Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 02:47 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times

Advertisements

Somebody got "Old Bagley Mountain One Eye". That giant eight pointer was locally famous for the last couple of years. He walked and ran with his head turned to one side because he lost an eye a few years ago. He might have punctured it with a sharp stick at night. He weighed 222 pounds woods dressed. I saw the deer in a truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 08:42 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,204,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Somebody got "Old Bagley Mountain One Eye". That giant eight pointer was locally famous for the last couple of years. He walked and ran with his head turned to one side because he lost an eye a few years ago. He might have punctured it with a sharp stick at night. He weighed 222 pounds woods dressed. I saw the deer in a truck.
good size deer.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:38 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,454,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Out for three hours today, saw nothing.

This is a true story.

Last Thursday I got settled into the blind and picked up the binocs to scan the tree line when I got a text message from an old customer outside Washington, DC. "What are you doing?" I replied "sitting in a stand waiting for a buck." Later that night I got another text.

How was work? Did you make a buck? Talk to you soon.

I replied to say this must have been misaddressed. She replied, You were in a kiosk all afternoon trying to make a buck!!!

There's a big difference in thinking between a woman in a stand in Maine and a woman in an office just outside Washington, DC. I haven't explained any of this to her yet.
Washington Co. and Washington DC are apples and oranges. There isn't a snowballs chance in hell someone who's never been out of that area for any length of appreciable time would ever understand the simplicity of life you enjoy. It just isn't in their thinking. Seeing a raccoon in the backyard is about too country for them!

When I lived there and was asked where I was from, they'd get a glazed look in their eyes when I said Cape Cod. I might as well have said the moon!!! The Cape was the BOONIES as far as they were concerned and I was the perverbial hick!!! Whatevahhhh!!!

Old 11-12-2009, 03:46 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,549,405 times
Cape Cod being the boonies - can you imagine? This woman is very nice but I know she has to bite her tongue to keep from making "killing Bambi" comments.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:30 AM

She was under the apple tree during the night. She either came back or another doe came in later.

And then he came in. He came in from the south and the cam is pointed west. There aren't any pics of his head but look at his neck. The cam is about 60' from the house.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:35 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,467,464 times
He looks massive by the size of his neck!

Old 11-12-2009, 04:42 AM

I know. When I flipped through the pics and got to that one I had palpitations. I'm kicking myself for not looking out to see if there was frost when I got up. I saw his tracks in the frost when I walked out.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:53 AM

2,059 posts, read 4,204,922 times
awsome.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:01 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,677,393 times
That's quite a deer!
My brother got a shot at a small buck yesterday but evidently missed it as we could not find any evidence it was hit except for a little hair. Another long shot with buckshot!. The trees are taking a beating but the deer seem safe enough!

Old 11-12-2009, 10:50 AM

I am weak and undisciplined. I have work to do before winter arrives. A lot of work. But was I working this morning? Well...yes...but very little. I can't stand it. He's out there and now I've seen a picture of him. I've seen his tracks. I took my orange and my rifle to the greenhouse with me 'just in case'. And the lure. Just in case. I did do a little bit of work but the weeds and the six bushels of lettuce that need to be cut will be there tomorrow. I put my vest and hat on, loaded my gun and went for a walk. I refreshed the scent tag at the back of the field, checked out the apple situation (still a lot on some of the trees) and followed one of the trails Steve re-opened with the bush hog. Deer are running that trail like it's a highway. It leads to a rock wall we haven't moved to get through yet and into a dense raspberry patch. The trail through the raspberries is so well used it's wide opened. I walked through that to the end of a road on my land. And there it was - a fresh scrape. It was like a present from Santa on Christmas morning.

I kept going til I got close to the road, unloaded, crossed and went back into the woods, reloaded and moved on. Through the woods, unloaded when I got close to the pavement and walked up the road before going down another road. Toward the stream, watched a pileated woodpecker, followed doe tracks, found three well-used crossings and then lost everything and came home.

Phew. I feel better now. Steve says I have deer fever. He might be right. I'm done for the day because I have to do something with DD. I'm meeting Steve tomorrow afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine