Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 03:53 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times

Advertisements

I thought I'd start a new thread to update deer season as the "hunting season is almost here" thread is getting long in the tooth.(since it's already here!)
I hunted all day today and saw nothing! My buddy kicked one out but it ran the other direction from where I was walking so I didn't see it. We found a beautiful spot filled with rubs, pawings and tons of tracks. We went to lunch and when we came back to hunt that spot for the afternoon there were two cars parked right where we had been! Bummer. Oh well... We tried a few other spots and took a stand at dusk behind my house. We'll keep trying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 04:33 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
I'm leaving around 1 pm to be in the stand by 2:30 tomorrow.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:31 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,167,614 times
DH reports one fresh scraping, no deer sighted this afternoon. The scraping is near the stand 'tho, so here's hoping.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:42 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,046 times
We located our stand in a different spot overlooking the heath this season since the water level has dropped since the destruction of an offending beaver dam. Sat for two hours Sat. morn and a couple hours mid-morning today. didn't see nothing. Lots of tracks from the previous night's moon play.
Pretty icy wind to boot...froze my ^&(&*off up there in the breeze!

Old 11-03-2009, 04:03 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,933,824 times
I'm so excited! I'm getting my first deer license in more than thirty years in Maine. Yesterday, I got my old 30-30 Winchester...the one my great grandfather used to hunt squirrels and 'possum for the stock pot around the old logging camp...and polish her up. I took a while to get 'er all cleaned up and shining. I jacked open the breech and looked down the muzzel, and think there is still enough room for the bullet to go through past the rust when I see that deer! I am sooo excited!

The reason I'm so excited is because of the new area that fish and wildlife has set aside for new hunters way up in the north western corner of Maine. You can hunt up there without fear that you will **** off the tree huggers or the deer lovers.

My wife showed me the newspaper article all about the place. It doesn't cost anything more than $10 for the license and you can hunt there all you want during the season.

The hunting ground is called "Fair Game Preserve", and fish and wildlife have been developing it for about five years. It's absolutely LOADED with dear, and you are guaranteed that you will see and hear more deer there than anywhere else in Maine.

The article said that every deer is certified and carries at least an M-16. I would just love to get me one of them...those big M16 antlers would look real good over my fireplace.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:00 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
I'm so excited! I'm getting my first deer license in more than thirty years in Maine. Yesterday, I got my old 30-30 Winchester...the one my great grandfather used to hunt squirrels and 'possum for the stock pot around the old logging camp...and polish her up. I took a while to get 'er all cleaned up and shining. I jacked open the breech and looked down the muzzel, and think there is still enough room for the bullet to go through past the rust when I see that deer! I am sooo excited!

The reason I'm so excited is because of the new area that fish and wildlife has set aside for new hunters way up in the north western corner of Maine. You can hunt up there without fear that you will **** off the tree huggers or the deer lovers.

My wife showed me the newspaper article all about the place. It doesn't cost anything more than $10 for the license and you can hunt there all you want during the season.

The hunting ground is called "Fair Game Preserve", and fish and wildlife have been developing it for about five years. It's absolutely LOADED with dear, and you are guaranteed that you will see and hear more deer there than anywhere else in Maine.

The article said that every deer is certified and carries at least an M-16. I would just love to get me one of them...those big M16 antlers would look real good over my fireplace.
Your grandfather hunted squirrels and 'possums with a 30-30? Holy %^*&! He was serious! Good Luck.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:12 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,517,746 times
I'm not a hunter, but as a farmer the deer and I seem to co-mingle on many things. I have had a few deer knock down some fencing, but for the most part there do not seem to be as many of them as in years past. Since I am out everyday in the fields and the woods, my sightings of deer should be higher then what they are. I know they are here, but I think the numbers are way down. I can't attribute it to the coyotes though, we pulled 71 coyotes off this farm last year, 40 by trapping and 31 by hunting. That should have put a deep dent in the coyote population here.

As I said, I am not a hunter but certainly am not opposed to it either...good luck to everyone.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:19 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,167,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post

*Sniff..." What's this upon the wind? hmmmm...I smell sarcasm...

Old 11-03-2009, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Your grandfather hunted squirrels and 'possums with a 30-30? Holy %^*&! He was serious! Good Luck.
Naaaa! When he got serious he took the 38-55.

But squirrels and 'possum were bigger then. Global warming has sapped their vital fluids resulting in smaller squirrels and 'possum.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
*Sniff..." What's this upon the wind? hmmmm...I smell sarcasm...
I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the smell of sarcasm in the morning..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine