Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2020, 06:30 AM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Anyone know if there's anything different about this year's flu vaccine? I got my shot yesterday, and uncharacteristically for me, had a reaction to it! Hope it ends up helping this season.
Hopefully your reaction will quickly subside. Vaccines are intended to provoke the immune system, and some patients get a response they can feel, like a fever. 99/100 though, these symptoms subside quickly.

I don't know too much, but I was reading some recently and I do know that there isn't just one flu vaccine, there are some half a dozen or so. Most of them this year are "tetravalent", meaning they will protect you against 4 different strains of influenza.

I'm also planning to get a flu shot this year. I normally do, but with the concerns of a "twindemic", will be more thoughtful about it. I read that Sept/Oct is the best timeframe to get it, so will probably get it at the end of September.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2020, 06:35 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Did you get the "Maine Stare". When I went up from Augusta up I find people just stare at you. Former governor LePage was the Trump before Trump. Oddly he's a bartender now.
Can't say that I recall getting any stare. Nobody paid any attention to us in our travels.

Old 09-11-2020, 07:36 AM

12,865 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Can't say that I recall getting any stare. Nobody paid any attention to us in our travels.
My father is semi-retired in Western Maine. We were up the weekend before Labor Day and once before that in June. Our experiences were like yours. Nobody paid any attention and there were plenty of MA plates. There were a few stories in the news back in March/April of locals cutting down trees to block cars with MA plates in driveways. My father's neighbor also bragged about telling a guy with VA plates to "go home!" in the parking lot of the local grocery store. But it doesn't appear that that's the case anymore.

Old 09-11-2020, 08:31 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
My father is semi-retired in Western Maine. We were up the weekend before Labor Day and once before that in June. Our experiences were like yours. Nobody paid any attention and there were plenty of MA plates. There were a few stories in the news back in March/April of locals cutting down trees to block cars with MA plates in driveways. My father's neighbor also bragged about telling a guy with VA plates to "go home!" in the parking lot of the local grocery store. But it doesn't appear that that's the case anymore.
I'm sure that does exist, just certainly not in the area we were in. Of course, I should also mention I had been going to this particular place for 20 years and know most of the immediate neighbors of the property we were staying out. Not a whole lot of MA plates in this area, but we didn't have any issues. We also didn't really venture out and about. Once we arrived at the house we were staying at, other than kayaking on the lake, we didn't leave or socialize. Brought in all our food and supplies. We would have done this regardless of the pandemic.

I have to go back in Oct to winterize the place. Might time it with the foliage to enjoy one more night up there this year.

Old 09-11-2020, 08:37 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I'm sure that does exist
If it does exist, it's not something I've encountered in the nearly 5 years living here.

Old 09-11-2020, 09:04 AM

9,093 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
If it does exist, it's not something I've encountered in the nearly 5 years living here.
If you moved to Maine with the intention of accepting Maine culture as it is, then you will never encounter that attitude.

Old 09-11-2020, 09:56 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Any thoughts on the BC cluster? This week testing is 3.7%positive. They are only randomly testing 10 % of the Student body.

If they did contact tracing then they knew about this awhile ago. If they didn't know then we could be looking at hundreds of cases since they only test 10%. I think we might see them shut down.

We can't pretend to be safe without testing more. Heck Dedham numbers are way up. I thought affluent communities would know what they are doing...

Old 09-11-2020, 11:30 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
The Covid strategy at BC is a joke compared to other universities like BU, so the cluster is not surprising. Without constant testing and contact tracing, the virus will spread in communities of young adults who are mobile socially active.

Old 09-11-2020, 11:45 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
Should sports just be shut down then ?

Old 09-11-2020, 12:07 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
We can't pretend to be safe without testing more. Heck Dedham numbers are way up. I thought affluent communities would know what they are doing...
Dedham is saying that they think there were two clusters related to High School parties.

Still don't understand where the spreader caught it in the first place, but there you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts