Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 11:06 AM

12 posts, read 36,017 times

Advertisements

Kent Island is mostly suburban, with rural fringes outside of the Route 50 corridor. Once off Kent Island and on the Eastern Shore, it's a predominatley rural landscape dotted with quaint small towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 10:38 PM

70 posts, read 273,676 times
Apartments- go to hotpads.com

Schools- Baltimore County-not only city- is offering 40K starting as well.

I am doing the same thing as you but I am moving from Michigan. There are no jobs here for teachers right now.

Jess

Old 12-21-2011, 02:59 PM

673 posts, read 1,187,665 times
I think you might not want to look in anne arundel. Northern anne arundel county is very urban and a bit trashy. Glen Burnie Serverna Park Pasadena Brooklyn park. Annapolis is a city in anne arundel county which is quite large for a city in a county in md. I think you should consider howard. As anne arundel is starting to loose its reputation as a desirable county. Many people from baltimore city are being moved out to this county

Old 12-21-2011, 06:10 PM

503 posts, read 807,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoreboy25 View Post
I think you might not want to look in anne arundel. Northern anne arundel county is very urban and a bit trashy. Glen Burnie Serverna Park Pasadena Brooklyn park. Annapolis is a city in anne arundel county which is quite large for a city in a county in md. I think you should consider howard. As anne arundel is starting to loose its reputation as a desirable county. Many people from baltimore city are being moved out to this county
You don't know a thing about AACO. Stick to Baltimore City.

Every one of your posts on this subject are just outlandish trolling posts that trash AACO.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:46 AM

44 posts, read 114,525 times
Severna Park trashy? I looked very hard at the eastern part of AAC and found Severna Park/Arnold to be one of the nicest areas in the county. Esp for someone making a civil service salary.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:58 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
I've lived in AA country for the past 17 years. I like Crofton, Severna Park, Arnold, parts of Odenton--especially the Piney Orchard section, and parts of Millersville. Love Davidsonville, but it's a bit too rural for me. Right now, my favorite is Crofton because of it's proximity to DC/Annapolis/Baltimore. Also, I like the Waugh Chapel center and the new Target and Wegman's that's being built. I hate the traffic, especially on Rt 3, but I think that's the case for most of this area. Personally, I'd try to stay in AA county just b/c of the commuting issues.

I'd definitely not go over the bridge to the Eastern shore. Not that I don't like the Eastern Shore b/c I do. It's just that the prices right over the bridge are not low enough to make up for that commute. Then there's the toll.

$40,000 is low for this area, but doable. It really depends on your other expenses and how many people you're supporting on that salary. If I were you, I'd do a cost analysis: look up rents in the different areas, pull up local store circulars for food costs, and go to BGE.com (the utility provider) and get an estimate for utility costs, etc.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:42 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
With the bridge, be careful when the liberal elites of Montgomery County raise the tolls again to fund their own projects. They love having rural Marylanders subsidizing them.......its not like Pennsylvania where Philadelphia is expected to pay for its own stuff and not expect residents of Harrisburg or Scranton to subsidize them.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:13 PM

274 posts, read 678,844 times
39K in my humble opinion is a recipe for struggle in Anne Arundel Co. I, too, am a teacher (and from PA!) and struggle on 57K--however, I have school loans--do you have loans to repay? And a car payment? and rent? and food? and gas? and social life? on 39K? After taxes are taken out, you'll see maybe 2K month, if that...Rentals in this area are NOT teacher friendly...especially first year teachers who are on entry level salaries. My rent is 1000 and that's cheap for Severna park/Annapolis. I have to have a roommate and I'm 35. Pathetic. OH, and by the way, Anne Arundel county public schools is on a SALARY FREEZE...meaning they might entice you to sign a contract where the steps look nice...like you'll think "oooh I'll be making in the mid-40's soon"...NOT. They've frozen salaries for at least the next 2 years straight. So whatever you'd be signing on to make now, you'll make no more next year...period. And, they'll be raising health care, so it's very possible that you[ll make LESS next year than you will this upcoming school year. This county is for the birds to teach in. I'm applying in Baltimore city. I know it's a different ballgame up there, but the pay is the best in the state....and Baltimore is more affordable than the Annapolis area. Just my 2 cents. Good luck though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland