Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,541 times

Advertisements

My response to the issue of race and crime is do you have drive by shootings in predominately white neighborhoods? Hello?

Old 01-27-2008, 04:03 PM

847 posts, read 3,354,788 times
Do Cumberland and some of these other rural/small town areas you're talking about have a big problem with methamphetamine? I know the rural areas here in North Carolina, especially toward the mountains, are just full of meth-heads, exploding trailers, the works. But I think North Carolina is especially bad in that regard.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:07 PM

847 posts, read 3,354,788 times
Default Car Jackings

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamBanner View Post
My response to the issue of race and crime is do you have drive by shootings in predominately white neighborhoods? Hello?
When I was living in Brooklyn, I often took my daughter to the local playground, where they had little plastic cars that the kids could play in. My daughter, who was about 2 at the time, was constantly getting "car jacked" by other kids in the playground -- generally little Brooklyn-Italian boys (dressed in wife-beaters and gold chains at all of 3-4 years old). Never car-jacked by a black kid.

Just a funny anecdote on the subject of race and crime (kind of).

Come to think of it, the only drug deal I remember witnessing there was among two white guys on the Gowanus Canal, though I think the shooting up the street was among blacks.

Last edited by vanyali; 01-27-2008 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: adding another story

Old 01-27-2008, 04:56 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,303,077 times
Yes if you watch the news the shooting in schools have been in predominately white schools.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:11 AM

7,024 posts, read 11,322,788 times
Meth isn't big in Western Maryland. In fact I can't remember an arrest for it in recent memory.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:51 PM

217 posts, read 752,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Here is Iscalder's original message

"Cumberland Maryland needs a lot of help. I drove thru there on my way to Ohio and it is horrible. It has a lot of trailer Parks and shack homes. I have never seen shack homes in Maryland. I was surprise. It looks like a totally different state. I can you call that safe living in a shack home or trailer parks."
She also added -
Now we are talking about poverty affecting whites all of a sudden it overty does not mean crime. yes it does regardless of your whites. Crimes is in Rural America plenty of it. In small towns people tend not to report crimes because they all know each other and thye donot like the police in the town business. I believe that most of the sickiest crimes happen in rural america because they know they can get away with the crimes.CumberLand pass poverty it reminds me of a third world country. How often in American do you see rows and rows of shack homes and trailer park with nothing but trash. These people property look like a dump yard..

Uninformed and ignorant racist!

Old 02-06-2008, 03:48 PM

2 posts, read 6,172 times
Default Cumberland Is Not As Nice As You May Think!!

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=5][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]The City of Cumberland and HUD Housing needs to be investigated and fined, with their employee's thrown into some form of prison, for the way they treat their the elderly and handicapped residents.

They treat you like you don't have a mind of your own. Their maintenance men on a weekly basis come to your door and pound it like they were the police. They scream at their residents to back you down as if you were an animal and they need to prove that they are the Alpha Dogs.

If you think that Cumberland is a nice place to live, think again! Their Police, Fire Departments and Local Government Agencies treat the handicapped as if they don't have a right mind to speak and think with.

I once lived in Queen City Towers run by HUD for those who were elderly and disabled. The manager who called herself a Christian, was far from her religious mouth. The only thing religious was her words, not her deeds.

I witnessed many things within the walls of Queen City Towers... I saw how the mentally handicapped were treated, each day the Maintenance Men would go to their apartment and start pounding their doors and scream to "Open up and open up now or we are coming in!" I opened my door slowly to peek at what was taking place, these men would order those with child like minds to stand outside the door while they went in, one or two would enter while one stayed at the door way screaming at them to stay, like they were dogs!!!! They would back the mentally handicapped against the wall, screaming at them like they were Marine DI's with new recruits![/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]The maintenance men treated us all like we were mentally disabled. They came to my apartment one morning after I had moved in. Then while I was asleep, they were pounding my door at 8am. Demanding entry, with a loud screaming voice![/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]I screamed back, you better not come in until I can get dressed, so while I am getting dressed, they are pounding and still yelling with demand for entry in saying... "whether you are dressed or not, we are coming in!" I went to my door and opened it and said..."What is your problem, why are you screaming and pounding my door?" Then one of the men replied in a happy voice "How ya doin man?" I said don't you "How ya doin man me!" I said "Don't you ever come to my door that way again in that tone of voice, screaming at me like I am some dog!" I said.. "Next time you come at me like this, I am calling the police!" [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]The high school drop out maintenance man replied back to me..."Go ahead and call the police, when they come, I will tell them that you are retarded and they will believe me before they believe you!, So you won't win this one pal!"

I have a Bachelors of Science degree from Florida University. I am in no way mentally handicapped! This went on all the time with Cumberland Housing Maintenance Men... When you're handicapped in a wheel chair.... Life is different, even with a College Degree! Men with so-called perfect bodies don't feel much of a threat when encountering someone from a wheel chair level. [/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]These housing people walked in on women all the time who were widows and alone, they too were continually intimidated by Cumberland's so called finest! In the Winter, when the snow would fall, they would leave us who had cars, snowed in to the point we could not get out for 5 to 6 days, needing food and other items. When we would get heavy snows, it took phone call after phone call to the down town offices for help. Then when we would have tenant meetings later in the month, we were singled out by the Top Dogs and they would then humiliate us before everyone, for our calling someone for help, we were labeled as trouble makers. Which was sad, cause they use every form of intimidation towards residents, they just wanted us to live there, and "Shut Up!"[/SIZE]
[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Things every day just seemed to continue... [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]One morning I was in bed and awoke to a tall black man standing over me, just staring at me, I screamed in fear, I did not have my glasses on, all I could see was this man peering over me, there was no reason for a maintenance man to be peering over my bed as I slept.

He then starts yelling, "It's ok, I'm cool, I'm Cool!" I said what are you doing in here? He said I come to check your plumbing," my plumbing was fine and I said you get out of here, I am not dressed and get out!" Then he replied "I will go out for 2 minutes, after two minutes I am coming in whether you are ready or not!"[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Anytime you would go to the Manager Joanie, she would listen and do nothing, she pretended she would help you, and then go behind your back against you. Also they employed a HRD Woman who was supposed to help you with your rights etc... She too was just like them; she would use her religious vocabulary to sound like she was someone with a heart. She was famous for reading personal information and then photo copying your personal data for whatever reason she used it for.

When we needed copies made for outside use, she was famous also for reading confidential papers, then when you demanded her to stop reading them, she would deny reading it.

If you are planning to enroll a friend or family member that is not so capable of handling situations of intimidation, beware, be very aware of how Cumberland Housing Treats the handicapped.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Do not leave them alone and think they are getting along well, if they are mentally or physically handicapped, then they could be living in a silent fear within the walls of Cumberland Housing around the City itself.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Many of Cumberland's handicapped are afraid to step forward, I tried to fight it, I tried to fight the system set up there and not one attorney would touch the case...Why you asked? Here is what each attorney told me...."We cannot help you with this type of case, cause we have to face many of the city officials in the court room and if we go against them, then we cannot win cases for others who have cases not as extensive as yours."[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Then after going from attorney to attorney, I was directed to contact attorneys either in Winchester, Virginia. Frederick, Hagerstown, Baltimore, Maryland or DC or Philadelphia... [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]When I explained my case to each office, they all said the same thing, except that they replied "We come to Cumberland for various cases and we too cannot rock the boat with cases we need the siding of the city upon, if we do this for you, then we jeopardize our wining cases in the future!"[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Then with the DC Attorney, I said "Then who do I get to represent me?" He suggested that I go the route with a Free Legal Attorney, Cumberland had only one Free Legal Attorney and I took my case to her, she said I had a good case, but yet 8 months went by and every time I stopped in there, to see her, she had done nothing with my case, if I called her, then all I got was her voice mail.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]I know that I am not the only one that lived there, who had to deal with some of the so-called "Cumberland's Finest". I wonder just how many are dealing with such nonsense and in-humane treatment from city people as Cumberland has working there. But if you read this and know of someone, they may need your help to get out of that city and far away from the Payton Place they have created there.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Be aware and not so quick to enroll someone into HUD Housing in Cumberland! I was one who said within, “I am not going to live like this or submit to in-humane ways they treat you mentally as with their maintenance men!”[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Everything I said would hold up under a polygraph without a problem![/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Man From Cumberland[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 02-06-2008, 03:57 PM

7,024 posts, read 11,322,788 times
Um....wow....I guess you heard it here first. This obviously doesn't discredit the city as a nice place to live, but I certainly will do some investigation if anyone I know is looking to move to Queen City Towers.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:42 PM

69 posts, read 400,872 times
Manchester, Md. in Carroll County, 21102 - you will love it here.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:49 PM

20 posts, read 50,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanyali View Post
When I was living in Brooklyn, I often took my daughter to the local playground, where they had little plastic cars that the kids could play in. My daughter, who was about 2 at the time, was constantly getting "car jacked" by other kids in the playground -- generally little Brooklyn-Italian boys (dressed in wife-beaters and gold chains at all of 3-4 years old). Never car-jacked by a black kid.

Just a funny anecdote on the subject of race and crime (kind of).

Come to think of it, the only drug deal I remember witnessing there was among two white guys on the Gowanus Canal, though I think the shooting up the street was among blacks.
Amen! LOL seriously prisions are filled wit all kinds of criminals or all ethnicities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland