Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 09:35 PM

18 posts, read 62,259 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I are mid-to-late 30s and are looking for a Memphis suburb. We really enjoy running, golfing, road biking, shopping, grilling out, working out in the yard, enjoying our dogs, and being near other people who enjoy the same activities. We would love a really friendly neighborhood with new or newer homes in the $250-300k range. We'll be teaching at the Univ. of Memphis and want to live in TN for income tax reasons. School districts are not important. We're moving from the frozen tundra (aka, upper midwest) and are looking forward to finding a friendly neighborhood after too much midwestern reserve.

Thanks in advance,
Stacey & Eric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 09:31 AM

369 posts, read 1,232,758 times
I would say the top two suburbs in the Memphis area are Germantown and Collierville. Right now Collierville seems to be the top now because of the amenities it offers. It used to be Germantown but they don't have as much room to grow as Collierville does. Lakeland and Arlington are about the same but much smaller and new. They don't really have alot of infastructure and amenities right now because of their size. Arlington is real nice and is where alot folks are moving now and will probably be like Germantown or Collierville in years time but all they really have right now is a Kroger and McDonalds. Forget Bartlett because of your price range. Bartlett is really a 150,000-230,000 type of neighborhood. Still VERY nice but the homes are just a bit cheaper than C'ville, Gtown, Lakeland, and Arlington. C'ville tops. Germantown a close second.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:43 PM

235 posts, read 1,357,497 times
Collierville is nice.. so is Germantown.

Now, Windyke and Southwind is not within the city limits of Memphis. They are Golf Course communities. They are nice... and the rumor is that Collierville will annex them.

They are near Winchester and Forest Hill Irene.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:33 AM

50 posts, read 260,610 times
If that was my budget, I'd echo the previous posters and be looking on the lake in Lakeland, in Southwind/Windyke, Germantown, or Collierville.

The map on zillow.com is fairly handy for visualizing where these suburbs are at and where their borders are. Just zoom out until you can hover with your mouse and see the areas highlight in green. Just keep in mind that their real estate listings aren't always accurate. And if there are no pictures shown except an aerial photo, then the property is probably in contract with someone already, if not already closed. That's been my experience lately while trying to find houses on that site. To me it seems like the best way to get up to date info is to work with a realtor.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:48 AM

Where do you live currently? I have moved around quite a bit..

There are lots of nice areas in Memphis and the surrounding areas. There are also a lot of areas you'll want to stay out of.

Your budget could get you pretty much anywhere except a monster home or something in Belle Meade. ..

Old 08-31-2009, 05:23 PM

369 posts, read 1,232,758 times
Keep in mind that each suburb of Memphis is different in its own way. So one might cater to your needs while the other one doesn't. Germantown is the oldest and will have homes that are much older and bigger with tall trees which makes it real pretty. Collierville is younger and will have newer homes and newer subdivisions. Lakeland and Arlington are new and smaller. Lakeland seems to be nothing but houses IMO. They seem to have alot of gated communities. Arlington is the newest of the bunch and it is definitely more community oriented. The bad thing about Arlington is that it's a bit of a drive to everything because of its location. Also, all of these towns have about the same housing developments as far as square footage goes and price.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:25 AM

340 posts, read 1,314,630 times
Southwind and Windyke are in the Memphis annexation reserve area and I can't see a circumstance where Memphis would give that up and let Collierville annex these neighborhoods. Whether you think that is a good thing or not, it is something to be aware of before moving into these areas.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:31 AM

845 posts, read 2,542,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofMGrad92 View Post
Southwind and Windyke are in the Memphis annexation reserve area and I can't see a circumstance where Memphis would give that up and let Collierville annex these neighborhoods. Whether you think that is a good thing or not, it is something to be aware of before moving into these areas.

You are correct about the Memphis reserve area. Memphis has had Southwind, which is a very up scale area, in the annexation crosshairs for almost 10 years, but legal maneuvering, connections with FedEx, and the lessons learned from Hickory hill, have kept this area from being annexed. To get out of Memphis reserve you have to be east of Forest-Hill Irene.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:02 AM

Anything east of HC wasn't annexed.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:50 AM

658 posts, read 847,663 times
Check out Bartlett/Arlington off of Ols Brownsville. Very nice suburb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis