Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 12:55 PM

15 posts, read 165,719 times

Advertisements

I have found a couple of nice townhomes in this area and was wondering what the community is like? It seems more of a "nicer" area than baltimore city, with a more active community. How close is the Odenton station to the area? Newlyweds and 2 dogs from atlanta ga.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2006, 01:33 PM

Default Train time to D.C.

Does anyone know how long the train ride from Odenton to D.C. Union Station is?

Old 09-26-2006, 08:48 AM

24 posts, read 96,176 times
It's 35-40 minutes IIRC. If you do a websearch for "Maryland MTA" you'll get the MTA website with all the schedules. Please note, unlike NY or Boston, the trains run only during the work week.

Old 09-26-2006, 12:52 PM

Smile Anyone familiar with Burgundy Place in Odenton, Maryland?

Can anyone tell me whether this is an enjoyable community and what it is like? How long is the train ride from Odenton to Union Station as well? Thanks in advance!

Old 09-26-2006, 12:57 PM

Default Burgundy Place

Thanks for the info. Is anyone familiar with the Burgundy Place community in Piney Orchard? How convienent is shopping, is it quiet, good for dogs?

Old 10-03-2006, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 22,136 times
Default Odenton

Not sure if you still need info or not but, My wife and I move to Odenton in July from Atlanta because I took a job with the University of MD in College Park. We got an apartment for a year since we didn't know the area all that well and didn't want to jump into buying a house in a floundering market with out having sold our place in Atlanta. Anyway, we moved into "The Groves" at Piney Orchard and enjoy it. In looking for apartments closer to DC (Silver Spring, Laurel, College Park) this was really the only place that I didn’t feel like my car was going to get stolen. We only had 3 days to look for a place so I'm sure there are nicer areas in those communities as well, but we decided on Piney Orchard in Odenton.

As far as a community goes it is very laid back. Not much of a party/night life atmosphere if that is what you are looking for. But Baltimore, DC and Annapolis are all 30 min or less away and offer tons of things to do. You asked about dog friendly? I think that we are the only ones w/o dogs sometimes. With all the trails, walking paths and rec fields there is plenty of room for you and your dog to roam.

As far as commutes go, my commute to College Park is 35-45 min during rush hour.

My wife works in downtown DC so she takes the MARC train in everyday and then transfers over to the metro to her office building. The MARC station is about 2 miles away and takes 30 min or so the get to DC depending on the train.

Hope this helps, if you have any more specific questions shoot me an email or post here.

Dave

Old 10-16-2006, 03:15 PM
PEZ

1 posts, read 22,124 times
Default Question

[font="Comic Sans MS"]Hi,
I know the thread is a bit old, but I'm curious about Odenton as well.
I'm thinking of moving out there but I'm concerned about its prox. to the marc train and airport and the noise levels as a result of that...
Also, can anyone tell me about the crime in that area? Is it a safe place to live? Recommend any restaurants?
Anything you can tell me about Odenton will be great!
Thank you

Old 10-16-2006, 04:31 PM

7 posts, read 37,526 times
Default PEZ & MARC Trains

PEZ,

As long as you don't have the railroad tracks right in your backyard, the noise won't be a factor. The majority of the trains are electric. There are no railroad crossings, so, no horn blowing, unless someone is standing too close at the Marc Station platform, or, workers are on the track. A good buffer of trees will reduce noise.

Commercial planes coming into BWI airport over Odenton are not that low going out. Coming in, they are usually a little north of Odenton. In any case, it's not like you're on the runway.

Some small craft flies into Fort Meade, but, I've never noticed anything huge & loud. Gun ranges are over on the army post, too, but not a real factor either. Hunan L` Rose for Chinese food!

Old 10-17-2006, 10:27 AM

137 posts, read 575,542 times
Default Odenton

I lived in Odenton for about 2 years from 2000 to 2002. Lot's of building going on. Mostly a bedroom community with mainly townhomes. Centrally located to commute to DC or Balt. Boring for me as a single but would be good for a young married couple because that's who's mostly there. I think Croften, the next town East, would have more to do if you were single, and also closer to Annapolis.

B

Old 10-17-2006, 01:06 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Default A lot more is going to happen there, too

Major development announced today for Odenton, MD.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/loc...home-headlines

s/Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland