Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2021, 01:58 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times

Advertisements

Hope WFH remains as long as possible. The traffic impacts for us skilled trades/contractors/truck driver live on the road types etc have been huge. Over the past few years being on the road by even 6am was starting to not be enough on many days.

I was living on the cape this summer between houses and commuting to the 2/495 area to get to my platform. I could see doing that again all summer if things stay the way they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2021, 02:51 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
One unintended consequence of WFH however, increased wear and tear on the house. I realize this wil be different for everyone, but I have noticed in the last year I’ve had to put some more time/money into minor home repairs just due to increased usage from us being at home more. Very rarely in the past year has the house been empty.

Old 02-05-2021, 03:06 PM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
One unintended consequence of WFH however, increased wear and tear on the house. I realize this wil be different for everyone, but I have noticed in the last year I’ve had to put some more time/money into minor home repairs just due to increased usage from us being at home more. Very rarely in the past year has the house been empty.
I have noticed the same. Also, we have home projects that we tackle every year. This year there were several interior projects on the list, but I have put them on hold because we are all home and I can't have the additional noise and commotion in the house while trying to work or kids are in classes. So the additional wear and tear in combination with putting projects on hold has been a challenge.

I am really, really loving the lack of traffic. It has honestly made a huge difference in my life. Even though traffic has increased over time, it's still a fraction of pre-covid levels. Weeknight classes and activities that were not an option before due to their location, but now I can attend and it's been so nice for me. I hope it stays like this at least a little longer...

And even though I feel guilty that I can't spend time with my kids like I'd like to during the day because work is crazy, just hearing them play a game with our babysitter or a quick hello while they pass through my office is nice. I'm going to be sad when I see them less.

Old 02-05-2021, 03:32 PM

16,396 posts, read 8,198,277 times
I basically asked my boss when he thought we'd be back and he said he doesn't know. He said he misses certain in person things and would lean towards being into he office a few days a week. Ultimately it's not his decision since he doesn't own the space. He seems worried about the new variants. I don't want to go back to the office so I hope people like him keep being afraid. It will keep us home longer.

Old 02-05-2021, 04:26 PM

16,396 posts, read 8,198,277 times
I also feel like people in the higher up leadership positions kind of have to say the miss some in person stuff. How would it look if they did not want to be back in the office at all even if they do prefer wfh.

Old 02-05-2021, 08:00 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
I was going to write something similar to this earlier today, but didn't have time because work has been crazy and I can barely find time to pee.

I'm bulleting my thoughts because I don't have the mental energy to form sentences:
- I work in the 'burbs for a company that used to be 9 - 5 and valued having everybody in the office. I tried to negotiate WFH 1 day/week when I was hired, but it was a no go. The office is so close to home I decided it was not a big deal at all.
- Since March of 2020, we've all been home. The hours have gone from 9 - 5 to 8 - 6 (sometimes later) and since we all use Teams, there are often conversation bleeding into the late evening hours. There is no downtime. Ever.
- I'm hating this culture shift.
I left my life at an ad agency so I could work at a company that valued work/life balance. I'm starting to feel it will never be the same.
- I completely understand the appeal of WFH. In theory, I LOVE the idea of flexibility. Being able to throw a load of laundry in during lunch, being here when my kids get off the bus.

IN REALITY, I have no time to do anything during the day. I'm Teamsing while trying to make dinner. Daily housework isn't even started until after 10pm most nights.
I can really relate with this. My only consolation is that I'm an empty nester, or else this crappy schedule would have interfered with serious quality time with the kids. Another poster referred to this as a toxic culture, and it often feels that way. I sometimes wish that my company would just agree to chill for a year, not continue to chase profits and monthly reporting as if we didn't have a raging pandemic going on. But instead, it's like the higher ups are tripping over each other to show that they can keep the business going, despite everything being so much harder than before.

Old 02-06-2021, 08:38 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Had my second dentist appointment yesterday since the pandemic started. They were doing the double mask thing. Also they wanted me to do a cavity filling and I insisted on pushing it out into Summer hoping that things will be a lot calmer then.

Old 02-06-2021, 09:24 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I have a crown ive been pushing off for the last year. It’s not bothering me so I’d just rather wait a bit longer until the summer. I’ve been in for a cleaning though.

I’ve got another procedure I keep pushing off as well. As much as I’d like to blame pushing it off on the pandemic, it’s more of my hesitation, as opposed to my wife’s insistence.

Old 02-06-2021, 04:54 PM

Under 1500 hospitalized now.

Old 02-06-2021, 05:21 PM

Ooh here's some bad news. AZ/Oxford vaccine is not that effective against catching the South African variant but may still be good enough to eliminate hospitalization. Says they are going to work on a booster but won't be available until Fall.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN2A60SH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts