Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 02:27 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,907 times

Advertisements

Here are the things that have shocked me about working for the County of Maui, that I would have considered unfathomable before:

No parking space is provided until you've made your way through a 7+ year waiting list. I'd never even considered the possibility that an employer would not provide parking for an employee.

Each pay check is delayed by two weeks.

When they send you to another island for a class or a meeting or something, they don't pay for the hotel room the night before. So if you have an 8:30 am class, you either get to the airport at 5am, or pay for your own room.

Only partial per diem travel expenses are paid beforehand, the rest is up to you and you get reimbursed. Great if you have the money or the credit, not great if you've used up all your credit to make up for a salary that doesn't come close to meeting cost of living.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 10:52 AM

18,391 posts, read 19,027,378 times
I have not heard about the parking, is there limited space where you are? I have heard of firms on the main land that hold a paycheck back by two weeks and sorry but I doubt you would find any company willing to give you a paid hotel room the night before you need to attend a work function, nor care that you haven't the funds or credit to front expenses. I understand how frustrating it is waiting for your money or not having much to spread around but most employers anywhere could care less

Old 02-04-2011, 10:59 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,514,479 times
In most places, the pay checks are delayed - how would payroll know in advance, if you will call in sick, or quit?

It is fairly normal to not pay for a room the night before when the commute to the meeting is so short. If you are salary, a few extra hours here and there are pretty much expected. I used to board a 30 minute, 6:00am flight to Chicago, take the Blue Line train to the Loop area, walk 4 blocks, and still make a 9am meeting every 2 weeks. I then reversed the process at 3pm and took a 6pm flight back home, arriving at my house around 8pm. The flight was much cheaper than a downtown hotel room and rental car.

As to per diem expenses - why would they ever pay you any of it, in advance? The rest of the world pays with a corporate or private credit card, then fills out an expense sheet when they get back. They then get their money a week or two later.

Just remember though, as a government employee, you are feeding off the rest of us. We want the government to be more careful with our money.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
In most places, the pay checks are delayed - how would payroll know in advance, if you will call in sick, or quit?
I didn't say it should be the same day. At the last job I had it was a 5 day delay, less if the 5th day fell on a weekend. There is no reason for a 2 week delay.

Quote:
It is fairly normal to not pay for a room the night before when the commute to the meeting is so short. If you are salary, a few extra hours here and there are pretty much expected. I used to board a 30 minute, 6:00am flight to Chicago, take the Blue Line train to the Loop area, walk 4 blocks, and still make a 9am meeting every 2 weeks. I then reversed the process at 3pm and took a 6pm flight back home, arriving at my house around 8pm. The flight was much cheaper than a downtown hotel room and rental car.
Well this is not exactly a short commute. I'll be on Oahu for 3 days. They only pay for 2 nights of hotel. I have to get to the airport 1.5 hours early, fly, rent a car, and drive to the class by 8:30am, then spend a full day in class. If it were up to me I would just not take the class.

Quote:
As to per diem expenses - why would they ever pay you any of it, in advance? The rest of the world pays with a corporate or private credit card, then fills out an expense sheet when they get back. They then get their money a week or two later.
There is a county credit card but I don't get to use it. The mayor's office uses it to pay for certain things in advance like the rental car and the flight, then the rest is up to me. Unfortunately I have to get by here by taking money from my IRA and borrowing from my parents, so I don't have any credit to spare, much less enough to pay for a hotel.

Quote:
Just remember though, as a government employee, you are feeding off the rest of us. We want the government to be more careful with our money.
I would love for the government to be careful with your money, but they're not. The County is penny wise, pound foolish. It pisses me off how much waste I've seen. Next time you're here, drive by the county parking lot and check out the nice late model vehicles. Most of them just sit there unused.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:57 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
No parking space is provided until you've made your way through a 7+ year waiting list. I'd never even considered the possibility that an employer would not provide parking for an employee.
It's actually much more common than you think, especially in large cities, and the practice is on the increase all over the country. Partly it's a deliberate attempt to encourage carpooling and the use of public transportation, and partly it's a result of budget shortfalls over a number of years.

Quote:
Each pay check is delayed by two weeks.
Again, this is not unusual. For teachers, and some other professions, a month is quite normal. I teach on a part-time, contract basis and get a monthly check.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:09 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,514,479 times
Look at it this way - after you quit your job, you will still have one more paycheck coming as a going away present.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Look at it this way - after you quit your job, you will still have one more paycheck coming as a going away present.
I've overdawn my bank account several times and had to rush to get my parents to lend me money to avoid more overdrafts. Wouldn't have happened if I got the paychecks a week earlier.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:06 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,602,261 times
Parking: Jobs I have had where there was limited or paid parking, you were on your own. Not uncommon.

Paychecks: With state and county jobs, this isn't uncommon either. I have experienced same.

When I travel, I often have to get up at the crack of early to fly to my destination. Just about anyone who travels experiences the same.

I don't see much difference between what you describe and situations around the country.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:24 PM

We have to use street parking, out in the neighborhoods. Residents don't like it (can't blame them) so some of them put out orange cones to block you from parking.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:22 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,411,110 times
Lightbulb Wow...

Quote:
We have to use street parking, out in the neighborhoods. Residents don't like it (can't blame them) so some of them put out orange cones to block you from parking.
Geez, Winks...looking back over all your past threads seems all you've really done since you've landed is either complain about or insult the Island, whats up w/that? Suppose you could always move home if you really dislike your living conditions, rental situations and now...your employment. You need to chill and take it as it is..
Aloha, Koale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui