Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 07:14 PM

209 posts, read 722,191 times

Advertisements

Aloha everyone,

What is it about Maui that makes people want to move there? My husband and I have been coming to Maui for about 6 years now. We visit once and sometimes twice every year. After our second visit to Maui we just about packed up everything we owned and moved there. We had contracted Maui Fever and nothing was gonna stop us, except that little voice in my head that said "Are you really gonna do this? maybe you better think twice". Well, we took a minute and came back to reality. Don't get me wrong we love love Maui, but to vacation and to live there are two entirely different things. Since we came to our senses I've really taken notice to every person that I know that's returned from Maui. The first thing out of their mouth is "We're moving there". Anymore, I look at them and say Yep!! I know that feeling, it will pass ". Now, with some people it may not pass, they may move to Maui and it may work out and I think that's awesome!! But...being normal working Haole's from the mainland, it just doesn't seem smart for us. We would sacrifice an awful lot. With that said, my question is, what is it really about Maui that comes over people? It must be a great Hawaiian spirit or something

By the way, will be back to Maui in about a week. What can I say
Warm Alohas!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 07:27 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly4Sun View Post
Aloha everyone,

What is it about Maui that makes people want to move there? My husband and I have been coming to Maui for about 6 years now. We visit once and sometimes twice every year. After our second visit to Maui we just about packed up everything we owned and moved there. We had contracted Maui Fever and nothing was gonna stop us, except that little voice in my head that said "Are you really gonna do this? maybe you better think twice". Well, we took a minute and came back to reality. Don't get me wrong we love love Maui, but to vacation and to live there are two entirely different things. Since we came to our senses I've really taken notice to every person that I know that's returned from Maui. The first thing out of their mouth is "We're moving there". Anymore, I look at them and say Yep!! I know that feeling, it will pass ". Now, with some people it may not pass, they may move to Maui and it may work out and I think that's awesome!! But...being normal working Haole's from the mainland, it just doesn't seem smart for us. We would sacrifice an awful lot. With that said, my question is, what is it really about Maui that comes over people? It must be a great Hawaiian spirit or something

Warm Alohas!!
I'm always shocked by how many people come to vacation in Hawaii and lose all sense of reality and move here - then blow all their savings - think living here is like vacation - think they can downsize but can't - shocked they can't make money here. These are people who otherwise are reasonably sane making terrible decisions.

Living here and vacationing here is not the same.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:36 PM

209 posts, read 722,191 times
Exactly! whtviper1,

That's what I'm saying. It's like being bit by a bug or something. It's amazing to me. I'm just glad we came to our senses We will always come to Maui for our annual vacations and maybe one day be able to stay a few months at a time, but in reality living there isn't feasible for us. However; we are going to be shipping Oregon Christmas wreaths,swags, gift baskets and cinnamon scented pine-cones starting Christmas 2012. Will see how it goes .

Old 03-11-2012, 09:36 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,565 times
I can understand wanting to live on Maui. What I don't understand is how people think they can just up and move to a place with a very high cost of living without doing any real research, lots of planning and even more saving! While I am sure there are those that have done that and made it work, I bet that percentage is very low.

Last edited by McFrostyJ; 03-11-2012 at 09:44 PM..

Old 03-13-2012, 01:14 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,750,953 times
I've never had "Maui fever" but I did get "Oahu fever" and lived there for eleven years. Sometimes a place just speaks to you.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:45 PM

820 posts, read 3,035,836 times
It's not just here. People move to Las Vegas, New York, Los Angeles... many places where they might associate with a dream they want fulfilled.

Thank goodness we live somewhere that people think is so great!! Imagine living somewhere from which people only wanted to move away. Yikes.

Thursday and Anyday are good days to count your blessings.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:05 PM

8 posts, read 15,558 times
Sometimes a place just speaks to you. I agree completly.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:37 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
However; we are going to be shipping Oregon Christmas wreaths,swags, gift baskets and cinnamon scented pine-cones starting Christmas 2012.
Be sure to get all your Department of Agriculture permits in order. Every year some hapless entrepreneur or another gets their entire shipment of Christmas greenery turned back and returned to the Pacific Northwest because of paperwork issues.

Good luck with it!

Old 04-12-2012, 11:36 PM

805 posts, read 1,510,304 times
Quote:
Aloha everyone,

Warm Alohas!!

The majority of tourists who visit Maui would never be able to afford to rent or buy the very condo unit and area that they stay at and are so thrilled about. They'd only be able to afford housing in a neighborhood that wouldn't be as nice as the beach-front, garden paradise, swaying palm tree, dog barking-less, centipede-less tourist experience.

There is a reality in Maui, and it's not in the guide books.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:39 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,612 times
Beware, those urges to move here often times turn into "rock fever", when the urge is to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: