Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 08:23 PM

5 posts, read 19,194 times

Advertisements

I'm a recent college grad with a degree in Elementary Education. I've been looking into moving to Maryland and have applied to a few counties. Anne Arundel recently contacted me for an interview.

I live in what I guess you would call suburban Pennsylvania (Scranton/Wilkes-Barre actually) and wanted to stay away from inner city Baltimore/DC etc. I am very unfamiliar with Maryland and was wondering if this area would sort of fit this mold (suburban). I don't know where I would be exactly within the county yet...but are there any areas I should stay away from? I also am not in the position to be picky.

Also, what sort of salary would be required to live comfortably there? I believe the starting salary is 39K/year. Would this be do-able?

ANY tips/advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 09:17 PM

415 posts, read 1,964,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissySJ276 View Post
Also, what sort of salary would be required to live comfortably there? I believe the starting salary is 39K/year. Would this be do-able?
ANY tips/advice would be greatly appreciated!
Not enough, unless you have no bills or large expenses.
The big political thing I've heard on the radio the past few days is "We need to give our first responders (me), teachers, and police more money so they can live in the communities they serve". They've been saying it since 2001 though, and they haven't done a darn thing about it.
If you have no bills, very low car payment, and a short commute (gas is horrible right now, $3.25 or so), you MAY be able to find something in the Baltimore / DC area for that salary if you're by yourself.
Maybe look at Queen Anne's County (depending on what part of AA county they want to put you in.) It's right across the Bay Bridge from AA County.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:30 PM

143 posts, read 873,169 times
I work and lived in Anne Arundel county. I lived in Severn way back when and my in-laws still live there and I work in Odenton. They just build a new mall called Arundel Mills a few years back. It has the largest movie theater - 24 screens. Even though I live a bit north now, I still come down to watch movies here. I think Odenton, Hanover, Severna Park, Millersville, Gambrills, umm....Annapolis and Crownsville, if you like the water are all in the central area and will make you feel right at home.

The area has been developing with new construction and land value went up.

I guess the salary/doable part is up to you... =)

But for a reasonable answer, if your plans were to buy a real estate, you might want to save up and plan. Actually, AA county offers up to $40K program to help first time homebuyers. And if you are teacher or cop, etc. there are extras in terms of additional assistance. Pretty good program...they gave a seminar to explain their new program back in the spring...

Old 06-21-2007, 01:35 PM

18 posts, read 99,443 times
Default You would like....

You should look into Arnold, MD. Townhomes and signle family homes, very suburban and very low crime. 5 mintues from Annapolis and in Anne Arundel County.

Old 06-23-2007, 12:07 AM

429 posts, read 1,868,223 times
Is this common or is most of the Eastern Shore off limits, rural, and not a commuter spot?

Old 06-23-2007, 08:03 PM

770 posts, read 3,686,997 times
They have a program for police officers? The cop next door program, is that what you are talking about? That offers cheaper homes in bad areas???

Old 06-24-2007, 07:41 AM

99 posts, read 506,463 times
Default did exactly what you did

I did exactly what you did last year (moving from suburban PA to MD for a teaching job right out of college). If you can find a fellow graduate to move down with you it makes affording everything much easier. The cost of living is generally higher than PA but it is doable on a teacher's salary, as long as you are cost concious. I would reccommend looking in the classifieds online for the capital. Annapolis, MD - News, Sports, Lifestyle, Naval Academy, Government from The Capital and try to find a privately owned apartment, they seem to be cheaper. The only place that has a somewhat bad rep in the county is glen burnie but even there is not that bad, just some small bad sections I think.

Old 06-24-2007, 07:08 PM

12 posts, read 36,066 times
Default Eastern Shore

The Eastern Shore has loads of commuters. A good percentage of those who live on Kent Island/Grasonville/Centreville commute across the bridge. I've known people who commute from Denton, Easto, and Cambridge across the bridge. The Shore offers the most bang for the buck, specifically just off Kent Island. We've lived in Grasonville for 3 years now in a great famil-oriented neighborhood (The Woods). We got the most bang for our buck here (our same house on Kent Island would cost $100K more). Many in our neighborhod commute across the bridge, which is less than 10 minutes away.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:25 PM

429 posts, read 1,868,223 times
Is the area suburban though or rural?

Old 06-26-2007, 10:43 AM

6 posts, read 19,351 times
I live in the Severn area in a very nice townhome community
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland