Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2023, 10:05 AM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I've noticed a trend that once the wealthy start to move into these 'not as good' towns, lol..they become good and that doesn't really go away. I mean look at needham and natick...those were not considered high end towns until fairly recently. Dedham has ranches selling for 1M. A lot of towns have changed and are continuing to change.
^ This. A lot of formerly not so desirable towns have become desirable due to wealthy people moving in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2023, 10:10 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
^ This. A lot of formerly not so desirable towns have become desirable due to wealthy people moving in.

They can become less desirable again, if enough of the upper class decides to "move on up". Heck, wasn't Randolph once one of the wealthier towns in the area? The West Side of Brockton was once considered a symbol of prosperity, until the upper-middle-class started moving out to Easton and places. Warwick, RI, same thing. Once the better off people started moving down to South County, that's when it started becoming a bit "run down" in many areas.

Old 09-22-2023, 10:31 AM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
They can become less desirable again, if enough of the upper class decides to "move on up". Heck, wasn't Randolph once one of the wealthier towns in the area? The West Side of Brockton was once considered a symbol of prosperity, until the upper-middle-class started moving out to Easton and places. Warwick, RI, same thing. Once the better off people started moving down to South County, that's when it started becoming a bit "run down" in many areas.
I don't disagree, but many of the formerly not so desirable towns in the Boston area have seen tons of renovations, tear downs / rebuilds. They've actually become much nicer towns.

(I don't recall Warwick ever being upper middle class.)

Old 09-22-2023, 10:57 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I just wonder for what reason these wealthy people decide to move? For warmer weather? seems like a lot of folks complain about the heat these days too...we've listed politics but very wealthy folks tend to be less affected by political decisions. A lot of wealthy people seem to simply like the Boston area. They are not bothered by the prices because they dont really have to worry about them. I think they feel good about having the good hospitals nearby even if they dont use them, they feel good about the good education, the beach is here, mountains are here, the city can be pretty nice, rich history, museums, shopping, restaurants, fun sporting events to watch.

The wealthy folks have access to the good life in Boston, you basically have to have money to enjoy Boston these days...the one thing they can't really escape is the weather and traffic.

Old 09-22-2023, 11:56 AM

3,620 posts, read 1,840,863 times
Quote:
I just wonder for what reason these wealthy people decide to move? For warmer weather? seems like a lot of folks complain about the heat these days too...we've listed politics but very wealthy folks tend to be less affected by political decisions. A lot of wealthy people seem to simply like the Boston area. They are not bothered by the prices because they dont really have to worry about them. I think they feel good about having the good hospitals nearby even if they dont use them, they feel good about the good education, the beach is here, mountains are here, the city can be pretty nice, rich history, museums, shopping, restaurants, fun sporting events to watch.

The wealthy folks have access to the good life in Boston, you basically have to have money to enjoy Boston these days...the one thing they can't really escape is the weather and traffic.
They can escape the traffic....they don't have 9-5 jobs that they have to commute to.

Old 09-22-2023, 12:03 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
They can escape the traffic....they don't have 9-5 jobs that they have to commute to.
I dont think that's always true...some of them have to show up in the office...however if they choose not to chances are they wont get in trouble.

Old 09-22-2023, 12:08 PM

https://www.boston.com/community/tel...5V61PzQcnWRGhI

Old 09-22-2023, 01:25 PM

3,620 posts, read 1,840,863 times
Quote:
I dont think that's always true...some of them have to show up in the office...however if they choose not to chances are they wont get in trouble.
If one is truly wealthy they don't need to depend on corporate America to help pay any of their bills. If they are truly wealthy and have to be in an office, you can rest assured it's by their own choosing. Whether it's a CEO on a power trip that needs to do the next best thing for the company or maybe it's someone who has so much money they'd be bored crazy if they didn't work, the possibilities are endless really.

Old 09-22-2023, 01:29 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabfan84 View Post
Actually the opposite. Salaries rose the most on the low end. Flat on the high end.
Upper end of worker bees, sure. CEOs, nope.

Old 09-22-2023, 07:48 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iced_Coffee View Post
Purely anecdotal, but it seems that some inventory IS sitting a bit longer...maybe? Could be that they're all steeply priced, but for example I've been following listings in Acton and a number of them have made it through at least one weekend without going under agreement.

https://www.redfin.com/MA/Acton/21-O.../home/11355292 (this one I like the most, by FAR)
One of my colleagues owns the house next door: 23 Oneida. They paid $750K 2 years ago.

This house is far more updated than theirs and has 1 additional bathroom, I think $850K is a very fair price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts