Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2008, 02:39 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,886,126 times

Advertisements

Yeah they just called a flash flood warning for Washburn because it looks like we are going to lose the old mill dams this evening sometime. They are expecting a 7' surge to follow Salmon Brook all the way to the Aroostook. We will be high and dry at my house, but if it goes it will probably take the bridge out just below the dam which will make a 1/2 mile trip to the school for the boys into a 10 mile trip. Lets hope it holds out for one more season. Water is already breaching the top and crumbling the face of the earthen part of the dam, if that goes it is for sure going to take out the lower dam as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 02:51 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,690,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Yeah they just called a flash flood warning for Washburn because it looks like we are going to lose the old mill dams this evening sometime. They are expecting a 7' surge to follow Salmon Brook all the way to the Aroostook. We will be high and dry at my house, but if it goes it will probably take the bridge out just below the dam which will make a 1/2 mile trip to the school for the boys into a 10 mile trip. Lets hope it holds out for one more season. Water is already breaching the top and crumbling the face of the earthen part of the dam, if that goes it is for sure going to take out the lower dam as well.
Wow You guys up there are getting it bad! They said on the news today the water is higher than any time in the past. I hope people get out of the way of that water. I hate to see people try crossing streams and brooks only to get swept down stream. Good luck to everyone affected by these floods. Hang in there!

Old 04-30-2008, 04:52 PM

37,500 posts, read 61,484,089 times
20.7 ft

We have a lot in our basement, and our house is surrounded on three sides by water.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:20 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,396,072 times
Oh Forest!! I hope it drops fast. I'm sorry you're getting wet there and hope it all turns out okay for you all.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:25 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,435,447 times
Oh! Is that common, Forest? Is the jacuzzi flooded? Just don't let it damage our heated towel rack!

Old 04-30-2008, 05:41 PM

The jacuzzi sprung a leak a month back, so we had been topping it off each day. On 1 Apr we decided to drain it. Then when our first batch of chicks hatched in our incubator, we decided to put them into the jacuzzi. So we have had chicks in the jacuzzi. Well today the rising water in our home floated the jacuzzi up. So among other things, I setup a brooder for the chicks on our floor, and brought the chicks up out of the jacuzzi. We have also had two kids in our basement, where we had been bottle-feeding them. Then this morning we threw some pallets down to give them a platform up above the water line to stand on. Alas the pallets are now a raft, so we rescued the kids and put them in our bathroom.

I have two electric sump pumps going, and we setup our gas Ag pump. We played with the pump and had a hard time getting it started, finally we got it running, but the 2" suction hose has a quick-connect fitting and the Ag pump has a threaded fitting. In all of our mess, I have misplaced the adapter. sigh

Tomorrow I will get an adapter for it.

I put my bread in the oven late, so we are waiting for it to brown. Another glass of wine, a bowl of homemade Turkey stew and fresh sourdough bread.

I have lived through much worse conditions.

Things will get better.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:51 PM

Well, what a man wouldn't give for a jacuzzi full of chicks!

Old 04-30-2008, 05:57 PM

653 posts, read 1,920,631 times
Quote:
I put my bread in the oven late, so we are waiting for it to brown. Another glass of wine, a bowl of homemade Turkey stew and fresh sourdough bread.
there you go, dine and wine on 270 degree water front.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:09 PM

Hey, some people pay a pretty penny to eat in those water view restaurants!

Old 04-30-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Well, what a man wouldn't give for a jacuzzi full of chicks!
LOL

Oh yes, this is the life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine