Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 04:02 PM

16 posts, read 26,638 times

Advertisements

Aloha, I've been offered a job in Maui and would be a state employee. Since I will be moving from the east coast, this will be the biggest decision in my life to have an opportunity to work and live in one of the most beautiful place on earth. But, I've been reading alot about the state of affairs in Hawaii and it's retirement benefits and what I am reading is scaring me quite alot. Last summer's a 5% pay cut was imposed on all state employees across the board and now all new hires after July will be required to pay more into a retirement system that is in the red by billions of $'s and projected to only get worse. Any one else on this forum work for the state or can comment on this to help me decide. Really appreciate any advise. Mahalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 07:47 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,459,414 times
Maui County or the state? The furlough/pay cut is over for the county.

What is the salary? Your pay doesn't go as far working for the state or county because of pension contributions, union dues, and health insurance (you pay 50% or 40% vs almost 0% in the private sector).

Old 02-27-2012, 06:08 PM

820 posts, read 3,039,785 times
I think with any situation like this, you can't compare to what other people think, even if they work in the same place. There are too many different factors in what each person needs, as far as take home salary, benefits, etc. You might be a 45 year old single man (just making that up), but your needs will be very different from a 27 year old married woman with 3 kids.

It might be best if you compared this opportunity to your other opportunities. For example:

Do you have a job now, and how does it compare?
Do you have other job offers, and are they where you want to live, and/or doing what you want to do for a living?
How far are you from retirement, and how much are you counting on retirement benefits? Every employer is facing possibly cutting benefits, it isn't just the government sector. Plenty of our corporate clients had huge layoffs over the last 3 years. A 5% pay cut would sound pretty good to someone who has been laid off, but might sound terrible to someone who still has their job and didn't get any cuts.

Unfortunately, no one here can tell you if this offer is right for you, nor can they tell you the future of Maui County employees. Some might be able to answer more specific questions.

And as Winkosmosis noted, state employees are different than Maui County.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:18 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,819,987 times
Full time, permanent, state employee? Those jobs are getter fewer and fewer, as the trend is towards temporary hires (some under annual review of the budget), or jobs that used to be employees now being filled by "independent contractors".

Old 02-28-2012, 03:53 PM

Thanks for your comments and sorry it took me a while to come back. My move will most likely be lateral even though I will have a salary increase but this will be offset by the higher medical prem's/HI state taxes/cost of living and required pension contributions. I guess the decision comes down to whether we are willing to sacrifice alittle, hopefully not alot to live in one of the most beautiful place on earth.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:47 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,459,414 times
What is the pay? And who is this, the county or state?

Last edited by winkosmosis; 02-28-2012 at 06:24 PM..

Old 02-29-2012, 03:32 PM

48 posts, read 354,800 times
Whenever someone says they're going to Maui because it's the "most beautiful place on Earth" it's clear they haven't done their homework on the financials or living conditions. Coming from the east coast, you will be in shell shock over the living conditions vs. rental price. Only the highest level executive positions in the state are paid fairly well, the rest basically live "make-do" wages to which they will live with other members of the household who can similarly earn a living. Else, you're likely going to be renting some dinky 30 year old 1 br ohana unit for what you normally would pay for an entire house on the east coast. Maui is the most expensive place to live in the state (aside perhaps from Lanai or such) with hideously priced basic goods. Good luck.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartpa View Post
Thanks for your comments and sorry it took me a while to come back. My move will most likely be lateral even though I will have a salary increase but this will be offset by the higher medical prem's/HI state taxes/cost of living and required pension contributions. I guess the decision comes down to whether we are willing to sacrifice alittle, hopefully not alot to live in one of the most beautiful place on earth.
If you give more details, you'll be able to extract more detailed answers. I'm not trying to be kill-joy, but moving somewhere based upon it being "beautiful" sounds like it could turn out to be a financial mess.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:55 PM

Alright, I know alittle about HI as I lived Oahu for 3 years in early 2000's and on alot less salary then. Oahu was great but the traffic drove me nuts- biggest mistake was moving back to mainland. Maui definitely different from Oahu, much more laid back and for sure less traffic & more better for windsurfing-my passion. We have been looking forward to an opportunity like this so I am very lucky to be offered this job. My compensation is good and I will be paid over 100K. I own a house in the mainland which I will be renting out. I have a good amount of savings and no car loans or credit card debts. I was concerned about the HI retirement system but the more I understand it- seems like a pretty good deal- 5 years and you are vested to receive its benefits at age 62- only hope HI State has the retirement funds when I retire. Some things will be more but as I looked back when I lived in Oahu, I think it was cheaper c/w mainland- no heating bills/rarely used our AC in Mililani Mauka/no winter clothes/Prop taxes much lower/we love dakine local grinds & we don't drink milk/no kids/windsurfing mostly free. Well what do you think- We gonna make it in Maui

Old 03-02-2012, 02:10 AM

With a salary of $100K+, and savings to back you up, you will be able to afford a decent place to rent (perhaps a condo in the beginning). Take your time in finding out if you want to buy, and learning about locations, etc. You have the two main things to be fine: a decent salary + savings (for a down payment later). Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui