Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2018, 12:30 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,233,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Most of the wealthy or people who care about education go to private schools in the South. Public education is not the best here but I doubt it is good at any American High School. I am not trying to be that european elitist but public education is not USA's best point.
Massachusetts has the best public schools in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 05:30 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Most of the wealthy or people who care about education go to private schools in the South. Public education is not the best here but I doubt it is good at any American High School. I am not trying to be that european elitist but public education is not USA's best point.
Massachusetts has public education on par with South Korea or Norway.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:37 AM

349 posts, read 320,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Boston won't be S.F. or even NYC in the foreseeable future because the population growth just is not there to support that king of house price inflation. Now if Amazon does something stupid on put its HQ2 in Boston, all bets are off.
SF and NYC are leading indicators of unaffordability, and Boston appears to me on a similar trajectory - just 4-9 years behind in the curve. I've been encouraging cowokers to buy real estate in Boston because it represents a compelling value.

I repeatedly see references to cost of living for the middle class, these arguments are the wrong reference point. Look at Shanghai where median income is $20-40k (depending on nominal exchange or PPP conversion) but median real estate is $800k. For these most desirable cities, look towards the top 10% of wealth and income to see the direction of a city. Boston has long been a center of education, but healthcare and tech have seen tremendous growth recently. Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Amazon, etc. have an increasing presence here.

As a city, we can bury our heads in the sand like SF did. This path leads to another doubling of home prices in Boston. Or, we can build density and transit to maintain some semblance of socioeconomic diversity. As a homeowner, I benefit financially from the former. As a resident, I prefer the latter.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:00 AM

880 posts, read 819,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
That cottage is Palo Alto did not sell for 2.6M. It is listed at 2.6M. Huge difference.

Anyone can list anything at any price. It means nothing.
You are right, i should have used another example.

This one sold last month for 2.75M, 1100sqft and small lot and last renovated in the 70's. Comparable location in MA would be prime brookline or newton comm ave carriage lane. A similar condition/size home on those MA locations would probably sell for 1.3M (contractor will attempt to flip/double size for 2M)

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Palo-Alto/...01/home/543009

Last edited by bugelrex; 07-15-2018 at 08:19 AM..

Old 07-15-2018, 08:03 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
No the bottom districts in MA would be Boston, Lawrence, Holyoke, Springfield, Fall River...Everett and Revere are a good notch above those. Comparing the Nashville metro which I am familiar with, Rutherford and Wilson Counties are better than Everett and Revere. No question. Williamson is comparable to the best in MA, might as well be Wellesley, Newton, or Dover-Sherborn. Metro Nashville-Davidson is certainly no worse than Boston. It's the "upper-middle" (thinking Sumner County) that may not stack up quite as high as the equivalent in MA (Canton, Sharon, Walpole...), but again they are not really comparable to the size and socioeconomic diversity Sumner County has. No state income tax in TN.

Yep. Brentwood in Williamson County is easily at parity with the top-10 in metro Boston. My point was that not all Massachusetts schools are good. Upper middle class schools in Massachusetts are superb. The schools in middle class towns are generally good because they're town schools, not county/regional schools where you get more diversity. Towns use zoning to keep out low income people who would degrade their school systems. You can't call Brockton schools 'good'. Ditto any of the other high poverty rate cities & towns in Massachusetts. Massachusetts schools are highly segregated. Just along socioeconomic lines rather than racial lines.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:24 AM

880 posts, read 819,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowstatus View Post
Look at Shanghai where median income is $20-40k (depending on nominal exchange or PPP conversion) but median real estate is $800k.
I wouldn't use Shanghai as an example because of the sickening income disparity and corruption and the 'real estate culture' (A man cannot expect to marry unless they OWN a place to live). Better comparison would be London or European cities

Old 07-15-2018, 08:25 AM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
On a similar topic, check out what $1M gets you in Belmont these days ..... Wow!

331 Common street

- A full gut to the shell rehab is needed as it is not even livable (look at the pics in the link)
https://realtor.com/realestateandhom...0-77145#photo5

- 2300 ft on a 6000 ft lot
- Very busy street
- No room to expand given lot size and city ordinances
- Under agreement in a week
- Listed at 979 and sold for 950 (cash) .... only reason it went for under ask is cash buyer/developer

Wow!

Old 07-15-2018, 08:38 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
But the rate at which they are going up is crazy. My neighborhood is actually nuts right now. Three houses sold within the last 9 months all over asking. Based on what they sold for, how they comp, and with my sweat equity and updates I'm fairly confident I could sell my house for $100k over what I paid for it 3 years ago.
I have my home in my "mint" app and every time I log on I am shocked at how much it is going up. A home in my neighborhood is having an open house today. If it sells for what she is asking and I think it might be more.. the value of my house is going to go up. No home in the area has sold for years. Hurting the valuation.

Everyone keeps telling me the market will cool but I doubt it. There just isn't enough inventory and so many new places are rentals.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:54 AM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
On a similar topic, check out what $1M gets you in Belmont these days ..... Wow!

331 Common street

- A full gut to the shell rehab is needed as it is not even livable (look at the pics in the link)
https://realtor.com/realestateandhom...0-77145#photo5

- 2300 ft on a 6000 ft lot
- Very busy street
- No room to expand given lot size and city ordinances
- Under agreement in a week
- Listed at 979 and sold for 950 (cash) .... only reason it went for under ask is cash buyer/developer

Wow!
I bet that house was owned by a very old couple who obviously did nothing for 60 years. Common Street is busy, but it's a very high-end area, with stately housing-stock up & down the street. Once they fix it up they will make a good profit.

Last edited by Brave Stranger; 07-15-2018 at 10:03 AM..

Old 07-15-2018, 10:29 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Massachusetts has public education on par with South Korea or Norway.

UMMMM no way no chance mate that is true at all. If you mean higher education with Harvard and MIT then yes but not K-12, US public education is a joke man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts