Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 11:16 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,677,393 times

Advertisements

Grammy used to pee in a pot beside the bed too! Some nostalgic things are NASTY! I'm glad I don't have to put hot rocks in my truck before I drive it or fill the bed with hot bricks before I go to bed! No wonder these people never lived beyond their 50's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 11:34 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Grammy used to pee in a pot beside the bed too! Some nostalgic things are NASTY! I'm glad I don't have to put hot rocks in my truck before I drive it or fill the bed with hot bricks before I go to bed! No wonder these people never lived beyond their 50's.
Urine is high in Uric acid, a cousin of Ammonia, and was used to wash clothing too.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:46 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,454,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Urine is high in Uric acid, a cousin of Ammonia, and was used to wash clothing too.

And now we know why they 'really' hung their clothes outside to dry!!!

Old 12-13-2008, 12:17 PM

I would not suggest using low-percentage ammonia as a laundry soap on this forum.

Such would only be a real consideration among historical reenactors, or tinfoil hat wearers [I would never admit to being either of those, not on this forum].

Old 12-13-2008, 12:22 PM

My mom was from a farm family and they too used stones wrapped in old bedsheets to warm their beds at night. There was NO indoor baseboard heating in those days.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I would not suggest using low-percentage ammonia as a laundry soap on this forum.

Such would only be a real consideration among historical reenactors, or tinfoil hat wearers [I would never admit to being either of those, not on this forum].

Actually what I do use a lot of Forest is a cup of white vinegar in my wash loads. Especially dirt soiled. It lifts the dirt out of the fibers naturally instead of those new fangled expensive cleaners. It also rinses out the build up of soap from the fibers.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Actually what I do use a lot of Forest is a cup of white vinegar in my wash loads. Especially dirt soiled. It lifts the dirt out of the fibers naturally instead of those new fangled expensive cleaners. It also rinses out the build up of soap from the fibers.
Better living through modern chemistry.

Old 12-13-2008, 02:00 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
The church box warmers reminded me of something my old church had in the foyer where you enter the building. I explained it this way to a few young people.

"Those oval depressions on that narrow shelf are not ash trays. They are for the butt stocks of the rifles our parishioners carry to church and those pegs above them are not for hanging coats. They are for the rifles to lean against. Probably no parishioners will carry rifles to church today, but the racks are there for the time when it may be necessary again."

The bell in that church was cast by Paul Revere. It still rings every Sunday.

Old 12-13-2008, 04:47 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,467,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I know I've told you all before but growing up spending summers in the lighthouse we never had running water or electricity. We always used the chamber pots! I wasn't getting out of my finally warm bed and running down the stairs, out the door, up the walkway to the outhouse in the middle of the night. No way.
First, you'd always jump a sleeping deer which would pretty much ensure a case of having to more than just pee!
Second, my dead grandmother used to rock in her rocking chair in the living room almost every night.
Nu-uh - no way, I'm using the chamber pot.
The rule in our house was if you had used it, you had better be up before everyone else in the house, heated up warm water on the gas stove and washed, rinsed and replaced the chamber pot under your bed before anybody else got up in the morning.
I think we would all lay in our beds listening to hear if someone else had already taken care of theirs before tip toeing out of the house in the morning.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:13 PM

227 posts, read 415,522 times
Great posts Northern Maine Land Maine and Island Mermaid (love that name, by the way, very fitting). Both posts sound like excerpts from books that would make for interesting reading!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine