Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2020, 11:06 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Has anyone else been given a date of when they’ll return to the office? We had a meeting a few weeks ago where they said probably until December. Then another email went out today about reopening the wet lab on June 8th and all other personal will work remote until at least the end of August and possibly until the end of December depending on the pandemic.

That seems kind of unclear. I guess if there’s no coronavirus really happening we’ll return at the end of August but If there is the date moves to December. Hmm.

It also seems like a bad idea if all companies are sending employees back to the office at the same time.
It's probably unclear because they're unclear on how to proceed. Without knowing details, I'd imagine you'll likely see people return in waves in the time frame they've given you for exactly the reason you mentioned - it's a bad idea to have everyone back at once. But it could also change. You may not go in at all if there's a second wave, and you may go in earlier if this thing somehow becomes a non-factor (unlikely). It's really fluid.

Our workforce has been told that there are no imminent plans to bring remote workers back to our offices. On the other hand, I have access to mine and have been going in twice per week since last Monday. It's really nice to get back in, though I've observed only about 5% of the normal crowd is in. I've biked all 4 days so far thanks to the weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2020, 11:43 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Has anyone else been given a date of when they’ll return to the office? We had a meeting a few weeks ago where they said probably until December. Then another email went out today about reopening the wet lab on June 8th and all other personal will work remote until at least the end of August and possibly until the end of December depending on the pandemic.

That seems kind of unclear. I guess if there’s no coronavirus really happening we’ll return at the end of August but If there is the date moves to December. Hmm.

It also seems like a bad idea if all companies are sending employees back to the office at the same time.
My employer went to a 25% rotation in the office back in April. I’m a remote employee though so I’ll remain WFH.

Old 06-04-2020, 12:26 PM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
About 20% of employees including all executives are in the office 5 days/week right now--I work for a company in the 'burbs with more office space than we need. I've been told my department will be coming back sometime in July, but they are likely going to be moving desks and having a rotating schedule, so I don't know what days I'll be in the office. For those of us who've been working from home for months and can continue to do so, there is no pressure to come back. My kids will be starting camp the week of 6/29 and while I still have a couple of weeks of camp to fill in July, I should be able to get back into the office at least a couple of days a week starting in July.

My husband works for a large company downtown and they've been told that they'll start bringing people back in the office starting Labor Day.

Old 06-04-2020, 01:13 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
There were some changes made in our office. Cubes were spread out, and extended upwards a bit. Walkways have been designated 1-way with signs showing you how to proceed around. If I print something out, I have to walk 300 feet to get to a printer 20 feet away now.

Cleaning stations have been set up, seats removed from conference rooms other than 2 or 4 depending on the size. Doors propped, etc etc etc.

Figuring it all out by the seat of our pants really.

Old 06-04-2020, 01:31 PM

9,882 posts, read 7,212,572 times
My wife was advised this week that WFH will be the norm for the foreseeable future. You can come into the office but only to pick things up they may need and they are to touch as little as possible.

They have found:

- WFH has been just as productive as in the office even with interruptions
- many employees have concerns about summer childcare
- even at 20%, that would be close to 800 people trying to enter and leave the building daily
- they are on a T line which is heavily used and although they have a parking garage, they don't want to add to traffic
- they were already tight on space so spacing people out was going to be difficult
- as a healthcare provider, they don't want to have an outbreak.

IMHO, they are going to keep people home until there is a vaccine or real proof that the virus is gone.

Old 06-04-2020, 02:10 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
WHO chief scientist Dr Soumya Swaminathan has said there is still no clear link between coronavirus and the disease
Haven’t heard much (anything) about this in the past several weeks. On to the next narrative I suppose. Those accusing the media and certain politicians of fear mongering to further their ends are looking more credible every day.

Old 06-04-2020, 02:18 PM

6,132 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Clearest explanation yet of what can open when, with the timing of Phases. I'm personally very happy to see that gyms can open as early as 6/29. Not being able to do my daily workout has been a significant downer for me during this WFH period. I know, it could be a heck of a lot worse, not complaining!

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/06/...-phases-2-3-4/

Old 06-04-2020, 02:38 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Clearest explanation yet of what can open when, with the timing of Phases. I'm personally very happy to see that gyms can open as early as 6/29. Not being able to do my daily workout has been a significant downer for me during this WFH period. I know, it could be a heck of a lot worse, not complaining!

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/06/...-phases-2-3-4/

My gym in RI is supposed to open sooner, even this weekend. I keep going by. My home workout is ok, but its pretty much kettle bell and my body weight limited. I really want to get back too.

Old 06-04-2020, 04:29 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
If you put 37,000 people in Fenway Park every night
It's now rumored that MLB will allow the Astros and the Rangers to play in front of fans at 50% capacity this season if there is one. I suppose this could extend to other teams if allowed by other states, but the Red Sox will be out of luck I have to think. We'll have to see about the Patriots.

Old 06-05-2020, 06:13 AM

9,882 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
It's now rumored that MLB will allow the Astros and the Rangers to play in front of fans at 50% capacity this season if there is one. I suppose this could extend to other teams if allowed by other states, but the Red Sox will be out of luck I have to think. We'll have to see about the Patriots.
The state of Texas said it would allow half capacity at outdoor venues. A couple of things that stand in the way:

- MLB would have to negotiate that with the players union as well as the other owners

- IndyCar and the PGA have both said they will restart events in Texas without fans

- technically neither stadium is considered an outdoor venue as they have retractable roofs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts