Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2019, 07:57 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffler View Post
After a wonderful time up North exploring some of the very rural areas below Belfast and other towns, we are home once again. A shout out about the Wiscasset Woods Lodge. We broke our trip home as we usually do when exploring and found this place and enjoyed the room very much. Nice people, too.

We have found, we believe, the broker for us. This firm, a private brokerage, sold 175 homes last year with only 10 employees. They approached us knowing that we have had two failed attempts. They only listed 75 on their own so they actually sold 100 homes that other brokerages had placed on the market. They have, they've said, a list of people who would love to see our home and will market it until it's sold. Talk about an operation! The owner and his wife work together and visited last night. I'm crossing my fingers that 3rd time is the charm. We so badly want to be out of here now. Our Gov has just decided he needs to charge tax on.......food. Anything that is readily eatable like donuts or sandwiches and other prepared foods. 7.35%, too. Unbelievable! Will keep you posted. Wish us luck!
Good luck to you then
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 05:24 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,233,524 times
Hoping third time is the charm. Good luck!

Old 09-16-2019, 06:29 AM

12 posts, read 9,936 times
As an avid watcher of your journey (and a future trekker), I too am wishing you the best of luck! I eagerly await good news and look forward to that first post you make in your new Maine home

Old 10-16-2019, 08:09 AM

337 posts, read 429,167 times
Just a quick update. Well, after two failed attempts we seem to finally have located a realtor who knows how to work and truly market the properties they represent. We signed a contract with them only mid-September. On the FIRST DAY (!) we got a call for a showing. The following weekend they held an open house and six potential buyers spent two hours examining the house and asking lots of questions. Their surveys showed that we are at the sweet-spot for price/sq ', too. There are two couples who were more than interested. Since then we've had two additional showings and we have one at 4pm tonight. One drove in from Rhode Island (quite a drive). So we are very much buoyed up by all this activity and are hoping these visits will turn up a buyer.

On another front, we continue to close things down. My wife put in for her retirement from UTC! We had hoped that they might put together a buy-out package and, Miracles of miracles they actually made an offer of a buyout based on your age, years of service. She qualified on all fronts and, after a lot of discussion, we agreed it was time for her to move on. So, November 30th will be her last day and they'll pay her until March of next year plus a bonus. And if that wasn't enough the day after she filed, she got a call from one of the labs that she had contract work with over the years and they offered her an opportunity to work part time.....from home, name her rate. She has a stellar reputation in the industry and it shows when that happens. She's also been told that there will be another company contacting her in the near future for essentially the same thing. She manages the permits that the EPA/DEEEP inflict on manufacturers here in CT and knows her way 'round them as well as the inspectors.

So, things have begun to move forward instead of being in stasis. There is some direction to our lives, finally. There is still a lot to do and go through. I have begun looking at properties farther west, just west of Augusta. There are a TON of places available and the prices are extremely affordable, kind of like they were East of Wiscasset about five years ago. And a lot of it is beautiful lake front but it's still and easy drive East to Camden, Belfast, etc.

Sure hope we can sell this house for the price we're asking. We'll soon see, I think!

Cabinetman

Old 10-16-2019, 08:59 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Wow, that's great news. It's amazing what a committed agent can do for you. Glad things are looking up. Funny how things seem to fall in place as they should. Congrats and keep us posted.

Old 11-02-2019, 07:06 AM

11/1/2019 Things have really continued to pick up on the home sale front, so much so that we actually got a hard offer! We never thought we'd see one. This one was wasn't what we were looking for so we are waiting to see if the potential buyer will step up. If not, we're not concerned because we had two showings this past week and are having another this morning at 11am. Our broker says they've hit the sweet spot with people looking for a home like ours and other offers are to be expected. Fingers crossed!! IT would be great to sell before Christmas.

My wife also is retiring on Nov 26th! So much happening so quickly!

Old 11-02-2019, 09:23 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
11/1/2019 Things have really continued to pick up on the home sale front, so much so that we actually got a hard offer! We never thought we'd see one. This one was wasn't what we were looking for so we are waiting to see if the potential buyer will step up. If not, we're not concerned because we had two showings this past week and are having another this morning at 11am. Our broker says they've hit the sweet spot with people looking for a home like ours and other offers are to be expected. Fingers crossed!! IT would be great to sell before Christmas.

Great news, and I hope it continues! I have been eagerly watching your journey. I LOVE your Connecticut house and wish I could transport it to a few acres here in New Hampshire (or even better, Maine after I retire!)! As you and your new Realtor have said, it just takes the right kind of buyer who can appreciate that charming house.

Old 11-02-2019, 10:15 AM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:

Fingers crossed for you here as well

Old 11-08-2019, 02:34 AM

28 posts, read 29,065 times
I hope you met with success!

Old 11-13-2019, 05:56 PM

Update.

Got a hard offer that we've accepted. Now they have to confirm our acceptance and we'll be on our way to a closing in early JAnuary! Holding our breaths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine