Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2010, 10:28 PM

14 posts, read 41,024 times

Advertisements

There are many postings about making a permanent move to Hawaii; but I'd like some advice on living/working in Maui for the summer.

Just visited a friend who lives in Waikiki and really enjoyed it, but get the feeling that Maui would be a little more my style- relaxed, less noise pollution.

I have a degree in hospitality and plenty of experience in the field. I just want to wait tables some where and there are plenty of postings for this kind of job with Hyatt, Starwood, Marriott.

I'd like to know if I live in Lahaina and work at one of the resorts around Kaanapali... can I easily bike to work on State Hwy 30? Looks like its just 3 to 4 miles away. wondering if its a busy highway?

And for anyone who has worked in resort restaurants or other restaurants around Lahaina, were you able to make a really good cash during the summer months?

any opinions on living in lahaina? fun, clean, hip? nice cafes? can you skateboard?

What about surf...walking distance to decent breaks or do you have to drive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 02:07 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
I don't think it's practical. You'll get run over biking along the highway.

I like Lahaina, it's a cool old town. From what I've seen it's clean, probably because it's so touristy. There are a lot of little bars etc. You won't be able to skateboard without running into tourists. I think you have to drive to surf. I didn't see a single surfer until I'd been on Maui 3 weeks, and it was a long way from Lahaina.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:07 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
You'll likely get nailed by a car. That's a busy street.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:15 AM

so a car or moped is definitely necessary if i want to get to surf and work?

Old 05-08-2010, 02:16 AM

I made friends with a girl who works for a timeshare company in Lahaina. She doesn't have a car and she gets by fine. I think that's the one part of Maui that's walkable... But you can't really walk anywhere outside Lahaina. In general Maui just isn't bike friendly. People on this forum like to say that people here drive slow, aren't in a rush, etc. BS... you'll get run over by a truck with a 1 foot lift and tires sticking way out going 20 over the speed limit. You definitely need a car if you want to get around, aside from walking and bus routes.

Check the bus routes

Maui County, HI - Official Website - Maui Bus Maps

Last edited by winkosmosis; 05-08-2010 at 02:31 AM..

Old 05-08-2010, 02:31 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Better yet, a tourist in a Seabring who isn't paying attention because they're lost.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:26 AM

This doesn't sound right to me. There must plenty of cyclists in west maui and they would have to be riding on 30. I've just been reading about an organized annual ride for which the road is not closed to cars.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Guy View Post
This doesn't sound right to me. There must plenty of cyclists in west maui and they would have to be riding on 30. I've just been reading about an organized annual ride for which the road is not closed to cars.
I've seen a few people biking along the highways, but not a lot by any means. It's not Austin TX

Old 05-09-2010, 05:20 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,896,707 times
I live in Ka'anapali, and have several friends who live in (or near -- like Wahikuli) Lahainatown and commute via bicycle. As noted, the highway is busy, and cyclists are at risk as on highways (v. byways) anywhere. There are several affordable rental areas, especially if you don't mind a "share" situation.

There are also decent surf breaks at 505 Front Street, just off the Lahaina pier, and occasionally (though not so much in summer) at Ka'anapali. Several people have modified their bikes with board racks, and one could (conceivably) bike down to Launiopoko or up to Slaughterhouse. It's not hard to catch a 4-wheel ride, either.

A good friend almost always has a room in his house behind the old Lahaina Sugar Mill (off Lahainaluna). DM me if you're interested. The real problem right now is the lack of jobs (and/or dependable hours once you find one). Things are better, but still very s-l-o-w, according to our friends who own businesses. Be advised and be prepared.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: