Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2006, 01:33 PM

1 posts, read 7,924 times

Advertisements

Which city has a better quality of life for a new family? I am working in dc and my husband will work in either dc or baltimore.

My husband does not want to be "in the country." Is crofton under-developed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2006, 12:32 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,052,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdc View Post
Which city has a better quality of life for a new family? I am working in dc and my husband will work in either dc or baltimore.

My husband does not want to be "in the country." Is crofton under-developed?

Crofton is suburban and in Anne Arundel County. It's 13 miles from BWI airport and about 15 miles to the New Carrollton train station (subway). You can also get on AMTRAK from New Carrollton. The above the ground train station is in the next town (Bowie) adjacent to the college. We have our own police, a volunteer fire department, two supermarkets, a library and a country club/golf course which had a bus to the subway station that ran during rush hours but I'm not sure if it still does. There are large town centers (outdoor malls) in 2 different adjacent towns. We're not that far from an indoor mall in Annapolis which you can easily get to from Crofton without having to go on the highway (Rte 50). It's expensive to live here but it's not as congested (or crime ridden) as anyplace in Montgomery County. It's also not that far to Baltimore. You can't live here without a car.

Old 11-09-2006, 05:15 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,381,980 times
Odenton has a lot of service men with their families as well as Severn, Fort Meade isn't too far down the road. I lived in Odenton over 10 years ago and I found that there wasn't much shopping (actually, 1 center). You had to go to Laurel for any real shopping. I know they were building Piney Orchard and that development was suppose to have its own shopping etc. You would have to check into it. Piney Orchard is a huge development with houses, town houses, condo....etc.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:19 PM

9 posts, read 76,499 times
LauraC,

How are the schools in Crofton?

Also, what would the best and quickest commute into DC be. Any info would be helpful. Thank you.

Old 11-22-2006, 10:50 AM

262 posts, read 2,022,924 times
Crofton has good schools, most of Crofton is in the South River district but a portion attends Arundel. The Arundel district (which also includes part of Odenton) is not quite as good. The elementary and middle schools are very good.

Some options for commuting into DC, in order of my preference:

Rt 3 South to Route 214 West until it becomes East Capitol St

Rt 3 South to Route 50 West until it becomes NY Ave

Rt 3 South to Route 50 West to 495 West, from here you can select an appropriate entry point to the corresponding area of the city (i.e., New Hampshire Ave to Catholic U, River Rd to Georgetown).

Good luck!!!

Old 11-24-2006, 04:06 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,052,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy00 View Post
LauraC,

How are the schools in Crofton?

Also, what would the best and quickest commute into DC be. Any info would be helpful. Thank you.

I don't have any children so I don't know about the schools.

"Quick" and "commute into DC" are words I have never seen together.

Government? Go for a 4/10 AWS schedule.

You can get on Rt 50 from Rt 3 (heading toward Bowie) or Davidsonville Rd (424). On Rt 50, Exit 7 gets you on the Washington Beltway if you are going to drive in. Exit 6 will get you to the New Carrollton train station (right there as you exit) for the subway.

I believe there is also a bus from the Crofton Country Club parking lot to the New Carrollton train station.

If you want to commute via the above ground train, you can get the above ground MARC train in Bowie (the adjacent town to Crofton). Heading toward Bowie on Rt 3, make a right on 450, right on Race Track Road, right on 197, right into the train station parking lot. It will take you into Union Station. From there you can get on the subway. Or, you can get off in New Carrollton and get on the subway.

As for commuting to Baltimore, Rt 3 goes right into 97 North (you don't even have to exit). 97 North to either 695 (Baltimore Beltway) or 97 North to 895 (Harbor Tunnel). By the way, 97 North is also the way you go to BWI airport.

One thing - If you haven't done so already, you may want to check into the cost of auto insurance. It's not pretty.

Old 11-24-2006, 04:18 PM

149 posts, read 668,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkoons View Post
Crofton has good schools, most of Crofton is in the South River district but a portion attends Arundel. The Arundel district (which also includes part of Odenton) is not quite as good. The elementary and middle schools are very good.
Arundel is a fine school. Although, not as good as South River. There are three elementary schools that service Crofton. Crofton Elementary, Crofton Meadows Elementary, and Crofton Woods Elementary. All of which attend Crofton Middle School. After 6 - 8, it is broken up. Crofton Elem. attends Arundel High, and Woods and Meadows attend South River. However because enrollment varies at the Elementary schools, over 40% of Crofton kids actually attend Arundel. For ever before 1998, all of Crofton attended Arundel. There is also Annapolis High, which students can attend for the IB program (International Baccalaureate). Which I can vouch for is a great program. All schools in Crofton are great.

Old 11-24-2006, 04:20 PM

149 posts, read 668,608 times
As far as a commute, I ride the Metro from New Carrollton to the Federal Triangle every day, and I must say with my iPod and the Post it's a pretty quick commute.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:10 PM

11 posts, read 70,778 times
Odenton is a a 1 Crofton is a 4 so take if from there, they both kinda stink but crofton has a security force and is a little clicky but well maintaned.

Old 12-07-2006, 05:03 PM

22 posts, read 112,691 times
Crofton/Gambrills/Odenton are all fine suburban places to live. All three are centrally located and have easy access to highways, shopping, airports, and metro. I don't think that Crofton is under-developed...it is a planned golf course community that was built in the 1970's. So you do have the older houses around the parkway and meadows, but there is also plenty of newer housing developments as well. I liked growing up in Crofton and I also liked living in Gambrills as a teen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland