Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 01:08 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,560,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
Yes. I have been all the the way to the upstate region, too. I don't know Maine's demographics very well, however.
You should do some research rather than continue to make inaccurate assumptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 01:24 PM

703 posts, read 871,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
You should do some research rather than continue to make inaccurate assumptions.
I do not believe I made any inaccurate assumptions. I believe that I was not giving you the answer you were expecting when you asked me if I've ever been to Maine, and then you used this post to have your way with the statement. I have done a bit of research with Maine, however, and if you believe that I am inaccurate, then post it instead of generating such accusations without clear, valid postulates.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:30 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,916,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beltrams View Post
I sometimes see a very nice truck and/or large, newish, travel trailer parked in yards of homes in northern Maine that many might consider somewhat run down, but those are the choices some people make. It wouldn't necessarily be my choice to put $20K into a travel trailer versus fixing up a house, but their life is not my life, so what do I know about their situation? Not much.

I think you're right: I see that too (vehicles worth more than the homes they are parked outside). It's hard for me to fathom, but hey, that's just me.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I think you're right: I see that too (vehicles worth more than the homes they are parked outside). It's hard for me to fathom, but hey, that's just me.
Yeah, given the option between a Lamborghini and trailer, or a normal car and nice house, I would go with option #2, but not everybody thinks the same way. I guess that's why we live in the United States..

Old 06-18-2014, 07:01 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,501,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Given the current frenzy for sub-prime auto loans (if you have a pulse...) and the difficulty in getting home loans for sub-standard property, it's no wonder you see the pricey vehicles parked at the uh, less than impressive real estate. It's all borrowed money; you just borrow on whatever it is they're loaning for at the moment.

People have yet to learn that saving money and staying out of debt is the only way to prosper. No wonder Mainers are so "poor". They should enjoy the real wealth around them for free...but no, they want to live like kings. Good grief!

Old 06-18-2014, 07:24 AM

37,500 posts, read 61,484,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
... People have yet to learn that saving money and staying out of debt is the only way to prosper. No wonder Mainers are so "poor". They should enjoy the real wealth around them for free...but no, they want to live like kings. Good grief!
That is not limited to Maine, it is everywhere.

There are many examples of this.

When I was a child, I over-heard conversations about my uncles / aunts, who lived beyond their means and carried debt to do it.

During my Active Duty career, I felt surrounded by sailors who spent every dime they had while carrying massive debt loads.

I have a friend from highschool that I recently re-connected with, she lives near DC. Both her and her husband punch time cards to work in cubicles in DC. They each earn between $125K and $150K, and combined household income in the upper $200k range. Most of their income goes to their mortgage [which is currently upside down], they both drive new 'status' commuter cars, and they have a selection of toys [motorcycles, boat, etc]. Their Net Worth is negative. No savings, no portfolio, no investments.

I attended a Cooperative Extension meeting recently where a staff member was presenting her accomplishments for the past year. She had put together an online class, title: "So you want to be a farmer; how to get started in farming". She was very proud of it, and of how many people had signed up, and how many had gone through all 9 sessions. Her class was taken largely from the Small Business Admin, and explained how every business needs to start with debt. This 'expert' is telling everyone who will listen, that before you can sell veggies in a Farmer's Market, you must first have $100k in debt.

It is everywhere, not just Maine.

A large portion of our culture wants to roll in money, thinking they will have a long time to pay back the loan.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:15 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,206,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
I do not believe I made any inaccurate assumptions. I believe that I was not giving you the answer you were expecting when you asked me if I've ever been to Maine, and then you used this post to have your way with the statement. I have done a bit of research with Maine, however, and if you believe that I am inaccurate, then post it instead of generating such accusations without clear, valid postulates.
My first knee jerk reaction was that you made many inaccurate assumptions. There's a lot of people north of Portland all the way to Caswell that have been making ends meet and making serious cash for decades. Some smell like manure, some smell like pitch. Some got some pretty fancy wheels, because its deductible. Except you wouldn't know it if you were sitting next to them in a diner. Then you said "it's just going to get repossessed," you stepped way beyond any possible redemption. It ain't. You are totally inaccurate.

Old 06-18-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
My first knee jerk reaction was that you made many inaccurate assumptions. There's a lot of people north of Portland all the way to Caswell that have been making ends meet and making serious cash for decades. Some smell like manure, some smell like pitch. Some got some pretty fancy wheels, because its deductible. Except you wouldn't know it if you were sitting next to them in a diner. Then you said "it's just going to get repossessed," you stepped way beyond any possible redemption. It ain't. You are totally inaccurate.
No, that's not being inaccurate. Many individuals across the country purchase vehicle they can't pay back, and it's repossessed, so it's not a very inaccurate assumption to assume to that it also applies to someone who also lives in Maine. Notice you also mentioned Portland, which isn't an extremely rural part of Maine.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:10 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,709,803 times
Mainers go off to seek their fortunes and come home at age 55 or 60. They bring valuable skills and experience home with them. They pay cash for homes when they get here. That is mostly good, but there are a couple of problems in that scenario:

1. They would have stayed here those 30 years if there had been stable and rewarding jobs here.

2. Their kids grew up somewhere else. Oh, they have a nice feeling about Maine and their trips north to see their grandparents. My grandson has a hat that says "Northern Maine Land Kid" on it. That's his camp hat and it stays at camp. Our camp is his favorite place in the whole world.

One legendary Mainer who left to seek his fortune left with a baked potato in each pocket of his jacket. He figured if he ate one potato each day he could get far enough from Maine to get a job. He got a job on Day 3. About 30 years later he came home to Maine and retired. When he died he left a million dollars to his church, a million to the town and a million to his school.

I encourage Mainers to come home whether they have been gone 30 years or three years. The day of the 9 to 5 job with full benefits is pretty much over in our country. Come home and make your own job. I work every day. I'm self employed. I'll work as long as I'm able.

Maine is the safest state. What crime we do have is declining. Come home to Maine whether you were born here or not. If you want to work, we need you.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Mainers go off to seek their fortunes and come home at age 55 or 60. They bring valuable skills and experience home with them. They pay cash for homes when they get here. That is mostly good, but there are a couple of problems in that scenario:

1. They would have stayed here those 30 years if there had been stable and rewarding jobs here.

2. Their kids grew up somewhere else. Oh, they have a nice feeling about Maine and their trips north to see their grandparents. My grandson has a hat that says "Northern Maine Land Kid" on it. That's his camp hat and it stays at camp. Our camp is his favorite place in the whole world.

One legendary Mainer who left to seek his fortune left with a baked potato in each pocket of his jacket. He figured if he ate one potato each day he could get far enough from Maine to get a job. He got a job on Day 3. About 30 years later he came home to Maine and retired. When he died he left a million dollars to his church, a million to the town and a million to his school.

I encourage Mainers to come home whether they have been gone 30 years or three years. The day of the 9 to 5 job with full benefits is pretty much over in our country. Come home and make your own job. I work every day. I'm self employed. I'll work as long as I'm able.

Maine is the safest state. What crime we do have is declining. Come home to Maine whether you were born here or not. If you want to work, we need you.
True; many individuals will retire in Maine, which would explain more valuable assets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine