Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2008, 09:30 AM

1,670 posts, read 4,374,410 times

Advertisements

I hope things recede for you folks with the water issues. I'll be keeping an eye on the Colorado forum over the next month or so...our massive snowpack in the mountains is likely to melt off too fast and cause some serious flooding, as well as whitewater rafting deaths.

If I ever move to Maine, I'm going to make sure that our domain is situated higher up and out of harm's way where flooding is concerned. I love how Forest just keeps a cool head about the whole thing...almost making light of a bad situation....I'm pretty sure I'd be in 'full freakout' mode...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 10:42 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,196,924 times

Johnny Cash "How High is The Water Momma"

Old 05-01-2008, 12:10 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,886,126 times
Just went into Presque Isle for a dump run, and I have to say I don't think I have ever seen the Aroostook river so high.

Hope you are hanging in there Forest!

Old 05-01-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
my thoughts exactly! long live the Man in Black....

Old 05-01-2008, 12:47 PM

411 posts, read 900,041 times
Just got back from Forest's house... it is indeed bad. Star is right about the living room, I think it's roughly 4 feet down or so, and the water has risen so that only about 2 feet of it are above water, and it was still rising while I was there. There is water on 3 sides of his house, and it is lapping at the doorsill. There is nowhere for the ag pump to pump water out, since it's basically flooded the entire yard. At this point they are running it simply to try and stay level where they are, and not get anymore flooded. Our road is closed about 2 miles from their house, since the road is under about a foot or two of water... for roughly I'd say a good 500 foot stretch. Thankfully there is another way out. For now. The houses down there have water right up to the backdoors, and the guy who has cattle on our road has moved his cattle up to the front yard, along w/ most of his equipment. The barn is flooded at this point. Water is everywhere, and is still rising it seems. I don't think we've seen the worst of it.

While I was there Forest and I took the kayaks to the back of the house and did "Operation Great Chicken Rescue"... as he found that about 2 1/2 dozen of the hens were roosting in the coop that was underwater. He's lost roughly half dozen chickens to drowning. But we got the remaining birds out, and onto dry land. The birds are high and dry, can't say the same for Forest and I. A rooster flew at my head, and threw me off balance. That of course dumped me into the water. WOW that is cold!!! Roughly 35 degrees I hear. I am home, and dried off, and Forest and B are still trying to keep their heads above water, pun intended. lol He's handling it well, and realizes there is not much they can do as of now, but stay positive. He appreciates all the thoughts, prayers, and well wishes.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:51 PM

wow, that really sucks...which brings to mind the question of flood insurance in the aftermath of all this...hopefully they've got it covered in their policy, should the worst-case scenario play out. Ugh.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:26 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,976,102 times
Oh my goodness - next to fire, a home flooding is one of the worst things I can think of, I sure hope Forest and family will be OK.

Please keep us updated, I know we're all worried about him, you and others in that flood area. Does he have flood insurance?

The pictures I've seen on the news websites are terrible. Please all of you, be safe.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:26 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,196,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiddinAroundFarm View Post
Just got back from Forest's house... it is indeed bad...
Let's all work on some prayers. I understand they work

G I'm sorry for you and your animals' losses

Old 05-01-2008, 01:33 PM

411 posts, read 900,041 times
I will pass on your wishes and prayer folks, and let him know you are thinking of him and his family.

Flood insurance, I don't know for sure, but pretty sure he doesn't have any, since this was totally unexpected. They had a marker that had been set at a point where the water rose to 50 years ago... and they built the house about 50-75 feet from that I'd estimate. It should have been fine, but this is worse than anyone expected ever.

I will keep you updated as I talk to him, let's hope the river starts going down. And soon.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:46 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,886,126 times
Usually you have to build inside the 100 year flood plane to be able to get flood insurance. They are saying this years waters are much higher than they have ever been in locations, so there are going to be people who are flooded out that would not have been able to even get flood insurance. (before this year of course, kind of bassackwards if you ask me)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine