...certain drugs that will make you depressed...by literally changing your brains chemistry...

That's why I like the titel 'Depressed'...which means one can inject many causes and possibilities without being deemed 'going of topic'...

https://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog2...-behavior.html

https://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog2...n-suicide.html

Old 04-29-2011, 09:49 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,797,834 times
I have the prolonged version, like years and years. It got worse when my ex-wife left and I also have a career which is in the toilet. I continually ask myself is this really all there is? I'm extremely depressed over where I am in life and feel like an utter and complete failure everyday for the last couple of years.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:27 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,329,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I have the prolonged version, like years and years. It got worse when my ex-wife left and I also have a career which is in the toilet. I continually ask myself is this really all there is? I'm extremely depressed over where I am in life and feel like an utter and complete failure everyday for the last couple of years.
Your not alone...it's not just you who has those episodes...

(not that that helps)(infact I hope it doesn't trigger another immediate drepressive spell)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health