Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 10:16 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,454,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconiator View Post
Volvo line? Never heard that term before... can anyone tell me the history of it?
Here's a link with a thread on it... plenty of homework to edumacate yerself!

https://www.city-data.com/forum/maine...olvo-line.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 03:51 AM

504 posts, read 902,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
na he has a new job making licence pletes.
I wonder if O' J. will train him

Old 12-10-2008, 06:44 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,467,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconiator View Post
Volvo line? Never heard that term before... can anyone tell me the history of it?
It's an imaginary line that only a few of those living up north like to pretend it exists. However, if they would only realize it only brings out and exudes their acute awareness of social and economic differences. Those who are too class conscious!
Maine is ONE state. We are ALL Mainers.
DON'T GET ME GOING THIS MORNING ON THIS BS!

IMO- if you weren't born there and can't trace your roots back there at least 5 generations you shouldn't even be involved in the conversation to begin with. Imaginary or not. It's total ignorance.

There, now you've gone and done it!

Old 12-10-2008, 06:47 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,677,393 times
Proud to be a South Mainer.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
It's an imaginary line that only a few of those living up north like to pretend it exists. However, if they would only realize it only brings out and exudes their acute awareness of social and economic differences. Those who are too class conscious!

IMO- if you weren't born there and can't trace your roots back there at least 5 generations you shouldn't even be involved in the conversation to begin with. Imaginary or not. It's total ignorance.

It would be more aptly named the ATV line. Everyone above it owns at least one ATV. Below it ?? They frown on ATV's.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:33 AM

740 posts, read 1,883,027 times
I go back more than 5 generations so this is what I know about the situation. The two Maines exist wether its in peoples heads or not and this attitude seems to go back quite some time. I remember when I was a kid hearing the old timers talk about the two Maines. I also remember hearing my Grandfather say south of Augusta was Dixie. This is from a man that as far as I know never went south of Houlton. There are a lot of social economical issues that drive this issue that have been being discussed for as long as I can remember and with this economy they are only getting worse. Just go in to a local hang out for breakfeast up north somewhere and you will probably hear this discussion pop up sooner or later.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:43 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,017,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post

Hear, hear.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:47 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,502,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
What's happening in Maine regarding the environmentalists is a microcosm of what has happened, and continues to happen, all over the country. These people have an agenda. They are trying to squash business and urban sprawl. Business needs land, transportation, commodities, capital, and an employee/customer base. Business needs freedom to grow. By hampering business interests, the environmentalists are hampering our nation's economy. The urban sprawl part is nothing but hubris and snobbery. They are saying, in effect, we know better than you do, how to manage this land, which is so 'precious'; go back to the city where you belong.

I think Maine's climate has protected it naturally from a lot of sprawl, although there has definitely been some. Radical environmentalism is largely a product of idle affluence. In that sense, this economic downturn may turn out to be a good thing.
And business isn't pushing their own agenda? Is allowing business to rule the roost is the inherently moral way of doing things? Will allowing business carte blanc make this country a better place?

As much as I don't want to live in a country govered by radical environmentalism, I really don't want to live in a country ruled by business either. There are many many examples of where unregulated business has caused great harm to this country (like the current mortgage/financial crisis for example).

Old 12-10-2008, 07:53 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,502,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc-not View Post
Now go to Walmart and look at the cross section of modern Americans. You'll most likely find several under the age of forty in the handicapped scooters. Then look what's in their basket. What's worse is how our collective minds have become soft. Can you say "government schools"?

I've believed for quite sometime that we, as a nation, are coming to our demise from within. The recent events on Wall St./ D.C. are confirmation of how quickly this is escalating.
Is Walmart really representative of modern America?

I also find it ironic that earlier somebody was railing about radical environmentalism squashing business growth and now you are talking about how Walmart (which is the epitome of "big business") has made our country "soft" and its causing our demise "from within". So which is it...is big business good for our country or isn't it?

I'm confused...

Old 12-10-2008, 07:54 AM

It doesn't bother me that there is a perception of two Maines. Even the State recognizes there are two Maines. I can certainly sympathize with the frustrations of the more rural areas of the State when their government, bonds and other mandates are forced upon them by the populated southern part of the state. I'd resent the citified south too!
Southern Mainers were resentful of the North part of the State when the government in it's wisdom divided the state in two with the introduction of reformulated gas in the south and not in the north. They also built several emissions inspection stations in Southern Maine while exempting Northern Maine still again. Southern Maine voters told Augusta that if they were not going to include Northern Maine in the emission standards, Southern Maine wasn't going to play either! They tore down the inspection stations. If the state treats us as seperate the people need only observe. There are two Maines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine