Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2020, 12:20 AM

162 posts, read 101,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steephill2 View Post
I’m thinking timeline might be something like this- Open for 1.5 months, then complete lockdown for 1.5 months so hospitals aren’t overwhelmed again, then rinse and repeat until vaccine comes out or next fall when everyone probably already got it from one of the earlier cycles. whichever comes earlier. there’s just too much pressure to open up. It’s like people have to see the numbers go up again and proof before they commit to another shutdown. I also think this will be done state by state, so some states may be in shut down mode while others aren’t over the course of next 18 months.

If it mutates then start 18 month cycle over again.

If you disagree with me I’d like to know what you think will really happen.
The thing about Russian Roulette or musical chairs is, eventually, someone loses. As long as it's you not me, open it up any way you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2020, 01:12 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,369,579 times
From today's Boston Globe (a nursing home a mile from my former home in Middlesex County)

https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...nashoba-valley

Old 04-12-2020, 06:49 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,097,911 times
Quote:
I’m thinking timeline might be something like this- Open for 1.5 months, then complete lockdown for 1.5 months so hospitals aren’t overwhelmed again, then rinse and repeat until vaccine comes out or next fall when everyone probably already got it from one of the earlier cycles. whichever comes earlier. there’s just too much pressure to open up. It’s like people have to see the numbers go up again and proof before commit to another shutdown. I also think this will be done state by state, so some states may be in shut down mode while others aren’t over the course of next 18 months.

If it mutates then start 18 month cycle over again.

If you disagree with me I’d like to know what you think will really happen.
We can’t keep just shutting down places of business because of a virus. We are literally crippling the nation doing what we are doing right now. Record unemployment numbers with most of those jobs not coming back. We haven’t seen the worst of the collapse yet either. That will come later down the line when the millions with no jobs stop spending because they are broke.

So where do we draw the line? Maybe 500,000 dead from a virus or the total economic collapse of our country with 3-5 million unemployed and poverty rates through the roof. With all the crime , drug use , disease and all that comes with it. I don’t know the answer but what we are doing isn’t working.

Old 04-12-2020, 06:52 AM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
So where do we draw the line? Maybe 500,000 dead from a virus or the total economic collapse of our country with 3-5 million unemployed and poverty rates through the roof. With all the crime , drug use , disease and all that comes with it. I don’t know the answer but what we are doing isn’t working.
The problem is that people either can't see or refuse to see what is coming. There was a story in the herald yesterday about how the unemployment trust fund will be depleted within weeks.

So all those people who are happy to insist on us all saying home because "we will just get unemployment" will soon find themselves without a check.

Old 04-12-2020, 07:14 AM

3,373 posts, read 1,538,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
We can’t keep just shutting down places of business because of a virus. We are literally crippling the nation doing what we are doing right now. Record unemployment numbers with most of those jobs not coming back. We haven’t seen the worst of the collapse yet either. That will come later down the line when the millions with no jobs stop spending because they are broke.

Dr fauci is a fraud at first he said millions would die. then he said 200,000 and we are no where near that. Everything needs to open up. Dr fauci is full of it and all the models where wrong. Its going to be more then 3- 5 million unemployed a lot of those buisness closing are never coming back. I heard 17 million might be unemployed . More people will die from poverty. During the great depression lots of people commited suicide.

When a lot less people die then predicteded they will say see what we did worked. Its all bull.

In michigan if you go and visit another neighbor they can arrest you. thats so authoritarian its not even funny. the goverment should fear the people not the other way around.

They are using this virus to take our freedoms away.

Old 04-12-2020, 07:15 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,097,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
The problem is that people either can't see or refuse to see what is coming. There was a story in the herald yesterday about how the unemployment trust fund will be depleted within weeks.

So all those people who are happy to insist on us all saying home because "we will just get unemployment" will soon find themselves without a check.
There’s no such thing as an unemployment trust fund. Corporations, small business, LLC’s basically anything that employs a certain amount of people pays into unemployment. There will be money, but it isn’t enough to cover a mortgage or rent, cover utilities and food , clothing and essential items. People will be forced to give up Cars, Cellphones, Internet and television. And all those industries will feel it and try to pass their burden down to the consumer.

As a nation this needs to end much sooner rather than much later.

Old 04-12-2020, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
From today's Boston Globe (a nursing home a mile from my former home in Middlesex County)

https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...nashoba-valley
You will notice there is zero information in there about age or race or preexisting conditions... almost if they just want to censor information to keep fear up?

Old 04-12-2020, 07:39 AM

295 posts, read 316,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
Dr fauci is a fraud at first he said millions would die. then he said 200,000 and we are no where near that. Everything needs to open up. Dr fauci is full of it and all the models where wrong
I think some of the predictions were based on assumptions that if there were no social distancing policies in place, etc.

Obviously those estimates would be adjusted downward if these guidelines were in place.

Old 04-12-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
I think some of the predictions were based on assumptions that if there were no social distancing policies in place, etc.
I don't see how anyone can say social distancing is working.

1. Plenty of people still get the flu during holiday weekends etc. That is a time of social distancing with most people out of work and not shopping.

2. First it was social distancing then it was "lock down" still have 33k cases a day.

3. Then lock own wasn't enough and we are wearing masks and gloves, still 33K cases a day.

4. Soon we will be in full hazmats at home in lock down and people will still be screaming for more restrictions.

Old 04-12-2020, 07:45 AM

295 posts, read 316,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBThescot View Post
The thing about Russian Roulette or musical chairs is, eventually, someone loses. As long as it's you not me, open it up any way you want.
Everyone has their ideas on what they think should happen, but I’d like to know what is most likely to happen. I really hope people can disprove my theory on what might happen over next 18 months but am discouraged no one has as of yet.

People keep saying we should open up in May. I’d like to know exactly what that plan is instead of just saying “people need to work”. We all know that but give us the plan.

Others say we should shut down til the end of the year. I’d like to hear from those people how we get back to normal other than comments stating “we don’t want the hospitals to be overwhelmed”. We all know that but where’s the plan in long run?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts