Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2021, 10:24 AM

779 posts, read 877,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Ah, if it were only that simple. You do realize the critical difference is you can't "transmit" a mosquito bite to someone else, right? So your seemingly personal refusal to get vaxxed (multiplied by millions of others) in reality has a broader societal impact.
Well given that not a single person in my household contracted covid, seems like I had a difficult time transmitting it to others. But good news for you--if you're vaxxed, then you're all set!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2021, 10:36 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
Well given that not a single person in my household contracted covid, seems like I had a difficult time transmitting it to others. But good news for you--if you're vaxxed, then you're all set!
That's atypical, and the exception does not disprove the rule. People have died after asymptomatic family members exposed them to it. I personally know of someone, previously healthy, who ended up in the ICU (this was pre-vaccine). I'm glad that your family was among the exceptions.

Old 06-04-2021, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
That's atypical, and the exception does not disprove the rule. People have died after asymptomatic family members exposed them to it. I personally know of someone, previously healthy, who ended up in the ICU (this was pre-vaccine). I'm glad that your family was among the exceptions.
I wasn't trying to state that it's typical. My point is that people are making vaccine decisions based on the data presented to them and their own personal experiences. As a person who has had covid and was asymptomatic, that is a consideration for me. As far as I can tell, given my experience, I am at no risk of being hospitalized...or even feeling ill, which is the #1 reason to get the vaccine. There is also no definitive research as to which type of immunity lasts longer: the vaccine or natural immunity. Nor is there research that states that I'm more or less likely to spread covid vs. somebody who is vaccinated if infected. Or which is more effective against virus mutations. These are all things I've discussed with my doctor. This is my personal experience, but many others who have still not been vaccinated are making the same types of personal decisions.

Old 06-04-2021, 11:34 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
I wasn't trying to state that it's typical. My point is that people are making vaccine decisions based on the data presented to them and their own personal experiences. As a person who has had covid and was asymptomatic, that is a consideration for me. As far as I can tell, given my experience, I am at no risk of being hospitalized...or even feeling ill, which is the #1 reason to get the vaccine. There is also no definitive research as to which type of immunity lasts longer: the vaccine or natural immunity. Nor is there research that states that I'm more or less likely to spread covid vs. somebody who is vaccinated if infected. Or which is more effective against virus mutations. These are all things I've discussed with my doctor. This is my personal experience, but many others who have still not been vaccinated are making the same types of personal decisions.

I don't have a problem with this sort of justification. I was on the fence for reasons like this, but ultimately i chose to get it for other reasons. But still, no issue with reasons such as you state.

It's when i hear "The vaccine has chips in it to track you" or "The vaccine is so the govt can sterilize the population" that I check out of the conversation and forever change my perspective on someone. So just to be clear when i state i am eye-rolling at anti-vaxxer's comments, it's these particular extreme excuses that i am flabbergasted with.

Old 06-04-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I don't have a problem with this sort of justification. I was on the fence for reasons like this, but ultimately i chose to get it for other reasons. But still, no issue with reasons such as you state.

It's when i hear "The vaccine has chips in it to track you" or "The vaccine is so the govt can sterilize the population" that I check out of the conversation and forever change my perspective on someone. So just to be clear when i state i am eye-rolling at anti-vaxxer's comments, it's these particular extreme excuses that i am flabbergasted with.
I feel the exact same way. And I do know a person who is like this and we have had multiple arguments (I don't even know if you'd call them arguments--I find the "data" he presents to be completely insane, so I basically have stopped talking about it with him).

I feel there is a lot of societal pressure--especially in this area--to get the vaccine. If you haven't gotten the vaccine, then you are anti-science (e.g. stupid), or you are a conspiracy theorist.

The message right now is to get the vaccine no matter what. It's basically become your patriotic duty. In this campaign to get as many vaccinated as possible, it's not like the CDC is going to come out and say "you know what, if you've had covid and you were asymptomatic, it might be ok to wait for more studies to come out about the duration of protection and the rates of re-infection for those who've had covid vs. those who've been vaccinated." Or "research shows us that those who've been infected with covid have more antibodies with one shot vs. those who've not had covid and had two shots, so we'll change the recommendation for you." Sometimes it feels that actual research has been sidelined in order to get the "vaccination at all costs" message across as strongly as possible.

It's not that those who are doing their own "research" are idiots. We understand that we don't have our own labs and we aren't privvy to the data that epidemiologists or virologists have. But I also think there is data out there that isn't what the CDC is pushing. Or maybe more accurately, a LACK of data that we'd like to be explored before making a personal decision.

Old 06-04-2021, 12:00 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
The common one I’m hearing is a concern the vaccine will cause a robust enough immune response to cause a hospitalization. The data, however, doesn’t support this.

Anecdotes continue to drive a lot of decision making, unfortunately, including those claiming to have reviewed “the data”. The mRNA vaccines ability to protect against variants was my primary motivation being in a low risk category.

Old 06-04-2021, 12:09 PM

9,093 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
The government pushing sterilization reason is actually ridiculous. Most governments are encouraging people to reproduce because the pension / social security programs need to have more young / working age people in the population than retirees. Current social constructs in many countries are still dependent on a growing population. Another example is university enrollments.

Old 06-04-2021, 02:20 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
We already have things that track you. social media and smart phones :-o

anyway.

So I have a interview in about a week and a half and they STILL want it on zoom? Really? I've had some in person ones even without a mask but I thought we were past zoom interviews if you can drive there. Anyone else experience this? I'm fully vaccinated and I'm sure the interview is. I'm not offended but I would generally think most would be doing things in person. Now I have to go back to the laptop, adjust the lighting, camera, audio and act like the past four months didn't happen.

I also applied for a position that on one site says remote (posted a few weeks ago) and yet on their official site says nothing of the sort. Not saying I'd go hire a lawyer but consistency is important. If a job is remote fine I'll set things up on my end. If it suddenly changes without a notification that might be called bait and switch.

Old 06-04-2021, 02:29 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
The vast majority of people I know who are not vaccinated (myself included) are not anti-vaxxers. We are looking at the data available to us and making the best decision for us. Having had covid already, I would rather have covid than a mosquito bite. It was that much of a non-issue for me.

As for kids, given the incredibly low risk posed to them, I also understand why so many parents are not interested in a vaccine for their children regardless of whether it is fully FDA approved or not.
I'm curious what specific data suggested that the vaccine was not a good choice for you.

Old 06-04-2021, 03:22 PM

9,093 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
We already have things that track you. social media and smart phones :-o
Exactly. I do believe the government and perhaps other organizations want to track everyone. I also believe it would be possible to put microscopic tracking devices in vaccines but why bother when people are so willing to be glued to their smartphones! Humanity always takes the path of least resistance, so trackers in vaccines while possible will never be likely. Get young people hooked on technology and apps that require GPS to be active and mission accomplished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts