Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2020, 05:35 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Restaurant owners and workers will not want this article going around. Also I can’t say I’ve heard any instances of corona spreading at a restaurant. I’ve heard of restaurant workers having it but these seem like isolated incidents where the virus doesn’t spread to other workers or patrons. It definitely seems to be spreading at parties - house parties, weddings bachelorette parties, now sports teams. Show me a story where it has spread at restaurants and I’ll stop going. Also maybe bars where the same people are hanging out together for hours in a close space? At a restaurant you’re normally in and out in an hour. I do think restaurants will be in trouble once the warmer weather is gone. People are less likely to want to dine indoors. And if we see another spike it will really be too bad.
I know of a personal story but it didn't happen in MA. It happened to the brother of a friend who lives in MA. The brother lives in Missouri. He is over age 65 and he and his wife never went anywhere, just hunkered down at home. Finally he got fed up and decided to take his wife out to dinner. Next thing they knew, he had COVID. He had a really bad case, ended up on a ventilator, and it didn't look like he was going to make it. This was a couple of months ago and he's fine now, as far as I know. It can't be proven that he got it from the restaurant but there aren't many other possibilities--touching the groceries after they've been delivered? They never went anywhere, never had anyone else in their house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2020, 05:42 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I’ll do outdoor. Indoor I’ll pass on. Granted my first dining out trip since Feb only occured this past weekend. Seemed more of a hassle than enjoyable and limited menu options were a turnoff. Basically it felt like a PITA way to get an overpriced hamburger.

Given thst it’s getting chilly at night, it’s going to force more patrons indoors now. However in reading that article, it seems like correlation and not necessarily causation

Old 09-11-2020, 05:54 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
However in reading that article, it seems like correlation and not necessarily causation
This. People who eat indoors are probably also doing things like seeing friends, attending family gatherings, church etc. More likely to participate in risky behavior. Like you I didn't see anything that would help with causation/restaurants specifically.

Old 09-11-2020, 06:54 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
Well I’ve gone to restaurants but I’m not doing things like going to family gatherings (no one is having any really), church or any type of party. When I’ve gone to restaurants it’s outside or when indoors there aren’t many people. I definitely won’t do this if numbers increase. But for now I feel ok about it. I am a bit more leery about this report.

We had some workers at our house today and I mentioned to them that I was on my way to pick up some take out. One guy was like oh yeah I’m headed there too my girlfriend works there. I mentioned the cdc study I’d just heard about and the other guy goes, this is all going to be forgotten about on November 4th. Said guy is also the owner of the company. I don’t know why people think this will be over nov 4th but it seems like quite a few people believe this. Not just idiot trumpers but professional people with graduate degrees. I don’t think this will all be over in less than 2 months.

Old 09-11-2020, 07:13 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Well I’ve gone to restaurants but I’m not doing things like going to family gatherings (no one is having any really), church or any type of party. When I’ve gone to restaurants it’s outside or when indoors there aren’t many people. I definitely won’t do this if numbers increase. But for now I feel ok about it. I am a bit more leery about this report.

We had some workers at our house today and I mentioned to them that I was on my way to pick up some take out. One guy was like oh yeah I’m headed there too my girlfriend works there. I mentioned the cdc study I’d just heard about and the other guy goes, this is all going to be forgotten about on November 4th. Said guy is also the owner of the company. I don’t know why people think this will be over nov 4th but it seems like quite a few people believe this. Not just idiot trumpers but professional people with graduate degrees. I don’t think this will all be over in less than 2 months.
I keep reading stupid stuff like that on CD, that it will be all over by Nov.4th. Why would it be? That's just plain ignorant. On the other end, we have Dr Fauci saying (today?) that it won't be over until somewhere near the end of 2021. That's depressing.

I get take out occasionally. Had great food from the local Indian restaurant today. Sometimes I go and get a nice smoothie from a local place whose owner is an RN and I know that place is spotless and that they follow the rules.

But while visiting a friend in Northampton a few weeks ago, I saw her going everywhere--in and out of all the stores, swimming in a neighbor's pool, and I'm seeing pictures on FB of her and friends eating inside restaurants. They are all in their 60s and 70s! They're always eating inside restaurants and when I was visiting, she wanted me to eat in one. I refused and we took the food home instead. I don't see people having family gatherings; they are all cancelled, especially weddings. There are no churches open that I know of. I have a cousin with COVID right now--thank goodness I hadn't seen them in a few weeks. That virus is still out there and I'm not letting my guard down.

Old 09-11-2020, 08:29 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I keep reading stupid stuff like that on CD, that it will be all over by Nov.4th.
C'mon, don't you know there's a secret room at the center of the earth where people more powerful than the US president (or maybe aliens) pull strings to make anything they want happen. Their brilliant scheme was to concoct a virus, kill almost 1 million people worldwide, and upset the global economy on an unprecedented scale? All to make Trump lose the election?

Nov 4th it just goes away?

Old 09-11-2020, 09:11 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
The virus won’t vanish on 11/4, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see many people (or organizations) change their tune about kids going back to school about that time.

“15 days to slow the spread” is really evergreen.

Old 09-12-2020, 01:34 AM

12,432 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I’ll do outdoor. Indoor I’ll pass on. Granted my first dining out trip since Feb only occured this past weekend. Seemed more of a hassle than enjoyable and limited menu options were a turnoff. Basically it felt like a PITA way to get an overpriced hamburger.

Given thst it’s getting chilly at night, it’s going to force more patrons indoors now. However in reading that article, it seems like correlation and not necessarily causation
It also struck me that there could be elements of correlation here, where the label of being a restaurant goer is also classifying people that engage in more risky behaviors generally... and at first blush I didn't see any necessary difference between going to a restaurant or a supermarket, given mask-wearing and social distancing at both...

However, on reflecting more, although people in restaurants may still be distanced, they typically take off their masks at their tables - after all, they're eating and drinking. And while a cough or a sneeze is no doubt the most dangerous expulsion of airborne viral particles, there have been reports that even talking, particularly talking loudly and/or in a confined space, can spread the virus as an aerosol as well. Then besides other diners, there's the possibility of a food preparer or server not practicing rigorous hygiene. So... while there may not be enough information to know, I do think it's possible that restaurant dining, particularly indoors, could present an elevated risk.

Old 09-12-2020, 07:36 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I don't think it's quite as obvious as you're making it out to be. In any case, it's good to have scientific data, as state officials try to make decisions nationwide on reopening. In the case of indoor dining, which I still refuse to patronize, it's several factors--masks off (of necessity), talking, closed space, >15 min exposure time.
Agree. Although I will agree the more you are out in public especially indoors the more likely you are to get it, this is barely anything relevant. If you are more likely to go out around people of course your chances are higher.

Of course there was that study in NYC during lockdown where they had around 67% of people who got the virus and they couldn't figure out how. They hadn't eaten out, or done anything "risky".

I also find it stupid that masks are required on airplanes but you can take them off for a bunch of time to eat or drink. At that point (if you believe masks actually work), then what is the point. The virus is already out and about in the aircraft.

Old 09-12-2020, 09:28 PM

17,739 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
Agree. Although I will agree the more you are out in public especially indoors the more likely you are to get it, this is barely anything relevant. If you are more likely to go out around people of course your chances are higher.

Barely anything relevant? It's not about being around people; it's about being around people while not wearing a mask...and indoors. This basically means you can forget about indoor restaurants, bars/clubs, and SCHOOLS (unless you're going to have half days as lunch is a huge problem).

Quote:
Of course there was that study in NYC during lockdown where they had around 67% of people who got the virus and they couldn't figure out how. They hadn't eaten out, or done anything "risky".

I recall that study, and you're forgetting that nearly all of those people used public transportation (subway) without masks. There's no big mystery here.

Quote:
I also find it stupid that masks are required on airplanes but you can take them off for a bunch of time to eat or drink. At that point (if you believe masks actually work), then what is the point. The virus is already out and about in the aircraft.

Again, being around people while indoors without a mask is a huge problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts