Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 09:31 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,202,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Que?
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 02:35 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
Yup. New Zealand and Maine.
Not Northern Maine. Ocean fishing is more located over near the ocean, along the coast.

The primary seafood caught in Maine is lobster followed by herring.

According to the Department of Marine Resources website, the top ten ports for commercial fishing in 2013 were: Stonington, Portland, Vinalhaven, Beals, Rockland, Friendship, Spruce Head, Jonesport, Port Clyde, and Bass Harbor.

Maine Commercial Marine Fisheries

Old 06-20-2014, 08:14 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
More than half of Maine's population lives within 50 miles of Portland and half of that is water! People who live there think when you get to that 50 mile point, everything north of it is Northern Maine, hence their perception that much of Maine's fishing industry is in that area.

People from away ask what Maine is like. That is like asking what Burlngton, Vermont and Point Judith, Rhode Island are like. They are in two of the other five New England states. Maine is bigger than those five states put together.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:52 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,381,561 times
Where is "Upstate Maine" and, where does it begin,... Portland?

Anyone living in a rural area depends on their vehicle for many things. When we moved here from the big city of Milo, we found that our Plymouth Breeze just wasn't suited for the trips into town particularly in the wintah. Having a larger vehicle with 4 wheel drive was necessary for us although, others can do just fine with smaller vehicles. It's difficult without a dependable vehicle so, while someone may not live in a palace, the do need to have transportation they can rely on.
Good Day to You.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Where is "Upstate Maine" and, where does it begin,... Portland?

On another forum, there is a regular poster who is a realtor. His marketing is all about 'Northern Maine'. I have questioned him a few times about his branding, but he gets a lot of customers. Properties that he handles are exclusively within a 40 mile distance from the NH border.

It seems that among his clientele [wow, hard to believe the spell check says I got that word correct the first time], his clientele [did it again] view one pace over the border into Maine, as being 'Northern Maine'.

Quote:
... Anyone living in a rural area depends on their vehicle for many things. When we moved here from the big city of Milo, we found that our Plymouth Breeze just wasn't suited for the trips into town particularly in the wintah. Having a larger vehicle with 4 wheel drive was necessary for us although, others can do just fine with smaller vehicles. It's difficult without a dependable vehicle so, while someone may not live in a palace, the do need to have transportation they can rely on.
Good Day to You.
That is a very good point. Dependable transportation is a big concern, double so in wintah.

Good day to you

Last edited by Submariner; 06-21-2014 at 10:55 AM..

Old 06-21-2014, 11:10 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
According to: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Maine ranks at #35 in terms of Total Welfare recipients. Behind these states: California, New York, Texas, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Ohio, Tennessee, Washington, Indiana, Georgia, Florida, Arizona, Missouri, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Illinois, Minnesota, North Carolina, Kentucky, Virginia, Maryland, Louisiana, Iowa, South Carolina, Wisconsin, Mississippi, Alabama, Oregon, Connecticut, District of Columbia, New Mexico, West Virginia, and Kansas.
And that makes sense. In general, the greater the population (i.e., California, New York, Texas), the greater the number of welfare recipients. Maine, not being an especially populous state, would not have nearly the number of welfare recipients that other, more populous states have.

The numbers from your link are from 2003. It would be interesting to compare the overall population of each state versus the overall number of welfare recipients in each state.

Last edited by Yac; 06-26-2014 at 06:08 AM..

Old 06-22-2014, 06:57 AM

337 posts, read 429,763 times
GreenGene you make a good point that can be expanded to explain a number of other "facts" about Maine as well. Keeping in mind that CT has over 3million residents compared to Maine with barely a million but the land mass in Maine is huge in comparison. So, percentages of anything can be skewed on subjects such as taxes or welfare or medicaid, etc.

A "poor state"? People forget or don't know that Maine does has a good industrial base that's overlooked for the seafood industry. Even UTC (Pratt&Whitney) has a gigantic plant in S. Berwick that employees a lot of highly skilled workers and there are other businesses and industries there not the least of which is Jackson Labs up near Acadia and many others scattered throughout.

I've spent copious amounts of time in Maine doing all sorts of activites over many decades and slowly fell in love. That's the reason we're planning on moving up. That experience has given me a unique perspective on Mainers in general.

It appears to me that the quality of life is what most Mainers are pursuing as opposed to the quantity of life.

Getting up and smelling the roses seems to be what most Mainers enjoying doing every day. They work and toil, have mortgages and raise kids just like the rest of us but living in Maine does give you a different perspective as to what's really important in life. Maybe, then, chasing the almighty dollar isn't #1 on everyone's list. And it's not being listless or lazy, either. Most Mainers I know are incredibly industrious and hard workers whether it be in a service industry/tourism or producing furniture. It's just that the hard work tends to be work that might not command a six digit annual salary tending, instead, to be more workmen like and pursuing a particular skill or calling. There's a pace to life up in Maine that is quite slow compared to those "from away". I find that pace extremely attractive and we can't wait to immerse ourselves into living that life, enjoying the small things as well as the big things as equal assets.

So, the other 49 states can gauge Maine any way they wish but it's my humble opinion that Maine is hard to pigeon-hole as it really doesn't comport to many other states in so many categories. A "poor state"? I think not. More like a "state of mind over matter".

Rome

Old 06-22-2014, 11:41 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,167,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Northern Upstate Maine has an ocean...and possibly unicorns.
And Yeti. For the love of Pete, you cannot forget the Yeti.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:31 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffler View Post
So, the other 49 states can gauge Maine any way they wish but it's my humble opinion that Maine is hard to pigeon-hole as it really doesn't comport to many other states in so many categories. A "poor state"? I think not. More like a "state of mind over matter".

Rome
We live where others come to vacation. Millions of people spend a lot of money to earn a lot of money so they can come to Maine for a week or two. We live here. We have it all right here around us. We don't need a lot of stuff or McMansions but a lot of of Mainers who have it don't look the part. Life is as rich as we choose to make it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Riiiiiight! I did forget.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
I do like Pete, and I would never want to forget Mr. Yeti.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine