Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2023, 11:43 AM

2,353 posts, read 1,783,142 times

Advertisements

Well, since this is the Real Estate thread... how long do you think you could survive being able to pay the mortgage, etc... with no job and no unemployment because you quit because of RTO? I'm guessing most people in this state with crazy high mortgages can't last long.

Unemployment, esp white collar is still very low. It won't take much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2023, 12:13 PM

3,626 posts, read 1,851,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Well, since this is the Real Estate thread... how long do you think you could survive being able to pay the mortgage, etc... with no job and no unemployment because you quit because of RTO? I'm guessing most people in this state with crazy high mortgages can't last long.

Unemployment, esp white collar is still very low. It won't take much.
Well, I personally could survive a few years with no job and no unemployment paying my mortgage, utilities, food etc. b/c my overhead is low and I have a nice emergency fund. When I purchased my home I bought below my means so that I have some cushion if anything were to go awry w/employment. However, I agree with your statement that most folks probably won't be able to last very long at all given all the $600K+ and jumbo mortgages out there right now. I mean I'd like to believe many people have an emergency fund, but exactly how big is that emergency fund?

Old 09-19-2023, 12:28 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Well, I personally could survive a few years with no job and no unemployment paying my mortgage, utilities, food etc. b/c my overhead is low and I have a nice emergency fund. When I purchased my home I bought below my means so that I have some cushion if anything were to go awry w/employment. However, I agree with your statement that most folks probably won't be able to last very long at all given all the $600K+ and jumbo mortgages out there right now. I mean I'd like to believe many people have an emergency fund, but exactly how big is that emergency fund?
And it all comes back around to the cost of living. If you are trying to get into the market over the past 2 years, $600K is a pretty average mortgage for a relatively small home if you need to commute into Boston, particularly if you need a commute that works around childcare hours.

It's not much better with rent when you're stuck paying $3000+ or more and locked into leases for 2 or 3 bedrooms.

That's the whole reason so many people took advantage of remote work to move further out. Companies aren't increasing salaries enough to keep up with rent anywhere close enough to commute 4 or 5 days a week.

Old 09-19-2023, 01:44 PM

365 posts, read 142,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
And it all comes back around to the cost of living. If you are trying to get into the market over the past 2 years, $600K is a pretty average mortgage for a relatively small home if you need to commute into Boston, particularly if you need a commute that works around childcare hours.
For real - I bought a pretty middle-of-the-road house in spring of 2021 with a $590k mortgage. The house is on the smaller side, but it's very commutable to Boston. Even at 2.8xx%, the monthly mortgage payment is ~$2,450 before taxes and insurance ($3,500 with everything factored in). A house in the mid-700s now is not considered terribly high, even in further out towns that have historically been much more affordable (think Maynard, Hudson, Norfolk, etc). With current interest rates, the monthly costs are STEEP even when putting 20% down.

For reference, my local bank has a 6.625% conforming 30 year mortgage advertised on their site. At that rate, a theoretical house purchase at $725k with 20% down is $3,810 for just principal and interest. Taxes and insurance can easily be another $1,000 on top of that.

I initially thought I should have been a bit more prudent budget-wise when I bought 2 years ago, but now know this is probably the best I'll ever do from a monthly cost perspective. I feel for current buyers in similar shoes.

Old 09-19-2023, 01:50 PM

16,412 posts, read 8,215,049 times
The COL has changed a lot in the Boston area in just a few years.

But remember, anytime someone complains about COL and house costs in the area Matrix shows up to remind us of all those buyers able to pay with cash.

Old 09-19-2023, 02:06 PM

3,626 posts, read 1,851,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

It's not much better with rent when you're stuck paying $3000+ or more and locked into leases for 2 or 3 bedrooms.

That's the whole reason so many people took advantage of remote work to move further out. Companies aren't increasing salaries enough to keep up with rent anywhere close enough to commute 4 or 5 days a week.
Yes, well I'd be in the same boat if I were buying something now too. Someday I'll probably make a move but not right now. Luckily my mortgage is in the $200K range so cost of living for me is crazy low right now, even compared to renting.

Old 09-19-2023, 06:15 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,432,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Most RTO we've seen so far is really fully remote going to hybrid. Very little seems to be going back to the pre-pandemic standard of 5 days in the office.

Other than jobs in manufacturing, healthcare or hospitality, I don't know anyone in the Boston area who was in the office 5 days per week, even before March 2020. Work from home Fridays has been pretty common around here for a long time. I've worked from home at least 2 days per week starting in 2006.

Old 09-19-2023, 06:23 PM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Other than jobs in manufacturing, healthcare or hospitality, I don't know anyone in the Boston area who was in the office 5 days per week, even before March 2020. Work from home Fridays has been pretty common around here for a long time. I've worked from home at least 2 days per week starting in 2006.

Then you live in a bubble.

Old 09-19-2023, 07:23 PM

16,412 posts, read 8,215,049 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
He's not wrong. A lot of work places did allow people to wfh 1 or 2 days a week prior to covid. I had this as well.

Old 09-19-2023, 07:30 PM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
He's not wrong. A lot of work places did allow people to wfh 1 or 2 days a week prior to covid. I had this as well.

Not saying they didn't, but it doesn't apply to the majority of folk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts