Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 04:49 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,355,750 times

Advertisements

My kids were with them and worked alot. The did both print and commercials. They are one of the better agencies in Boston and were recommended to me by an industry professional.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:11 AM

257 posts, read 1,335,085 times
All agencies make you buy your own comp cards, and alot make you take a class with them that you have to pay for, etc. It's just how it is. 5 bookings in a year isn't too bad, especially in Boston. It's not a full-time job for most people.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:53 AM

1 posts, read 15,114 times
I wouldn't pay $1200 for a headshot, or portfolio photos. That's kind of a ridiculous rate.

My photos were taken professionally, and while I do expect to be told to get new photos, new comp card, new portfolio, and maybe even pay to be put on their website (if they do that sort of service for clients) if I sign with a new agency - I do expect to pay for all of this myself - but I do not expect my photos to be $1200.

A decent, industry acceptable headshot can be done for as little as $150 and can go up from there. Mid-range is about $250. Portfolio building sessions will obviously be more, but still not $1200 unless you're ordering a large number of prints! I hope that they are giving you options when they tell you you need a headshot, and not forwarding you to one specific photographer with an outrageous rate.

There are tons of scam "agencies" and "modeling schools" in New England (all over, really, but there seem to be more scams in New England than actual agencies). It's really disheartening for me, as I've been looking for an actual brick-and-mortar agency that isn't full of people who think I'm stupid to how agencies work and assume I can be easily taken advantage of. Dynasty holds promise!!!!!

You guys really ought to read up on modeling scams. Dynasty does not sound like a scam at all.

If your kid isn't getting work, maybe it's because he's just not cut out for the part (you should expect to hear more "no"s than "yes"s anyway), and if he's constantly being turned away, well then maybe he's just not cut out to be a working model.
It sounds like many of you have at least had offers, though, casting calls and go-sees and that's a positive sign.

I know of these agencies in New England that expect you to pay large amounts of $$$ up front for "seminars" and "classes" (you don't need these, a true agency will help develop you!): -- any agency that is charging you upfront for things besides comp cards, photos, etc smells like a scam and even if they are legitimate, they are unwelcome to newcomers, as no real agency charges people for classes before signing them. "Give us money before we sign you" is a sign that there isn't enough work up front for the models it has already - so walk out the door if you hear that! Agents know that just by signing you, you are not guaranteed any actual work, but you invest a little in photos and hope for the best. So no real agency is going to charge you thousands for "classes" - money that you may never be able to earn back!

And these are scams, for certain: anything with "modeling school" in the title, anything that requires you to take classes and seminars, or anything that has a bad reputation online - (read up on Google before you apply, people - they're known for signing models, getting them to work, and then NEVER PAYING THEIR MODELS.)

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-15-2009 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: no names, no consumer complaints - this is not the site for that

Old 08-06-2009, 09:07 AM

1 posts, read 14,561 times
My 5 year old son has been a Dynasty model since he was 1 1/2 years old. His first job was a national print ad for Gerber. Since then he has been in Family Fun magazine, on the cover of a Hasbro game box and 2 Play-doh products. Dynasty is a family owned and operated business. The owners are wonderful people who ALWAYS treat my son with kindness and respect. As with any hobby (which is what modeling is in the Boston market), there are costs associated with it. In modeling, you must cover the cost of your "comp card" which works as your resume. It is no more expensive than say skating lessons or karate classes. The difference is, you earn the money back after a gig or two. Then you can start saving for those college books! =)

Old 02-08-2010, 11:24 AM

5 posts, read 62,806 times
Being a former model I know for a fact a legit agency does not supply a photo shoot. You need to arrive with a portfolio. Just go to any reputable photographer and get your photos from them.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 13,749 times
You should not pay an fee for them to represent you. However any photo supply's (headshots, comp cards are your responsibility) unless the agency is taking a large percentage most only take about 10%. So yes there is a cost for us as the parents or potential models.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:07 PM

7 posts, read 95,431 times
My experience is in the casting end. Models from Maggie, Dynasty and Model Club get booked. From a casting prospective, you need cards/head shots, we use them to talk about who came to see us.
This is a secondary market, but there are kids getting roles in movies, catalog work, etc. I don't think anybody could make much in runway, but if you are willing to hustle, there is a market in Boston.
I am actually on this website, because of the Boston Herald article on Modeling Scams and I just wanted to warn parents; 1. Stay away from "schools", if they think they can book you/your child, they will coach you. 2. If you are not bringing a book of work from another agency/city, you will have to make an initial investment, for your personal tools. If you were in New York or LA, it is possible you would not have to. 3. Learn to make your agent your partner, I am serious about this. I have called to book someone and their agent hasn't been able to get hold of them, so the job has gone to the second place. 4. Dress appropriately, most businesses have a website, look up the company they are sending you too and keep it simple, but let them know you 've done your research 5. Open calls are NOT a bad thing, these jobs usually pay well, they are usually hiring several models and having a good card/book will put you at the head of the line.
One last thing after reading these posts, be a friendly pest to your agent, they are YOUR agent. How did Cameron Diaz get her role in Mask, she was dropping by showing her new look to her agent and saw the call sheet.
Lastly, if you are a parent, your kids do NOT have to behave perfectly. If we are casting kids, we like kids. Bring a small video game, toy, snack, whatever....teach them to smile at the check in person (who is probably giving a list to the casting agents) and have them dressed in a cute look, but no make-up, no hair bows, no jewelry. We really are trying to see the child, often trying to match them to an adult we have already booked.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:40 AM

1 posts, read 13,487 times
Anyone have a teen and what their experience with Dynasty or Cameo?

Old 03-31-2010, 09:52 AM

660 posts, read 1,540,290 times
Is it just me, or do most of the posters in this thread seem to have some sort of affiliation with Dynasty? Naaah, it's just a coincidence that they each have 1 post to their name.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:20 PM

9 posts, read 16,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyguys View Post
Long story short, took my child there. they have start up fees for pics, composite pages, etc. Seems like a lot of money and you always hear you shouldn't pay for any of these types of things however, this company works with Hollister, Abercrombie, Gap, etc so they sound legit. I wanted to get some feedback before I decide to pursue or not since my child really wants to do this...

Those places are all scams. If your kid had any talent the agency would be paying you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts