Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 08:39 PM

169 posts, read 551,048 times

Advertisements

hi everyone........

i hope you can help me remember the name of something that was put under the covers towards the foot of the bed in the winter to keep my feet warm.

it was a piece of granite i think (or possibly soapstone or marble) about the size of a laptop computer and about 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick. i remember that the edges were eased a bit and it had a steel handle mounted into drilled holes along opposing edges near one end.

it was placed on the wood cookstove after supper and it got plenty hot. my mom or dad would lay out quite a few used sheets of old newspaper on the floor or table and then get a potholder or two and grab the handle and place the stone on the papers. ( i would say the papers were about 1/4" thick when compressed)

then it was wrapped like a christmas present and i could lug it up to my bed and put it under the covers down towards where my feet would be. my nose and face would be freezing but my feet were warm as toast and i could fall asleep.

i remember my parents calling it a "freestone" but i googled that and struck out. do any of you have any rememberances of such a thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 09:51 PM

96 posts, read 201,662 times
People used these rocks for centuries, and they have so many names. At this link, you can see the definition for 'lap stone' or 'lap rock', which is similar to your stone:
Dictionary of Newfoundland English ... - Google Book Search
People used bricks as well, because they hold in the heat best - if the stone has any moisture content it can explode. Wrap the brick in a towel after heating it, and you'll be set! I think that paving stones could be used, as they are round and would cover more area at the bottom of the bed. I remember reading about folks using metal pans in England as bed warmers...here is a great thread with info:
Things that could substitute for old fashioned bed warmers...

Old 12-13-2008, 06:40 AM

973 posts, read 2,385,191 times
It was soapstone. Probably had a wire bale on it and it would be placed on the top of a cook stove to heat up, then placed in the bed. In later days, those were replaced by hot water bottles. I can still see the one my grandmother used.

The soapstones were also used by folks riding in a sleigh or carriage pulled by a horse. Kept the riders feet warm by rapping it in a blanket an placing it by the riders feet.

Old 12-13-2008, 06:53 AM

48,187 posts, read 22,030,335 times
Grammy used a soap stone to warm feet and she had the old long handled brass bed warmer that held fireplace embers to pass over the ice cold sheets and take the chill off. (I don't know that she used it). She also had the little metal box to carry coals to church to warm the family box....but she no longer used that as the chrch got central heating somewhere along the line.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:09 AM

169 posts, read 551,048 times
thanks everyone for your responses. i guess these things have mostly become a thing of the past since thermostats were invented and the old parlor stove and cookstove were put on the dump.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:57 AM

163 posts, read 295,710 times
As a child the old hot water bottle got alot of use in our house. With six of us, earaches were one thing it got filled up for, and I still can vividly recall the "smell". Grandparents house had a brass bedwarmer hanging on a hook near the fireplace. Don't recall it ever being used. It was finely made with a well tooled hinged lid and a two foot long elaborate wooden handle.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:00 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,690,392 times
They have these neat things now called electric blankets!

Old 12-13-2008, 09:09 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,471,845 times
My mom explained the bed warmers to me when I was little. They used bricks on the dairy farm where she grew up in Winslow. I remember her also explaining about them being used in the sleighs and carriages too.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:26 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,690,392 times
We tried bricks too but it was very uncomfortable sleeping on a bunch of bricks all night!

Old 12-13-2008, 09:37 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,471,845 times
Honey....

Never mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine