Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2019, 08:58 AM

898 posts, read 597,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I guess you missed the OP's post, the one that's 4 posts above yours ...

I've loved reading this thread since Maine is likely where I will go if I decide not to stay in New Hampshire after retirement (mostly due to insane property taxes, which are fine while I'm working but probably not so when I'm not!). Cuffler, please come back and update us!

I understood it completely. He hasn't been able to sell his house. His mother in law needs live in assistance so he and his wife are going to temporarily move in to his mother in law's. If she passes or has to go to a nursing home his wife is going to be in charge of selling her mother's house/estate. I don't even know how they can move out of state if his wife's mom needs care.

I've been taking care of my dad for 5 years now. We had a tiff two months ago and he is now trying to get my sisters and one of my nephews to do his grocery shopping. They are failing MISERABLY. They have no clue. He is just too stubborn to admit that he .... up, and give me money to buy his food and things. If I can convince my wife to go, I see NH in my future and we have no house to sell. I'm done with CT as well, and can't find work....can't even get an interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 09:07 AM

337 posts, read 429,167 times
Jim G2, I completely understand your frustration with Red's and the bottleneck at the bridge. If someone steps off the curb the traffic has to stop and it backs up instantly especially in the summer. However, the State has prevailed and is going to create a divergent point before you get into the town, moving traffic around the back side of the town and back to the bridge entrance. At least that's what I was told and the construction had started last time we drove through. I know that a lot of people would love to have that bottle neck removed once and for all.

We have been getting a number of 'hits' on our listing and there will be another open house this Sunday. We have also discussed the broker's open house with our agent. She, like us, is ready to try anything but it will require us to find that family who needs the space this house offers. One family had 4 kids and was adopting two more. This place would fit them and offer then a nice back yard and walking to school. We'll see.....

Old 04-23-2019, 09:27 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
I guess you missed the OP's post, the one that's 4 posts above yours ...

I've loved reading this thread since Maine is likely where I will go if I decide not to stay in New Hampshire after retirement (mostly due to insane property taxes, which are fine while I'm working but probably not so when I'm not!). Cuffler, please come back and update us!
Have you looked at areas of the eastern Lakes Region for properties in NH? Property taxes are very reasonable there and lots of retirees. Prices are quite good away from any lakes. I think rural areas of Wakefield, Tuftonboro, and Moultonboro offer very good deals if you know where to look...

Old 04-23-2019, 09:34 AM

[quote=Cuffler;55010968]Jim G2, I completely understand your frustration with Red's and the bottleneck at the bridge. If someone steps off the curb the traffic has to stop and it backs up instantly especially in the summer. However, the State has prevailed and is going to create a divergent point before you get into the town, moving traffic around the back side of the town and back to the bridge entrance. At least that's what I was told and the construction had started last time we drove through. I know that a lot of people would love to have that bottle neck removed once and for all.

We have been getting a number of 'hits' on our listing and there will be another open house this Sunday. We have also discussed the broker's open house with our agent. She, like us, is ready to try anything but it will require us to find that family who needs the space this house offers. One family had 4 kids and was adopting two more. This place would fit them and offer then a nice back yard and walking to school. We'll see.....[quote]

Oh, did not have a problem with Red's except for the wait. We were close to done eating when the accident occurred. Then the 40 minute line evaporated....LOL. but we were totally blocked in. We were basically on a "lobster roll and antiquing" tour anyway and killed some time in the few shops.

Hope you get a sale soon. Good luck with your mother inlaw

Old 04-24-2019, 05:48 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,233,524 times
That drop to $249k was a great move. Gives you all the buyers looking for houses up to $250k. Should open you up to a lot more buyers. One thing I noticed, is there not a bathroom on the first floor?

Old 04-24-2019, 07:15 AM

337 posts, read 429,167 times
Nope. Never was. It would be easy to put in but we opted to keep the floor plan as it was when it was built. The 2nd floor bathroom was th only one in the house initially. I 100% overhauled it as it looked like the outhouse it replaced. The master was created by us. Believe it or not with 3 kids we never missed the bathroom on the first floor. If a buyer sees the space and wants to do that fine. IT'll be easy because the basement is fully open below so piping will be super easy. Good catch!

Old 04-24-2019, 02:39 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
I understood it completely. He hasn't been able to sell his house. His mother in law needs live in assistance so he and his wife are going to temporarily move in to his mother in law's. If she passes or has to go to a nursing home his wife is going to be in charge of selling her mother's house/estate. I don't even know how they can move out of state if his wife's mom needs care.
I apologize, I misunderstood you! When you wrote that they were going from one house that couldn't sell to two houses, I thought you meant that they were buying their house in Maine before selling their house in Connecticut. I didn't realize you were thinking of the OP's in-laws' house as THEIR house, although you are right, it could be at some point ... which could be difficult if houses in some parts of CT are taking a long time to sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffler View Post
Nope [i.e. no bathroom on the first floor]. Never was. It would be easy to put in but we opted to keep the floor plan as it was when it was built. The 2nd floor bathroom was th only one in the house initially. I 100% overhauled it as it looked like the outhouse it replaced. The master was created by us. Believe it or not with 3 kids we never missed the bathroom on the first floor. If a buyer sees the space and wants to do that fine. IT'll be easy because the basement is fully open below so piping will be super easy. Good catch!
I didn't even notice that when I looked at the listing -- I just thought the house was beautiful. When I was growing up I lived in enlisted base housing (I was an Air Force brat) and we often had only 1 bathroom. In our New Hampshire housing (when Pease Air Force Base was still there), it was a 2-story, 3-bedroom, 1-bath house, and the only bathroom was at the top of the stairs. So it might not be ideal, but it's certainly do-able.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
[Directed at me, not the OP] Have you looked at areas of the eastern Lakes Region for properties in NH? Property taxes are very reasonable there and lots of retirees. Prices are quite good away from any lakes. I think rural areas of Wakefield, Tuftonboro, and Moultonboro offer very good deals if you know where to look...
Don't want to hijack the thread -- just wanted to answer quickly that I may look at those places, although honestly, if I were going to stay in New Hampshire, I'd likely just stay put as I love my house and my neighborhood. Out of curiosity, though, I WILL check on their property taxes!

Old 04-24-2019, 06:36 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
I apologize, I misunderstood you! When you wrote that they were going from one house that couldn't sell to two houses, I thought you meant that they were buying their house in Maine before selling their house in Connecticut. I didn't realize you were thinking of the OP's in-laws' house as THEIR house, although you are right, it could be at some point ... which could be difficult if houses in some parts of CT are taking a long time to sell.

I didn't even notice that when I looked at the listing -- I just thought the house was beautiful. When I was growing up I lived in enlisted base housing (I was an Air Force brat) and we often had only 1 bathroom. In our New Hampshire housing (when Pease Air Force Base was still there), it was a 2-story, 3-bedroom, 1-bath house, and the only bathroom was at the top of the stairs. So it might not be ideal, but it's certainly do-able.

Don't want to hijack the thread -- just wanted to answer quickly that I may look at those places, although honestly, if I were going to stay in New Hampshire, I'd likely just stay put as I love my house and my neighborhood. Out of curiosity, though, I WILL check on their property taxes!
No problem, tax rates in those towns range from $7.70 to $11.00 per $1,000 assessed value, about 60% less than most towns in southern NH!

Old 06-27-2019, 10:52 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,233,524 times
I just can't believe this house hasnt sold yet. Is the market that bad in Connecticut??

Old 06-27-2019, 11:06 AM

Yes... yes it is. And unfortunately the OP has a big house with only one bathroom on the main floor and all of the bedrooms are on the second floor. Any modern house that size has at least 2.5 bathrooms
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine