Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 09:20 PM

37,496 posts, read 61,484,089 times

Advertisements

An odd thing is happening, this afternoon a loud pop, and a circuit breaker tripped.

In the basement I found a cloud of smoke and the smoke of ozone. Some of the romex wiring had water inside the insulation, had arced between the wires and blew apart. So I cut them, cleaned them, and re-connected everything. Turned the breaker back on and tested the circuit. It feeds our sewage pump and sump pumps.

Then just now at 11pm, POP!

So I went down into the basement, and another POP and a fire-ball fell from one stretch of the romex wiring. I shut off the circuit and examined the wiring closely. It is warm, at that one spot a blackened scorch mark. but no other damage.

Perhaps by being submerged, water has soaked through the outer plastic insulation, the inner paper wrapping on the ground wire is very wet. But still both the line wires still have seemingly solid rubber insulation on them. So I do not see where or how a short is happening.

Hmm.

Any ideas?

Three conductor Romex wiring 12-2 should be capable of getting wet.

Do I need to replace all of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 09:51 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,207,855 times
i dont think you will have to replace it forest .but you will need to get it dryed out.
pop a cpl of you basement windowes out and let the air in .after the water is outtake one of them hand sprayers you no the ones you pump up and mix a solution of 2 to1 bleach.2 parts water 1 part bleach .to fend off any mold that will start growing.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:47 PM

387 posts, read 608,294 times
I live in Fort Kent, near a brook no less. But we're safe, since we don't live downtown. The brook gave us a scare though. I guess you guys saw that YouTube video taken from a helicopter? It was BAD downtown. I don't know how long it'll take to recover from this.

Those apartments in the very beginning of that aerial view of the chopper video? My sister-in-law's mother lived in one of the 12 units, and here's what the aftermath looked like, taken by my sister-in-law:

YouTube - fort kent flood damage may 2008

YouTube - fort kent flood 2008

I heard the water got up to the eaves! Channel 4 up here showed some of the damage too. Horrible stuff. We got off scott free though, which seems unfair, but that's the way nature works I guess. *shrug*

Old 05-12-2008, 02:17 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,493,578 times
Forest I read up on the romex that gets wet and conventional wisdom (for once it makes sense) says replace what is giving you trouble. The wet paper is the issue. Did you have any petroleum in the water in the basement? Water does not necessarily make it unusable, but any contaminant in the water could. I know that sounds like a dumb answer, but that is what the code says paraphrased. Other sections of code specify that the romex that was wet has to be replaced. I sort of agree with replace what is giving you a problem. It will take some time for the water to dry out of the cable. Is the cable that is giving you an issue under a fair load? One source said that wiring under a good load warms the insulation, and any pinholes get larger allowing the water to penetrate to the conductor. Since you said it was on a pump, then it might have more load than just a lighting circuit.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:45 PM

maine4.us -
Quote:
I read up on the romex that gets wet and conventional wisdom (for once it makes sense) says replace what is giving you trouble
I did.

Quote:
The wet paper is the issue
I agree.

Quote:
Did you have any petroleum in the water in the basement?

um, no.

Raw sewage, grease and lard from the grey-water transfer station, and a lot of WVO [maybe a dozen 5-gallon containers of filtered WVO, sealed and sometimes with drippage].

But no real petro.

Quote:
Water does not necessarily make it unusable, but any contaminant in the water could.
I fully understand that pure water does not conduct, ionized water does, and it is up to the contaminant levels.

I sort of have a background in that.

It just had not occurred to me that my romex would give me this kind of issue.

Quote:
I know that sounds like a dumb answer, but that is what the code says paraphrased. Other sections of code specify that the romex that was wet has to be replaced. I sort of agree with replace what is giving you a problem. It will take some time for the water to dry out of the cable. Is the cable that is giving you an issue under a fair load? One source said that wiring under a good load warms the insulation, and any pinholes get larger allowing the water to penetrate to the conductor. Since you said it was on a pump, then it might have more load than just a lighting circuit.
This is heavier gauge [12ga] romex as it supplies our grey-water pump, our black-water pump, our sump pumps and a drop light. Normally no two of these things would ever be running at the same time.

I had a bunch of un-used 14ga laying around [left over from lighting circuits], but had no spare 12ga to make the repair with. So I was rather ticked that I had to buy more 12ga.

I just figure that the cost of this 12ga romex is a part of the 'flood damage' tally.

Thanks.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:59 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,886,126 times
Glad to read you changed the romex out Forest. Regular romex is NOT suitable for being wet. After it does get soaked, like it sounds like yours did, even after drying out it will will corrode and just cause problems down the line.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:04 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,493,578 times
It was weird the contaminants they listed: antifreeze? in house wiring??? oh well.....They listed some others but that was one that sort of stumped me. Anti-freeze in a house in the basement? Of course if you winterize in Maine you might have a form of that....

I bet you do, I bet salt water plays havoc!!!

Old 05-12-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Glad to read you changed the romex out Forest. Regular romex is NOT suitable for being wet. After it does get soaked, like it sounds like yours did, even after drying out it will will corrode and just cause problems down the line.
Still pretty damp down there too.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
It was weird the contaminants they listed: antifreeze? in house wiring??? oh well.....They listed some others but that was one that sort of stumped me. Anti-freeze in a house in the basement? Of course if you winterize in Maine you might have a form of that....

I bet you do, I bet salt water plays havoc!!!
I have worked on wiring that had been exposed to salt water flooding, it corrodes everything.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:51 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,690,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I have worked on wiring that had been exposed to salt water flooding, it corrodes everything.
There was an old song by the B-52's...Romex If You Want To...I liked that song
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine