Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2009, 11:17 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times

Advertisements

We are looking at areas in both of these counties due to job relocation. I work in Silver Spring and even though I would rather live in Montgomery County, we may have to look further out because we would like to live where my wife teaches school, although, we also are looking at places in Urbana etc.

Both areas seem to have more of a blue collar feel, but a very different blue collar feel.

Frederick County could be a rural/commuter County outside of KC. It actually reminds me a lot of Buchanan (where St Joseph is) St Joe to KC is much like Frederick is to DC. The topography and demographics of the area are similar, although Frederick might have higher percentage of white collar commuters.

Anne Arundel County (eastern portions) is something totally different. We are looking specifically at Arnold and Severna Park. The homes seem to cost more there and I don't care for how so many of the homes look run down, even though this is supposed to be an upper bracket suburban area. I think it has more to do with just being near the water.

I love the location though. Near the water, closer to Baltimore and DC or it feels closer. Transit is lacking though, especially to Silver Spring while the MARC line is perfect if you live in the 270 corridor and work in Silver Spring.

Both areas seem to have some "redneck" feel to them, which I don't care for, but can deal with. Frederick seems like it might be closer to more high quality shopping in Montgomery County and Virginia though, which again, I could deal I suppose. Not sure what all Annapolis has, but it doesn't seem to offer as much as areas on the other side of the beltway.

Schools seem to be pretty even, so long as you don't get too far away from Severna Park?

Does anybody do a daily drive from Arnold to Silver Spring?

Any other thoughts? Again, first choice would be Montgomery County. That may not work out though.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 04:57 PM

45,356 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Frederick will be cheaper than Anne Arundel in general. The commute from both to Silver Spring will be a PITA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland