Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 02:28 PM

105 posts, read 338,719 times

Advertisements

Since I really haven't seen much info on surrounding suburbs in my searches and in reading of posts from way back, I'll just ask a direct question. Based on the following criteria, which area/suburb of Memphis would you pick? Or possibly if money was not an issue, which one would you choose for your family? I have 4 children - 3 would be in schools come Fall. Hubby would probably be working in the city and wouldn't want to commute more than 45 minutes each way.
  • up to $500k to spend (could be slightly more, but let's just say that's the top
  • best place to find a 5 bedroom home with a pool
  • best public schools available
  • nice neighborhoods - don't have a preference if they're cookie cutter or not
  • any with planned communities, like a golf course community or something of the sort?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 02:45 PM

232 posts, read 989,365 times
Collierville or Germantown. Lots of great homes in your price range with pools, big yards, kid friendly neighborhoods. Both are an easy drive downtown and are close to just about anything you would ever need.

Lakeland would be next choice (no city tax $$$) but you are farther away from lots of amenities like good shopping.

Good luck.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:09 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,386,599 times
I would pick Midtown. Hey, it used to be a "suburb."

In seriousness, sounds like you would enjoy Collierville or Germantown. Those are the 2 most affluent suburbs.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:12 PM

232 posts, read 989,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
I would pick Midtown. Hey, it used to be a "suburb."

In seriousness, sounds like you would enjoy Collierville or Germantown. Those are the 2 most affluent suburbs.
Safest, too

Germantown and Collierville are great places to raise a family!

Old 05-28-2008, 07:46 PM

4 posts, read 12,121 times
I would pick Cordova. I have lived here for 13 years and my parents live close by. I have sent my children to both the public and private schools in Cordova. I am 5 minutes from my children's school, my church, Ballet Memphis, our piano teacher, Kroger, the Farmer's Market at the Agricenter, shopping, restaurants, and the orthodontist and pediatrician. In a time of rising gas costs and a lack of time I value the time and money I save by living close to so many places that I consider important to my life.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:57 PM

774 posts, read 2,584,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pillow View Post
I would pick Cordova. I have lived here for 13 years and my parents live close by. I have sent my children to both the public and private schools in Cordova. I am 5 minutes from my children's school, my church, Ballet Memphis, our piano teacher, Kroger, the Farmer's Market at the Agricenter, shopping, restaurants, and the orthodontist and pediatrician. In a time of rising gas costs and a lack of time I value the time and money I save by living close to so many places that I consider important to my life.
Cordova's not really a suburb anymore; it's in the city of Memphis. The city schools are not exactly considered "the best schools" as the OP is seeking. One could certainly find all the amenities you list in Collierville or Germantown within similar proximity.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:27 PM

4 posts, read 12,121 times
What do you mean the city schools are not as good as Germantown and Collierville? How do you characterize "good" schools? Cordova Middle School is an excellent school and Cordova High has many AP classes to choose from and an outstanding faculty. Also, the private schools are excellent compared to the public schools in Germantown and Collierville. St. Francis's seventh grade class had 49 students who qualified to take the ACT.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillow View Post
What do you mean the city schools are not as good as Germantown and Collierville? How do you characterize "good" schools? Cordova Middle School is an excellent school and Cordova High has many AP classes to choose from and an outstanding faculty. Also, the private schools are excellent compared to the public schools in Germantown and Collierville. St. Francis's seventh grade class had 49 students who qualified to take the ACT.
Objectively, the Memphis City Schools are not of the quality of Germantown and Collierville High School. One can discern this from any number of objective sources of information readily available. The Center for Research in Educational Policy at the University of Memphis is one such excellent source of information. By the schools being under the control of the MCS system, curriculum is set by MCS and is not considered to be of the quality of Shelby County Schools. The policies of governance at the schools are those of Memphis City Schools which are notoriously less effective than those of their county counterpart. One also can not lump in "the private schools of Cordova" into one group when they are varied and controlled by various entitites. St. Benedict does not equal Lamplighter which does not equal FACS or ECS. They all must be judged independently. Private schools surely aren't accurately judged by their geographic location. The best private schools in the area are in the city proper.

The availability of AP classes does not an excellent school make. There is also more to the making of an excellent school than performance on a standardized test.

I think it is terrific you love Cordova. However, the original poster was asking about the best schools in the suburbs. Cordova is not a suburb and the best suburban schools can not be found in the Memphis City School system.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:52 AM

105 posts, read 338,719 times
Excellent info. Thanks! I did read a lot on those 2 particular towns, but the threads always got interlaced with arguments and got totally OT, so it went round and round.

Any idea on where I can find TN school reports. Not schooldigger or bestschools. I mean the actual state reports and/or rankings according to the state, I already checked out the 2 sites I mentioned.

Oh, and I just looked online at houses in the 2 recommended suburbs. Very nice!!!!

Old 05-29-2008, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMee View Post
Excellent info. Thanks! I did read a lot on those 2 particular towns, but the threads always got interlaced with arguments and got totally OT, so it went round and round.

Any idea on where I can find TN school reports. Not schooldigger or bestschools. I mean the actual state reports and/or rankings according to the state, I already checked out the 2 sites I mentioned.

Oh, and I just looked online at houses in the 2 recommended suburbs. Very nice!!!!
Here you go. TN Department of Education: (http://www.k-12.state.tn.us/rptcrd05/ - broken link)

Shelby is the school district. If you scroll to the bottom of the page, there's a drop box where you can choos choose individual schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis