Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2011, 01:42 PM

14 posts, read 40,465 times

Advertisements

Moved to Maui Aug. 18th 2011. Stayed in Haiku for the first two weeks to relax from moving and hang out with my brother. In Lahaina now and its looking tough to find a job waiting tables. Worked at the Westin for the last year and half thinking that it would be easy to pick up a job at one of the three starwood properties in Maui. Still waiting to be hired for on call positions. Only been in Lahaina for a few days but thinking it might be smarter to live in Kihei. The reason being its closer to Kahului which makes for better deals on food etc. I know I just need to hit the pavement and keep looking and trying to find work. Just need to make until things pick up in November. Kihei has many restaurants and hotels plus i could also commute to Kahului for a job. Any advice or job suggestions would be nice.

Thanks,

Rob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 01:08 PM

820 posts, read 3,042,169 times
There's always a cost to relocating, so it might be better to stay put until you figure out where you'll be working. Kihei is closer to Kahului, really more of a direct and faster drive. But Lahaina has a lot more jobs for waiting tables. There are a lot more restaurants that require waiters there. The restaurants in Kihei are smaller, and many of them don't have table service - just order at the counter type.

Do you have experience waiting tables? Are you getting any call backs or on the spot interviews when you visit a place? The reason I'm asking is that maybe there is something you can do to refine your approach and/or increase the chances of getting a job.

If you don't have experience waiting tables, have you tried other work? Checked the Help Wanted and Craig's List?

Old 09-05-2011, 12:12 AM

14 posts, read 40,465 times
Default Thanks very helpful

Been waiting tables for the last 6 years in fine dining, wine bar, and hotel restaurants. Think I am very good at it and enjoy it because I like interacting with people. Have had some luck but nothing for sure yet. Everyone just keeps saying they have seen like a 30% to 40% drop in business over the last couple of weeks, which is no surprise to them. Sure something will work out. The Westin situation was a big surprise. They really let me down but that's corporations for you. Found a cheap place in Kihei that seems nice but haven't seen it yet. Important thing is that I made it here and I am happy. You could be right about the approach thing. Think I just need to apply to like 30 restaurants.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:55 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,906,386 times
September is the lowest-occupancy rate for hotels on Maui, so your timing might not have been ideal. Things are slow in fall, then start to pick up around Thanksgiving. Since you have experience and a good attitude, you'll likely get an offer with some tenacity, but the first one might not be your dream job. Maybe you can piece something together until tourism picks up again.

Best of luck.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:27 AM

805 posts, read 1,513,017 times
The West side has more in terms of restaurant traffic, extending from Lahaina to Kapalua. It is also more expensive there to live, both rent and food, but there are more opportunities.

Unless of course you want to reach Kihei, Kahului, and Paia (which is such a small town) combined, but still, the west side would have more. If you end up in Kihei, you can still commute to Lahaina if you find work there. The gas you pay to commute and the higher rent in Lahaina would make it a wash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui