Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 01:41 AM

3 posts, read 32,482 times

Advertisements

Looking for some advice ..

What are the safest cities in Maryland to relocate to ????

Old 01-13-2007, 04:48 AM

3 posts, read 34,844 times
Columbia, Whitemarsh,Whiteford,Darlington,Sparrowspoint, thats a few

Old 01-16-2007, 09:16 AM

262 posts, read 2,022,045 times
I would not recommend Sparrows Point which one previous poster mentioned.

I tend to recommend Carroll & Calvert County (along with pockets of Howard & Anne Arundel) which are quiet and have very low crime along with nice communities and decent proximity to DC & Baltimore.

Where will you be working? Did you have any areas in mind? This is a very broad question.

Old 01-28-2007, 07:12 PM

165 posts, read 926,152 times
Red face Safest Cities in Maryland ..

While I've seen some statistics that may contradict it, I've never had any first hand knowledge of a crime or violence problem in some of the cities in either of the counties pkoons recommended.

I personally have the most experience with Calvert and Carroll counties and I've enjoyed living in both of them. At my former home in Calvert County (shamless plug...currently for sale) I've had incidents where a door has been left unlocked (even open before) and I had nothing to worry about for personal belongings. From a child standpoint our neighbors were the type that looked out for their children and ours and we returned the favor.

Coming from a "close knit" background myself, we also found it was helpful to have neighbors like this when our kids did to something they weren't supposed to. We'd know by the time they got home and astonish those children by holding them accountable for their actions. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snjmom2006 View Post

Old 01-28-2007, 11:25 PM

11 posts, read 95,961 times
Howard county, Carroll County

Old 01-30-2007, 08:36 AM

97 posts, read 433,270 times
Garrett and Allegany counties are very safe areas with good schools. Frostburg is a nice college town. A new high school is opening up next fall. The biggest draw back is the job market is slow. These are the two most western counties in Maryland. They are mountainous and rural. The nice thing is you can live in the middle of nowhere and still be within a 2 to 3 hour drive to 3 major cities. Wash., Balt, and Pitts.

Old 02-06-2007, 06:59 AM

74 posts, read 470,251 times
Definately Carroll County, hands down. Westminster, Sykesville, Taneytown, Woodbine. Any of those towns are going to be very safe. Westminster will be a little higher than the others in the areas of "dumb teen crimes", but thats because its a larger town. It's still very safe, tho.

If you're ok with small towns, Id push for Sykesville or Woodbine. Woodbine doesn't even have a stop light within their limits, but people leave their cars unlocked with keys inside it, just because it's that safe. It's a small area often overlooked, but a true gem. It's not far from Westminster or Eldersburg, so there's plenty to do in a very short drive, also.

I'd say pass on Sparrows Point, too.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:35 PM

12 posts, read 104,144 times
Depends on how far you want to commute to work.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:40 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,018,889 times
I agree... some of the towns I've seen mentioned - Darlington and Whiteford - are way up in the northern/eastern part of Harford County. A commute to Baltimore would easily be a couple hours in rush hour. We live in Bel Air, my husband commutes to Arbutus daily - 90 minutes for 40 miles. Ugh.

It really depends on where you're working. Or if you're retired - what do you like? Beaches, bay, mountains, horse country... that's the great thing about Maryland, we've got everything covered.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:53 PM

58 posts, read 264,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snjmom2006 View Post

Hi,
I would not only look at safety but also quality of life, water quality, etc. A good google search of "crime statistics maryland" should give you a good many links to start with. Personally, I am thru with Harford county and glad to be moving back to the Eastern Shore!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland