Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 03:54 PM

2 posts, read 8,061 times

Advertisements

There are common factors that triggers depression in neuron-system. Some of these can be determined through a person's personality and family background. And some are triggered by physical and other psychological conditions.Genetics is one of the major factors causing depression. This runs entirely within the family from generations to generations. Some may elude this condition, but more often, a family member has a greater chance in acquiring depression through family history.Second, stress can possibly lead into depression. Most of the time, people who experience deep trauma can eventually lead to this condition. Family, financial, relationship problems or a death of a loved one can lead to depression. It can also occur when lifestyle is altered, or a big change in your life such as getting fired from work, untimely marriage and graduating from college.

A person's personality likewise trigger depression. A pessimistic perspective in life ends up feeling down all the time. People who have negative mindset and low-esteem are more likely to become depressed compared to people who take life lightly and positively. These attributes may really be caused by low-level depression known as dysthymia.

The physical condition of a person likewise trigger depression. Serious medical conditions such as cancer, heart disease, HIV or Aids can add up to depression. Why? For the most part, since the physical failing and stress they contribute. In fact, depression can make medical conditions worse because it deteriorates the immune system. Also, depression can make pain harder to endure. Depression can be triggered by drugs utilized to cure medical disease in a some cases.

Other factors like eating disorder, anxiety disorders, eating disorders, schizophrenia, and abusive illegal drug intake frequently happen together with depression.

Moderator cut: no ads

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 06-04-2010 at 06:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 11:29 AM

889 posts, read 2,713,689 times
Okay. Now for the cures...

Old 06-28-2010, 11:49 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,215,209 times
Generally speaking, most depression is caused by circumstances in one's life, not a "chemical imbalance" or a physical ailment. Yet many people don't want to hear that and can't or refuse to get it, as our society is all but obsessed with the quick fix and instant gratification. We still have so-called doctors passing out anti-depressants like candy and alleged experts trumpeting this brilliance. Although that said, I gather that pendulum is finally swinging back the other way, even if only because they discovered such things can actually make a person feel worse, not better.

However, depression which is chronic, long-lasting, and seemingly independent of one's life may (repeat: may) indeed be a physical problem. Also, while I'm no New Age groupie, I think the importance of things like a good diet and plenty of rest are often underestimated.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:58 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,386,339 times
- life experiences
- innate physiology

Old 06-28-2010, 01:44 PM

345 posts, read 1,642,448 times
[quote=joey2000;14811221]Generally speaking, most depression is caused by circumstances in one's life, not a "chemical imbalance" or a physical ailment.

Show me some research proving this theory you have just stated as FACT !

well.......?

Old 06-28-2010, 01:56 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,064,782 times
Best cures I've found are:

- donuts
- chocolate ice cream

Old 06-28-2010, 02:00 PM

345 posts, read 1,642,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Best cures I've found are:

- donuts
- chocolate ice cream

hahah.......... and pizza for dessert !

Old 06-28-2010, 06:36 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,386,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityflair View Post
Okay. Now for the cures...
- Exercise
- any activity that increases endorphins, including sex

Old 07-31-2010, 11:32 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,679,819 times
Depression is one of the least understood conditions of the mind. The latest ads on the TV are so misleading, showing somebody looking down and sad just isn't the whole truth of this debilitating mental illness. For starters, those with the Bi-Polar condition and in the manic state are most likely to be upbeat and successful a lot of the time, giving others around them the idea that these folks are good natured and energetic, some don't come down from that manic state for a long time but when they do it can be devastating for their families and themselves.

One other effect of depression is the way in which it affects the ability to make good decisions, being impulsive or compulsive can be an exhausting experience for those whose lives seem upside down most of the time. When you see the poor judgement used by some people and there are no other circumstances that seem to explain these lapses in judgement, poor choices of mates, poor choices of career paths, inability to explain their own actions, these are just a few of the ways in which this ailment causes problems for those who don't fit the TV's notion of the depressed person and therefor don't know they are afflicted.

Patty Duke's book, A Divine Madness tells her story of a depression wracked childhood and the sincere desire she had to know what was wrong with her. She expressed a kind of relief to know that her behavior was not all that voluntary, she knew she was feeling compelled to be the self destructive person she had become. To know that these feelings stem from a medical condition was of great comfort to her because she had hopes of changing the way she felt. That's what depression is really all about, feelings, unwanted feelings, and little hope of change. Now that we have some better technologies in the area of brain electrochemistry scanning the hopes of being able to "see" the affliction are growing, it is truly a debilitating disease and it is very widespread in the US due to the large population of those with northern European ancestry who have a long history of suffering from depression.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:59 PM

192 posts, read 250,586 times
I think depression is like a mental equivalent of a physiological disease: it's casued by toximia or imbalance (unhealthy lifestyle)

I'm following the "Raw-food' trend, and a lot of them say they smile and feel happy for "No reason". I've noticed this too.

Often, the "cures" people reach for are the same things that make the problem worse - like drugs, caffene(fatigue), fat(makes you tired. tired = depressed) ........

Quote:
- donuts
- chocolate ice cream

hahah.......... and pizza for dessert !

and just like drugs, it makes the problem worse..............doesn't it??(otherwise you wouldn't be still needing it). Though junk, fat and over-eating does numb the senses for a few hours, the senses come right back to where they were.

They've got the public right where they want them - in a stupor.

Once I let go of my food addictions, my life instantly became better.

Last edited by Sacman; 07-31-2010 at 01:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health