Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2020, 02:32 PM

12,866 posts, read 22,026,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Buddy of mine has a family home waaaay up in NH on the Canadian border. Same deal really. Isolated, no neighbors, can do what you want. They went up for the weekend just to get out of town and "destress" a bit. Told me on the way up, when he was riding through town one of the first cars he passed yelled out "Go home M*******!"

I do have a place in mind in Maine where I could bug out to. I don't think it will ever come to that, but I do have a plan. SOunds like crackpot prepper type stuff I know...but here we are.

The people I really feel for right now are those living in high-density urban areas that rely on public transportation. If they have young kids and/or single parent, that's gonna be even rougher.
My brothers GF is originally from NY (upstate), but now lives and works in RI (in healthcare, no less). She’s been there for 2 years, but she’s 23 and her parents still technically own her car and it has NY Plates. She’s had things thrown at her car this packet week and cake out to the doors keyed yesterday. People are ridiculous.

My family has a vacation home in Western Maine. It’s on the table if we want to go, we aren’t going to. We are going to ride it out here. I don’t want to be part of the problem, and I’m not convinced the rural areas are the place to be. I don’t think they’ll be spared - it just might take longer for it to happen there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2020, 03:47 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Maybe we are flattening the curve in Massachusetts. 700 new cases today and only 4 new deaths. All 4 over 70.

Unless the USA in total is going to be submitting more numbers later today we seem to be less today than yesterday and less deaths.

Old 03-29-2020, 03:58 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
Well that’s good. Mayor Walsh’s recent talk didn’t seem too promising where he was saying we haven’t even seen the surge yet.

Old 03-29-2020, 05:28 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
The deaths are a lagging factor. Tragically, the first person I know to die of COVID-19 passed away last night. He was an acquaintance at work. He was diagnosed about 3 weeks ago. The last week, he went downhill and was hospitalized.

I hold onto hope that a greater portion of our population took this seriously than in other places, and thus we will see a flattening sooner. We're not seeing the ramp up yet.

Old 03-29-2020, 05:33 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
How old was the person you knew that died? Did he have other issues ?

Old 03-29-2020, 05:42 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
How old was the person you knew that died? Did he have other issues ?

He was older - late 60sish. I wouldn't presume to know about other health issues.

Old 03-29-2020, 05:46 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Deaths will lag. That’s to be expected. Seems 7-9 days after symptoms appear is the critical period. So the next two weeks will be really bad.

Rate of new cases does seem to be slowing in some areas, especially Washington. Way too early to tell though, but keep an eye on it. A little hope I gues.

We might knock the cases down a bit to the point some restrictions ease, but until a vaccine generates enough immunity, I believe we are in for a few waves over the next 12-18 mos just like every other pandemic before.

Old 03-29-2020, 06:07 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Deaths will lag. That’s to be expected. Seems 7-9 days after symptoms appear is the critical period. So the next two weeks will be really bad.

Rate of new cases does seem to be slowing in some areas, especially Washington. Way too early to tell though, but keep an eye on it. A little hope I gues.

We might knock the cases down a bit to the point some restrictions ease, but until a vaccine generates enough immunity, I believe we are in for a few waves over the next 12-18 mos just like every other pandemic before.
Anyone expecting less is, in my opinion, delusional or woefully optimistic. Despite reports of the visus easing in China and Italy, my contacts through colleagues and friends living in these regions state otherwise. The virus is deeply entrenched and deaths continue to pile up.

It's very bad. Meanwhile in the U.S. (MA) I saw a concerning number of elderly out and about today - Dunkin's, Market Basket, local liquor store, etc. Many working the counters. Fortunately my own family, despite questionable news sources, is now taking the threat seriously and have the financial means to not be 'forced' into exposure through their employer.

Old 03-29-2020, 06:18 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
Yes but I feel like the lagging is in reporting. It seems like the weekends tend to be slower than during the end of the week. But today was either the same or slightly less than yesterday in the USA in cases and deaths.

Quote:
I saw a concerning number of elderly out and about today - Dunkin's, Market Basket, local liquor store, etc.
It is one reason I can't support this social distancing much longer than 30 days. Every time I go out I seem to be surrounded by people with white hair. I dare say the younger people are doing this more seriously than those over 60. It is shocking but true.

Even my boss who is 60+ wanted to come into work this week when we don't have to. I had to talk him down.

Old 03-29-2020, 06:29 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
It is one reason I can't support this social distancing much longer than 30 days. Every time I go out I seem to be surrounded by people with white hair. I dare say the younger people are doing this more seriously than those over 60. It is shocking but true.

Even my boss who is 60+ wanted to come into work this week when we don't have to. I had to talk him down.
The problem with this is it socially and financially pressures those who are taking the self isolation serious back into the work force.

The handful of immune compromised individuals (e.g., cancer patients, health disorders) in my social sphere are already receiving a fair amount of pressure from their employers and the state is currently on lock down. If the state issue an "all clear" they'd be looking at unemployment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts