Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2016, 09:55 AM

2 posts, read 4,017 times

Advertisements

I have been taking Ritalin for extreme depression and have recently found out that long-term Ritalin can cause brain damage so I have been anxious to get off it. I found out about SAM-e and started taking it about three weeks ago. Astonished by how much it helps. It has enabled me to reduce Ritalin down to 5 mg a day and some days zero. No noticeable side effects to SAM-e so far. My brother takes Concerta for ADD and he has had the same experience. Maybe that will change for both of us after taking for prolonged period but at this point we are both ecstatic.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 10:32 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,773,199 times
I tried it two different times, when it first hit the US market and the low dose suggested and it did NOTHING, then years later at a higher dose and again nothing...My friend took the higher dose at the same time and very sick to stomach....got off it...never tried it again.

I had many years of depression, took lots of G.D. drugs and no help...finally getting my Thyroid optimized with the proper thyroid support, all those years of depression lifted....again found a lowness in 2006 and it was Vit D deficiency. I've talked about my issues here and have a strong distaste for all the nasty drugs.

Hopefully the SAMe will continue for you, but again Thyroid!!!

I'm convinced thyroid is the most mis-diagnosed and mis-treated health issue out there..there are some 69 health issues connected to thyroid and it's function, depression is right up there. I went 10 yrs trying to get help.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-18-2016 at 10:54 AM..

Old 06-02-2016, 08:01 AM

2 posts, read 4,017 times
I have read several things about thyroid that are disturbing, especially about difficulty in getting adequate (vs. ignorant) treatment. But this is the first time I've had input relating thyroid problems to depression. Thank you for this – I will face my dread of health professionals and see if I can get help on this. SAM-e definitely helps but not 100%. I take 1600 mg a day and no side effects so far. Grateful to be able to back off on Ritalin since in my case it causes almost crippling joint pain and of course the already mentioned risk of brain damage with long term use.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:18 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,969,317 times
SAM-E is very popular in Europe I believe. I used to suffer from the winter blues in my Denver home. Having neighbors forced me to keep the blinds closed and the house was much too dark during the winter.

Now I have a glorious sunroom and no neighbors than can see into the sunroom or the bedroom. With much more light, I only have a few rough days/year. What shall I do with all of my boxes of SAM-E?

I was certain it helped with the winter blues when that was a problem.

FWIW...one of the more popular anti-depressants is 93% fluoride. Fluoride is an effective rat poison though not currently used for that purpose...in the US.

I am not aware of normal and significant side effects of SAM-E. Petrochemical/psychotropics are well known for significant side effects.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:02 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,773,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
SAM-E is very popular in Europe I believe. I used to suffer from the winter blues in my Denver home. Having neighbors forced me to keep the blinds closed and the house was much too dark during the winter.

Now I have a glorious sunroom and no neighbors than can see into the sunroom or the bedroom. With much more light, I only have a few rough days/year. What shall I do with all of my boxes of SAM-E?

I was certain it helped with the winter blues when that was a problem.

FWIW...one of the more popular anti-depressants is 93% fluoride. Fluoride is an effective rat poison though not currently used for that purpose...in the US.

I am not aware of normal and significant side effects of SAM-E. Petrochemical/psychotropics are well known for significant side effects.
93% fluoride is anti depressant? I'm puzzled by this comment. Fluoride has a long list of toxicity issues and I've never seen it pushed for depression. Oh, maybe you are saying there is fluoride in A/D's...I know it's in prozac which I tried back in 1991 and NOTHING, got off it...this was before I knew so much about the dangers of fluoride.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:19 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,969,317 times
Forgot the name of the one that is 93% fluoride but it is a very popular one. Americans consume more fluoride than the rest of the world put together. Some northern European nations made fluoride illegal....smart people I think.
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
93% fluoride is anti depressant? I'm puzzled by this comment. Fluoride has a long list of toxicity issues and I've never seen it pushed for depression. Oh, maybe you are saying there is fluoride in A/D's...I know it's in prozac which I tried back in 1991 and NOTHING, got off it...this was before I knew so much about the dangers of fluoride.

Old 04-10-2018, 03:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,537 times
I’m on day 6, taking 400mg in the morning of Sam-E (Doctors best) and I have bad headaches. Will these ease off the longer I take Sam-E.

Old 03-19-2020, 10:11 AM

1 posts, read 810 times
Hi Becky. I just joined this forum looking for answers to my questions about SAMe. I've been on a high dose 1600mg SAMe for a week now. Dealing with the dull headaches but it's far preferable to my prior Pristiq side effects. I'm curious to know if your headaches subsided with time?
Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health