Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 06:39 PM

12 posts, read 34,728 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have been reading this forum daily. I have been wanting to move to Maui for 10 years and finnaly got the guts to do it. I resigned from my job in LA, put everything in storage, shipped my car and arrived here yesterday. I have a few leads on possible jobs (low level jobs but at least it is something). I am staying at a hotel in Lahaina for a few days while I look for possible apartments or roommate situations. I am 29, single.

I love the Labaina area / side of the island. But I have always been on vacation here, I do not know what it is like to live here. I have been to Kihei but never spent a night there. I am looking to meet new friends and have a safe apartment close to the beach. I have asked a few locals and they say Lahaina. I have asked an acquaintance on facebook and she used to live here and she says Kihei only.

Where would you look? I'm considering Lahaina also because I might have a job opportunity at one of the hotels. I heard that it is a great way to make great friends, by working at a hotel. But I want the best chance of loving it here and staying. Should I look in Kehei?

Thank you for the quick advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 07:08 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,044,376 times
With gas at $4 a gallon, you should probably consider living near work - and, when there is an accident on the road you can get stuck going from one place to another.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:29 PM

I'm not sure where work will be yet. I can always look for a temporary roommate situation. Where I negotiate for a month only while I look for work. But still which side is confusing.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:03 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,161,115 times
Don't get a long lease until you find out where you'll be working. Long commutes not only cost a lot of $$$ for gas, but they also eat up your time.

For longevity, though, finding employment and housing in a non-tourist area will be helpful towards meeting folks that live on Maui. Frequently when you are in a high tourist area all you meet are either tourists or folks who are just working there for the season.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:05 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,471,932 times
I like Lahaina more because it's sunny. South Kihei/Wailea gets cloudy every afternoon. North Kihei has crummy beaches

Old 12-10-2011, 11:33 PM

62 posts, read 207,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I like Lahaina more because it's sunny. South Kihei/Wailea gets cloudy every afternoon. North Kihei has crummy beaches

I've been here 4 days and today was the first day it was cloudy in Wailea ??? I think the north Kihei beaches are pretty cool.... like sugar beach. No one there, wide open beach, calm water for kayaking etc.

To each their own it seems. That is why it is so important to visit and explore for yourself and not rely solely on the opinions of others.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:34 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,909,209 times
We've lived in Lahaina (Ka'anapali) for ten years. Even though Lahainatown and the West Side resorts are tourist havens, we've made tons of friends. Some of our friends who work at downtown restaurants live in town or near town; others live on the other side of the island. Both Kihei and Lahaina have lots of positives, but each seems to appeal to different people.

Have you spent any time in Kihei? Might be worth a day trip to get a feel for it, and see how it compares to Lahaina.

Best of luck.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:38 AM

That's what I'm thinking. Extend my stay here at the hotel for a few days (since it is a great rate), and go spend the day or two in Kehei and see what it is like.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:46 AM

18,503 posts, read 19,144,358 times
find your self a month to month furnished vacation renta, or rent a room. give your self at least the 30 days to look around and see where your job may take you. both lahaina and kihei are great. if you work at one area and live in the other you will be commuting at least 40 mins each way day in and day out. that gets old and costly, too much spare time on the road better spent enjoying the beaches. better to live where you will be working. both places have great beaches. both sides have social outlets as far as bars and locals.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:49 AM

805 posts, read 1,513,692 times
I think the West side has more job opportunities...more visitors, more stores, more hotels, more restaurants. See if you can live and work in Lahaina since it's familiar to you. You always have a chance of moving later if you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui