Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 06:50 PM

740 posts, read 1,884,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
my wife has a volvo and she takes it up to our camp in the county all the time.but im a long ways from being what some may call a yuppie.im a hi-tec red neck.but i prefur hick.
Hey Ranger I am in the same boat.
I consider myself a redneck or whatever you want to call it. My wife has a Jaguar, and it goes back to the old joke Its fun to ride until your friends see you. Almost all of my friends and family are also rednecks and I am sure I know what they think when they see her car. It has always been her dream car and up until recently they have been owned by Ford, so I guess you could consider it a Ford in disguise. Ford is all I will personally own and drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 08:50 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,207,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankratt View Post
Company rig huh? standard cab or sleeper?
nope its an s40 its a nice car.im a kenworth man my self

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxtrader View Post
Hey Ranger I am in the same boat.
I consider myself a redneck or whatever you want to call it. My wife has a Jaguar, and it goes back to the old joke Its fun to ride until your friends see you. Almost all of my friends and family are also rednecks and I am sure I know what they think when they see her car. It has always been her dream car and up until recently they have been owned by Ford, so I guess you could consider it a Ford in disguise. Ford is all I will personally own and drive.
i dont care what people think its a nice car and the price was allmost the same as the high end modles that the big three puts out and the warenty was better.the car is just built better.but most people look at it and ssy you must have alot of money to buy some thing like that.so for the same price as a ford,gm,dodge i got a better built car.my ford truck was 10,000 more than the car and they dont look at me the same way when im driveing it.becouse it says FORD.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:10 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,690,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
nope its an s40 its a nice car.im a kenworth man my self

i dont care what people think its a nice car and the price was allmost the same as the high end modles that the big three puts out and the warenty was better.the car is just built better.but most people look at it and ssy you must have alot of money to buy some thing like that.so for the same price as a ford,gm,dodge i got a better built car.my ford truck was 10,000 more than the car and they dont look at me the same way when im driveing it.becouse it says FORD.
We feel the same way about Saabs. We get the "you're a yuppie" thing but we have owned a Saab since we were married 25 years ago. Saabs put all of the accessories anyone could want in the base car. They don't sucker you in with a base model price then make you crazy trying to pick out options like a back seat and a steering wheel. Sure they have some options available but they include nice stereos, heated cloth seats, window de-foggers, turbo charged engines etc. etc. They will easily go 200,000 without any problem if properly maintained, have high resale values, low insurance costs, high trade in value, excellent rust proofing, excellent warrantees, and are a great value for the money. US made cars cannot touch them for value, performance and build quality. Even the plastic they use is better than anything Ford,GM or Chrysler uses.....and they're partially owned by GM....go figure!

Old 12-11-2008, 09:43 PM

37,498 posts, read 61,484,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
...and there is gotta be somebody driving a volvo above the line!

...there just might be...gasp....democrats above that line as well!
Watch yourself, that is near blasphemy

Old 12-11-2008, 09:56 PM

37,498 posts, read 61,484,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
We feel the same way about Saabs. We get the "you're a yuppie" thing but we have owned a Saab since we were married 25 years ago. Saabs put all of the accessories anyone could want in the base car. They don't sucker you in with a base model price then make you crazy trying to pick out options like a back seat and a steering wheel. Sure they have some options available but they include nice stereos, heated cloth seats, window de-foggers, turbo charged engines etc. etc. They will easily go 200,000 without any problem if properly maintained, have high resale values, low insurance costs, high trade in value, excellent rust proofing, excellent warrantees, and are a great value for the money. US made cars cannot touch them for value, performance and build quality. Even the plastic they use is better than anything Ford,GM or Chrysler uses.....and they're partially owned by GM....go figure!
A saab is a nice car, with a lot of nice features.

But you fail to mention one thing.

When a 10 year old saab's heater stops working, they tell you that all of the controls and links for the car's heater are inside the ductwork. To diagnose the heater, they must pull the dashboard. They are not sure if they will be able to get the dashboard to fit tight ever again. and the shop fee to pull the ductwork to diagnose the heater, is equal to totalling the car.

Anything that they replace or fix, after that [like the heater] would be far beyond the value of the car.

So a perfectly functioning 10-year old saab is totaled when the heater dies.

Does anyone want to guess how I know this?

I have been to the saab dealership, and to the best local mechanic's shop. The local mechanic refuses to touch it. He knows for sure that he can not get the dash board to fit ever again, once he pulls it.

The dealership thinks they might be able to get it to fit again, mostly, but not without squeaks and shakes.

Either way neither of them will diagnose the heater.

But hey it is neat, I can tell you exactly how far you can drive before your breath begins freezing on the interior of the windows.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

When a 10 year old saab's heater stops working, they tell you that all of the controls and links for the car's heater are inside the ductwork. To diagnose the heater, they must pull the dashboard. They are not sure if they will be able to get the dashboard to fit tight ever again. and the shop fee to pull the ductwork to diagnose the heater, is equal to totalling the car.

Anything that they replace or fix, after that [like the heater] would be far beyond the value of the car.

I have been to the saab dealership, and to the best local mechanic's shop. The local mechanic refuses to touch it. He knows for sure that he can not get the dash board to fit ever again, once he pulls it.

The dealership thinks they might be able to get it to fit again, mostly, but not without squeaks and shakes.

But hey it is neat, I can tell you exactly how far you can drive before your breath begins freezing on the interior of the windows.
Never had anything like that happen to us! Get rid of it! A 10 Y/O anything is just about at the end of it's serviceable life anyway! Either that or drive it in the summer.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:07 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,458,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

HA! Well, that explains your post on the other thread about no heater in car since fall 07. Yet another reason why I buy American made vehicles.
My van is going strong at 200k with little by way of issues save regular maintenance. I gave it to my friend 2 years ago at 140k in trade for carpentry work as I'd inherited my dads truck. It's a Chrysler Town and Country and is hauling 2 adults, 3 kids and a dog all over the Cape.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
HA! Well, that explains your post on the other thread about no heater in car since fall 07. Yet another reason why I buy American made vehicles.
My van is going strong at 200k with little by way of issues save regular maintenance. I gave it to my friend 2 years ago at 140k in trade for carpentry work as I'd inherited my dads truck. It's a Chrysler Town and Country and is hauling 2 adults, 3 kids and a dog all over the Cape.
You may not be able to buy American vehicles much longer!!!

Old 12-11-2008, 10:16 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,458,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
You may not be able to buy American vehicles much longer!!!
It's okay... I keep them at least 10 years usually anyway. This one is an 04 and only has 54k on it and that's because I've done 8 trips between Fla and the Cape in that time frame. I don't go to work everyday like most folks, so it's used little.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
It's okay... I keep them at least 10 years usually anyway. This one is an 04 and only has 54k on it and that's because I've done 8 trips between Fla and the Cape in that time frame. I don't go to work everyday like most folks, so it's used little.
Me either but that may change!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine