Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2020, 03:08 PM

123 posts, read 108,079 times

Advertisements

Congratulations on closing, though it's sad to hear your frustrations surrounding Covid-19 and the terrible impacts it's having in the process. I can feel the frustration in your text! But just a little more time and things should settle, even where I am things are slowly returning somewhere closer to normal.

I can almost see your long struggle mirroring what I might find in twenty five years. My wife and I are currently looking to move northward to raise a family in some place ... different from where we both grew up (Baltimore). We have visited Maine and researched it to hell, and it's been a dream of ours for the last two years. However, we are finding it more and more likely that we will end up in CT, RI, or MA instead of Maine due to my work. She's finally gone full-remote (a benefit of Covid, it's prompted her company to accelerate their plans to phasing in work-from-home, and have announced it will be full-time even after the virus abates). I am not so lucky (government). Unless I can somehow find something in Kittery and live within driving distance of there, I find my chances better for somewhere else in New England.

Nonetheless, we will continue to visit and love Maine as the years go on. We will embed that love into our children, and swear not to be touristy a-holes. And then, God willing, we will be able to retire (at least half the year!) to our dream to enjoy the twilight of our lives. And your journey has been educational to say the least, so I wanted to thank you so very much for chronicling it for everyone to read here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2020, 09:10 AM

337 posts, read 429,245 times
Hi all

We've made initial arrangements to meet a realtor up Friendship, ME and look at three houses up there for sale. We've been able to make some sleeping arrangments, too! We won't disclose that information but rest assured we'll be practicing social distancing and masking and gloving so we don't drag any virus up North with us. I know this is nothing to joke about. My daughter is the Adminstrative VP of three hospitals here in CT and she has explained this all in detail. But life has to go on and we do need to find a place to live or we'll be living in our van. We'll certainly post up here with how things go.

Old 05-10-2020, 09:27 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffler View Post
Hi all

We've made initial arrangements to meet a realtor up Friendship, ME and look at three houses up there for sale. We've been able to make some sleeping arrangments, too! We won't disclose that information but rest assured we'll be practicing social distancing and masking and gloving so we don't drag any virus up North with us. I know this is nothing to joke about. My daughter is the Adminstrative VP of three hospitals here in CT and she has explained this all in detail. But life has to go on and we do need to find a place to live or we'll be living in our van. We'll certainly post up here with how things go.
Good luck

Old 05-10-2020, 10:25 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,513,658 times
We once flew to Manchester, and drove as far as the roads would take us in Nova Scotia--Cape Breton Island. It was about the same distance as driving from North Alabama to Boston.

On our way back, we found in Maine all the lobster shacks and beautiful inlets along the coast that we didn't find in Eastern Canada. And we just loved Camden with all their tall masted sailing ships in the harbor on a beautiful summer day.

Good for you finding the place you want to live.

Old 05-11-2020, 06:36 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,558 times
Quote:
Hi all

We've gotten some clarification from our management on this.

I received a response late yesterday from the Dept. of Economic & Community Development and have reviewed it with our Coldwell Banker Realty Legal Department.
The short answer is : “No, out of state buyers do NOT need to self-quarantine in order to view a property. Seeing real estate is considered “Engaging in Essential Services”

“To preserve the public health and safety, to ensure the public health and health delivery system are capable of serving all, and to help protect those at the highest risk and vulnerability, any person, resident or non-resident, traveling into Maine must immediately self-quarantine for 14 days or for the balance of 14 days dating from the day of arrival, except when engaging in essential services as defined in Executive Order 19FY 19/20.”

Here are the guidelines from the Maine Real Estate Commission that have been in place for several weeks:

https://www.maine.gov/decd/sites/mai...Guidelines.pdf

Best of luck to you, we are dealing with a severe shortage of available homes in Cumberland and York Counties, your agent should be able to give you the statistics in that area.

Old 05-11-2020, 07:41 AM

My son and daughter in law took my granddaughter up to Maine from Boston yesterday. They decided they needed to get out of the house for a few hours. The first went to Portland to buy some of those famous donuts that we've all raved about. No problem doing that. Then they went to Kennebunkport and were greeted with concrete barriers blocking parking near the beach. Same at Wells. Too bad. They were able to walk on the beach from what I understand but they said the place was closed down tight.

Hopefully Maine along with some of the other states including my state of Connecticut will see the light and place the responsibility of behavoir squarely on the shoulders of the citizens instead of treating us like inmates in our own homes. But, I don't want this to become a political discussion. We are trying to be excited to actually be heading North for the purpose of finding a new spot on the planet Earth that we can call home once again. At age 68 this should not be so damned hard. We have enough money but it seems like every possible obsticle has been thrown up at us: delays in closing, death in the family, another estate to close, pandemic, etc., etc. What's next? Volcano? Asteroid landing in Lubec? LOL

We are anticipating heading up there a week from today. We'll keep you all posted and maybe have some photos just for context.

Old 05-14-2020, 08:13 AM

We needed a hotel to stay on Monday night in Brunswick.......

We found a room at "The Brunswick Inn" for Monday Night. Crisis averted! Thanks!

Last edited by Cuffler; 05-14-2020 at 08:57 AM..

Old 05-14-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
We needed a hotel to stay on Monday night in Brunswick.......

We found a room at "The Brunswick Inn" for Monday Night. Crisis averted! Thanks!
I have a buyer from New York who wants to see homes tomorrow in York County and he said he's staying in an AirBnB in Westbrook. Have you checked that site?

I'm having a very difficult time finding houses in his price range, you definitely want the agent to confirm all three house (especially your favorite) are still available before making the trip.

Old 05-14-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
I have a buyer from New York who wants to see homes tomorrow in York County and he said he's staying in an AirBnB in Westbrook. Have you checked that site?

I'm having a very difficult time finding houses in his price range, you definitely want the agent to confirm all three house (especially your favorite) are still available before making the trip.
I think my post crossed with your edited post!

Old 05-14-2020, 09:56 AM

900 posts, read 683,306 times
Thank you for this information about real estate as essential services. We are supposed to close on a house in Maine next week and need to get out there and open it, get water running, put in a toilet so that we can stay there and paint etc before moving out there later this summer.

Any and all info about your trip and travel is much appreciated, as we are kind of stumped as to how to do some of these things, but if real estate is considered an essential service, that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine