Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 11:51 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,451,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
Personal Budgeting Tips

There was a thread a little while back about holding the checks two weeks. It's the reality of the situation and people need to budget accordingly.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...ui-county.html

Parking; unless you're employee of the month, management, handicapped etc... it's not going to happen in the real world.

Also; maybe a talk with someone about short term, long term goals in your life. It doesn't hurt to talk to a professional counselor/therapist and it's usually covered by health insurance.
Budgeting doesn't get you money you don't have... It's not like I waste money on anything. Everything goes to rent, bills, and food.

I don't have a problem with short term and long term goals. But I don't really want to work for local government anymore. In the private sector and the federal government, you at least get promotions. I'm stuck with low salaries unless someone retires/dies and I apply for their job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 01:40 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,522,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Budgeting doesn't get you money you don't have... It's not like I waste money on anything. Everything goes to rent, bills, and food.

I don't have a problem with short term and long term goals. But I don't really want to work for local government anymore. In the private sector and the federal government, you at least get promotions. I'm stuck with low salaries unless someone retires/dies and I apply for their job.
You have been there how long? And you already want a promotion?
You knew the salary going in and you are also in the nice Hawaii pension plan.
Wait until you get into the real world, where the pension plan is your money!

Old 02-15-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
You have been there how long? And you already want a promotion?
You knew the salary going in and you are also in the nice Hawaii pension plan.
Wait until you get into the real world, where the pension plan is your money!
Uhh... where did I say I want a promotion now?

I'm saying I can't EVER get a promotion. The position is non-promotable. I can only apply for someone else's job if they quit or die. Teachers and federal employees move up based on experience, private sector workers get rewarded based on the quality of their work.

The pension plan IS my money. I'd rather not pay into it, because I'd rather use the money to pay my bills.

I didn't really know what the salary would turn out to be. Like I said, I'm an idiot and I completely overlooked state income tax, having never lived in a high tax state. I didn't know there would be furloughs. It never occurred to me that a pension would be forced either, much less union dues. I still think it's mind boggling that $37k could turn into $24k take home.

It makes sense why people are fleeing "blue states" in droves.

Last edited by winkosmosis; 02-15-2011 at 03:06 PM..

Old 02-15-2011, 05:52 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,765,036 times
Never heard of pensions, never heard of union dues. Have you ever worked before??
Moving to Hawaii and getting a County job as quickly as you did is unbelievable good fortune. Hope you can work things out. If you decide you don't want your job there will be plenty of applicants to replace you.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Never heard of pensions, never heard of union dues. Have you ever worked before??
Moving to Hawaii and getting a County job as quickly as you did is unbelievable good fortune. Hope you can work things out. If you decide you don't want your job there will be plenty of applicants to replace you.
I didn't say I never heard of pensions... I said I didn't consider the possibility that it would be required to pay into a pension. I didn't realize there was a union for Hawaii government employees either. You know how people talk about culture shock about stuff like egg on hamburgers and taking off their shoes? I'm from a part of the country where unions aren't the norm.

In any case, I can't make it work out so I have to leave. If I made $300 more a month, I'd be fine. I do qualify for the analyst level jobs because I have a degree and the experience (I'm a technician now) but someone has to quit or die for me to apply.

Unfortunately I don't think they'll be able to hire a replacement since there's a hiring freeze.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:38 PM

497 posts, read 1,486,839 times
You had better stick to your goobermint job. With your attitude and sense of entitlement you would be fired within a week at many private companies.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiobtm View Post
You had better stick to your goobermint job. With your attitude and sense of entitlement you would be fired within a week at many private companies.

I worked for 3 years in the private sector. I volunteered for unpaid leave to save others' jobs when we had a slowdown in 2009. And because I did good work I was rewarded with at raises of $3000-7000 each year. I turned down a big promotion too, when it was looking like I was going to get this job (I wasn't sure yet but didn't want to screw my employer), because I was stupid and thought $37000 was fine for Maui and because I wanted to get into public service.

You live and learn!!

Last edited by winkosmosis; 02-15-2011 at 11:05 PM..

Old 02-17-2011, 01:30 AM

351 posts, read 587,929 times
I feel some of you posters are being too critical of winkosmosis. He's only 26 yrs. old and still has a lot more to experience and accomplish in life.

Like he said, live and learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui