Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 08:43 PM

209 posts, read 722,191 times

Advertisements

Yes, there is definitely the realities of Maui. We've seen the realities after becoming a part of an ohana of local Mauians and seeing how they both have to work 2 jobs, just to make rent on a very small home, in a not so nice area. However, In-spite of this, We still love Maui, always will and we will always return, but as a guests, not as full time residence. We're thankful for seeing the realities of everyday life in Maui. I think it's very important for everyone that wishes to move to Hawaii to see that. In my opinion, if you're just regular working folks like us, it may be a struggle. I was born and raised in Laguna Beach, California, I know all about poverty with a view ha!! Been there, done that .

Warm Aloha's Everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 08:47 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
I always have Hawaii fever...only lived there a month and have visited about 5 times in the same amount of years, but there is a feeling you get when you fit somewhere.

No illusions about the cost of living and the lack of amenities. Living and driving and working and shopping in Oahu cured me of that.

Anyway, have a new baby...we will visit often, but I don't want to to raise a family there.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:58 PM

209 posts, read 722,191 times
@stan4,

Yep! Maui fever strikes us the minute we get on the plane to fly back to the mainland ha! Like you, we do feel we fit in and that's a good feeling. The only problem is, our pocket books don't quite fit in .

Old 04-15-2012, 08:27 AM

18,391 posts, read 19,027,378 times
for many many people, any hardship along with the cost of living is off set by maui herself and despite it all have no regrets. life isn't easy anywhere

Old 04-29-2012, 03:42 PM

42 posts, read 88,713 times
So here's why I have Maui fever -- I live in Seattle and the weather is so unbelievably depressing. Rainy, lots of traffic, just plain yuck. It's the only place I have ever lived. I want to move away regardless as I am in my early 20's and it's just time to start building my life in a place that I feel I will be happy. I feel like Maui is safe, beautiful and has a lot of opportunity in the tourism industry.

As far as cost of living goes, I don't have kids and I don't mind roommates so I'll figure something out

I'm pretty sure I have a bad case of Maui fever but I will at least wait until I can get a job lined up.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:40 PM

536 posts, read 481,305 times
cstoner, I totally admire your enthusiasm. I am hoping that I will find a way to head out to Maui myself next year. If I do, you'll have to give me some tips. i asked someone in our age group on another forum, and this is what they said:
Quote:
Jobs on Maui are scarce. But you can always make it work. It would be a life choice, NO 6 figures jobs, a few mid to high 5 figure jobs, mostly 30-45k around. As for savings? I'd say just give it a shot with 10-12k and REALLY GO FOR IT. Give yourself an honest shot at making it out here, and you may not find the ideal job right away. Its a great lifestyle though.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:24 AM

20 posts, read 27,843 times
It's what I call a "love-hate" relationship, can't live without it, but when you're there for a long enough time, you want out. I've been frustrated by the jam-up traffic and crowds at Kahului -- Safeway is a madhouse, and now big plans for more development projects there, expanding the airport...it's not the quiet little lovely island abode it used to be, same with Kauai. Kauai's north shore got "discovered" and now every jerk and homeless nitwit has moved there by hook or crook and turned the place into a druggie scene. There are a lot of meth addicts there and they try to run you off the road, they drive HUGE trucks that don't fit on the narrow road that was built in the 1800s. People are killed all the time on that road. Maui is more civilized, but I understand the sentiment. When I'm not there, I miss it to pieces, but when I'm there for a few weeks, the honeymoon wears off.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:31 AM

35 posts, read 96,334 times
I too and dealing with a bought of "the fever". We are in the process of planning to move there next year. It is a strange effect on perfectly sane people, but those who get it, get hit hard. For my wife and I, it was less of an infection than a reactiviation of a dormant virus. You see, I spend my childhood in the country side of a tropical island, and she spent her first years running around the beach in Oahu. So Maui just reached into our souls and pushed those buttons.

In order to make the dream into a viable reality, we have visited twice this year just to do research. We met with, interviewed several people in our professions (medical). Looked up insurance reimbursement rates, licensure requirments, apllied for licensure in HI. Spent hours price shopping for everything from eggs to mattresses. Made connections and friends at a local church. And met with several realtors and looked at many homes in different neighborhoods.

We've looked in to what we can expect to get if we sold our house and business. We have drastically increased our savings in anticipation of the move. Lastly, we are already selling off items we know we will not be taking with us and not buying anything new.

I'm saying all these things because I believe you can have the Maui bug bad and still keep your wits about you. With enough planning and realistic expectations you can move to Maui and make a life.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:12 AM

10 posts, read 46,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
for many many people, any hardship along with the cost of living is off set by maui herself and despite it all have no regrets. life isn't easy anywhere
Couldn't agree more. For me, after every work day, I look up and around and say to myself, look where I got to work today. WOW!!!

Old 06-29-2012, 08:45 PM

90 posts, read 296,787 times
I'm guessing it's the natural beauty and the welcoming people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: