Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 06:32 PM

217 posts, read 417,013 times

Advertisements

Little mexico is rolling in its glory..

Old 03-09-2009, 09:21 PM

421 posts, read 1,566,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
Just some things I want to touch upon here.

First off, gangster rap is not all hip hop. It is a subgenre. There's hip hop for kids to dance to and have fun with that is essentially harmless. Gangster rap is a more mature genre. It is a refleciton of urban blight, but it's also a microcosm of what exists in our society at large. I'm not going to get into the origins of gangster rap, but among other things as Americans, we live in a violent culture, filled to the brim with sexism, racism and classism. These components have defined our culture ever since the outset. As kids, the one thing your parents want you to stay away from is the one thing you'll head towards. I don't advocate violence, I don't advocate taking or distirbuting harmful drugs. I don't advocate sexism, or potentially harmful or unprotected sexual acts. But the people who don't like rap, generalize it all, or blame gangster rap for the wrongdoings in society are the same ones with the power in their hands to change things or make a difference in the world we live in, moreso than anyone else. But they're usually content living in fear and ignorance of "the others", and try and get as far away from "thugs" and the lower-class as possible. Which is why I don't take their excuses as legitimate reasons. It's hypocrisy. Claiming you don't like gangster rap and what it represents, but you're okay in living in a society that produced it? You don't like gangster rap, yet you're okay with watching something on television or reading a book filled with content you supposedly don't like? I don't buy it. And there's also a considerable racial & class undercurrent to it, as well. Blaming hip hop provides some an avenue to expound some people's fears and attitudes towards the minority, or the lower class. That much is obvious.

Having entertainers as your children's role models is not the way to go. These people have lives, too. They do things sometimes that get them in trouble. We don't even know who they really are behind closed doors.

Oh, and orwelleaut, I took a look at your post in the "Why Did You Move Out of Maryland" thread, and lo and behold....it's someone with a chip on their shoulder. Why am I not surprised. Though I am glad you got out of Maryland. Last thing I'd want to hear is how those low-income boogeymen and loud, uppity, obnoxious black people harming you or your family in any way.
Very judgmental, aren't we??? You've never even met me, don't even know what color my skin is, yet you are making presumptions and assumptions because my honesty on another thread offends you. My point that bigotry is always wrong, no matter what the race or ethnicity of the bigot is, has apparently been lost on you. Persons like yourself, who think that blacks acting in hatred toward other races out of pure bigotry is fine and dandy, are no better than Archie Bunker. ANY person of ANY race acting in hatred toward someone of another race is acting in bigotry.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:02 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,436,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwelleaut View Post
Very judgmental, aren't we??? You've never even met me, don't even know what color my skin is, yet you are making presumptions and assumptions because my honesty on another thread offends you. My point that bigotry is always wrong, no matter what the race or ethnicity of the bigot is, has apparently been lost on you. Persons like yourself, who think that blacks acting in hatred toward other races out of pure bigotry is fine and dandy, are no better than Archie Bunker. ANY person of ANY race acting in hatred toward someone of another race is acting in bigotry.

Nice gaslighting. I read Keyser's post again. I don't see where the poster spewed any racial bigotry. I don't even see where the poster made assumptions about your race. The comment was related to your own bigotry. And instead of addressing the claim about your bigotry, you "gaslight" to avoid a constructive response. You turn around and call the poster black (are you sure he/she is) and imply the poster and/or black people are being bigoted and that's wrong too. Okay, so it's all wrong. Now what are you doing about yours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland