Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 10:17 AM

210 posts, read 971,940 times

Advertisements

Guys,
I hope you can help us
My husband got a good job in Maui, he is a doctor, the job is great. he is moving there in August. I have to decide if i can live there. I ve been there and loved it, but i hear a lot of how it is not the same when you live there, that there is isnald fever and that people do not last.
We live in Manhattan now, so it would be a huge adjustment for me, i would have to quit my job, which I love, leave all my friends, and go to Maui to be a housewife. I am 29, no kids. So I am really scared that i would get Island fewer and get very lonely.
Can you please share your experiences with me? did anyone move to Maui from mainland? how did it go? is it true that it is hard to be accepted by the asian community? We are Russian, so we are white, but not american. it is already hard for us to be foreing, even in such a diverse place as New York. I am afraid that moving to Hawaii will only add to this challenge.

thank you!

Julia

Last edited by JuliaHuff; 05-08-2008 at 10:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 09:53 AM

76 posts, read 154,152 times
Hi or aloha

I am interested in what people say to you. From what I have read it would seem that for the most part everyone is quite friendly. You might share what your job was that you will be giving up. What you like about living in Manhattan? Do you love the snow or tolerate it? Are you planning on starting a family? Do you get together frequently with extended family, and would they have the capacity to visit or you visit them? Those kind of things. If you do move a good philosophy might be "It is what it is, but it will be what you make it"

Linda

Old 11-28-2012, 10:10 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,051,613 times
Well let's just say that in 4-1/2 years, the original poster hasn't received a reply to this thread, so you've already seen what people have said to them. Also, they haven't posted anywhere on here since March of 2009. If you have a burning desire to chat with them, you could always try a private message and maybe they'll get e-mail notification of it. Or not.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:37 AM

242 posts, read 391,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
Well let's just say that in 4-1/2 years, the original poster hasn't received a reply to this thread, so you've already seen what people have said to them.
Or...in sifting through 4.5 years worth of threads, did Linda (Lanormun) not see numerous other threads that would have answered her questions?

Old 11-28-2012, 02:29 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,697 times
Site hint:
To find the posting activity of someone, click on their User Name (at top of posting, in blue on the left), and in the drop down menu choose “View all posts by…”. Going to the OP's later postings, she did not like it here, and tells of her experience.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:37 PM

76 posts, read 154,152 times
lol
it was a link on an email and I didn't eve look at the post date. I am not very good at this yet. Yes I do read some of the threads and I have found out some interesting info- mainly it is expensive and its about the lifestyle. I don't know I was just looking to see if things are still the same, some things are quite different here in the mainland after the recent challenges in the economy.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:42 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,570,789 times
Try googling 'ten things I hate most about living on maui', lots of invaluable info there...

A'ole aka aka, a'ole ha................

Old 11-28-2012, 08:03 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,825,814 times
[quote=Jungjohann;27130029]Try googling 'ten things I hate most about living on maui', lots of invaluable info there...

A'ole aka aka, a'ole ha................[/quote
Instead, I Googled the words at the end. A'ole= Your.
What does the rest mean? Couldn't find it.
I always wish I knew what your salutations mean.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:44 PM

662 posts, read 1,259,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaHuff View Post
bob, I am not coping at all, it is just way too expensive, and getting more and more expensive, I cant believe milk is already over $10. we are doing baby shopping, and the prices just make me cry. We did not ship our cat here, because we are leaving as soon as the baby is born. we cant afford to live here, there is no point, we'd rather be in a cheaper state where we can save and afford more.
My mother is coming to help with the baby, round trip from russia is almost 3 K, plus for us to go to Russia to see the family and show them the baby-$3K for each of us. we are talking about almost 10K in plane tickets alone. there is no point. there are no jobs here for me, and my husband can find a job anywhere, with the same salary he has now. We are having a kid, so we want to live in a state where we can afford to save for our kid's education, retirement, and just in general not having to pay $10 for milk and $7 for 4 little bottles of pediolite.
Yeah, you can survive here, but is it worth it? no, not really.
we just want a normal life, where we dont have to shake each time we go to grocery store....even Texas sounds very appealing to me right now.
Julia
Well that didn't go well.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:02 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadd1014 View Post
Well that didn't go well.
She has a interesting posting history - arrived in Maui about mid-Sept 2008 - and it was a complete train wreck of a move by mid-October.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui