Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2020, 09:06 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I am cautiously optimistic. However, I have noticed a weekend dip. I suspect that something that reports does not work on the weekends.
One of the fairly obvious explanations for the difference between Sat./Sun. is that there were more than 2,000 fewer tests conducted in the day leading up to Sunday. 3,137 tests conducted vs. over 5,800 the day prior. So naturally, the number of confirmed cases will be lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2020, 09:16 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
MA is now projected to peak on April 18th. That's 2 days later.
Seems like Groundhog Day with these models.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:17 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
we've seen a few times numbers drop and then go back up again if we see a sustained leveling for two or three days I think that would be the start of a good sign.

I made a mask the other day without having to sell anything. Basically I took a t-shirt I cut it into a square hole it a few times and then super glued it actually I used a glue gun. Then with an old pair of gym shoes lace and ran them them through. I would say this took about 5 minutes to make and of course cool down for the glue to settle.

Remember to wash them in hot water

Old 04-06-2020, 09:25 AM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Personally, I'm not at all comfortable putting something on my face that has been in someone else's house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I would assume no matter where it came from that you would wash in hot water with detergent before using and following every subsequent usage.

I understand that fear, though. That's why there are so many tutorials online about how to make your own no-sew cloth masks from a bandana or old tshirt along with hair ties or elastics. If you *can* sew, you don't really even need the elastics - you can rig up your own ties yourself.
Yeah, but still...

The face (mouth, nose, eyes) is where it enters your system. And it's not 100% clear what does and what doesn't kill this virus.

Even if it came out sloppy (but functional), I'd much prefer to use my own materials.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:26 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
I am wondering if it’s necessary to wear a mask or bandana while walking outside. I can see doing that if you were in nyc but I have seen people wearing them while on hiking trails or walking down the street. I can see wearing one in a store or inside.

My husband was in line waiting for takeout and a guy came in wearing a mask and came up very close to him. Why do this if you also feel the need to put on a mask while picking up takeout? DH just turned around and said can you give me 6 feet?

Last edited by Bridge781; 04-06-2020 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: M

Old 04-06-2020, 09:39 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I am wondering if it’s necessary to wear a mask or bandana while walking outside. I can see doing that if you were in nyc but I love seen people wearing them while on hiking trails or walking down the street. I can see wearing one in a store or inside.

My husband was in line waiting for takeout and a guy came in wearing a mask and came up very close to him. Why do this if you also feel the need to put on a mask while picking up takeout? DH just turned around and said can you give me 6 feet?
Another thing is that if it's not an N95 mask, it's pretty useless against a virus. These homemade masks (or respirators) might be better than nothing I suppose, they certainly should not give anybody a feeling that they have any kind of ample protection.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:46 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Thanks for noticing that the death toll went downward slightly on that model. When I saw the update, I had a surge of despair that the peak was a few days later. I know logically that is what happens as the curve flattens, but I know the next few weeks until we get to and even for weeks after we hit the peak is going to be exceptionally difficult.
In this case, later peak with less deaths does suggest a flattening of the curve. Really need to watch it a few more days to see if the weekend's reduction in cases was an outlier, or does indicate a trend.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:48 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
I mean if you’re just getting something quickly at the store I see no harm in wearing one. I think the odds of getting it at a store if you’re in an out quickly are low.

But is there really a need to wear one if you’re walking on a hike alone?

I feel nervous when I see people in masks. Makes me wonder if they have symptoms and if they do they should be HOME. I just question if there’s a need for one while out walking. There’s been confusing info on masks throughout this whole thing.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:55 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
I feel nervous when I see people in masks. Makes me wonder if they have symptoms and if they do they should be HOME. I just question if there’s a need for one while out walking. There’s been confusing info on masks throughout this whole thing.

People might well be wearing masks outside from an abundance of caution on general principle. If wearing them while hiking or such, might well have had them on from being around people or planning to be around people, like hiking and then getting takeout or something.

I wear my cloth mask on my few errands outside my house and put it on before I start the car to avoid fumbling with it coming and going from the errands. At first, people did look at me like I must be Typhoid Mary, but my town has been pretty proactive and they don't seem to suspect me any more.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:07 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:

But is there really a need to wear one if you’re walking on a hike alone?

This graphic should help.

The bandana or scarf really only protect against the two blue projections. These particulates are quite large and able to be captured by most household materials. So if you go grocery shopping and someone is talking next to you, it should stop those particles from being inhaled.

The red particulates are the ones to worry about. These are very small particulates under 5 microns able to be suspended in air and float. You need an N95 for these. Your average household materials are not as effective. What are the chances of encountering the red particulates just floating in the air when you are out for a hike? Well, unless you are wearing an N95...it doesn't matter.

My company (well, my team) has been testing numerous household materials to measure performance when used as a mask. Your N95 is 95.0% efficient at particles sizes around 70-100nm. A cotton T-shirt was around 24.0% efficient. A makeup pad was around 40%.

There's been debate on changing seasons reducing the spread. The justification for this thought it because environmental conditions tend to make the formation of the red particulates harder due to humidity in the air. The debate is whether or not this is affected the same way.

Example of some of those debates.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world...es/ar-BB1277lm

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...se-possibility
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts